Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Options
    Is there much point in loans at this point? We’re not going down and very doubtful we are going up either. Focusing on preparing our own younger players for next season 
    In many ways loans are the best option for us at the moment. We don't know who's going to be in charge of the club next season or how much money they'll be willing to spend. We don't want to splash out big on players that possible new owners might not want to pay for, nor do we want to give long contracts to players who might be lower down than a new ownership would go for. That's clearly the strategy judging by Bonne's short term deal. Edun is a good example too; it's apparently a loan to buy, which gives flexibility, but if he's injured or not going to be allowed to go out then we'll likely get a different loan in and then go back in for Edun in the summer if he's still a target we want. We're still just one or two injuries away from being in a dark place, filling out squad places is always worth it, even if it's short-term
  • Options
    Pudds said:
    I'm getting an advert for executive jets between here and Switzerland...
    The only adverts we should get on here are for The Samaritans

I phoned up the *Samaritans and said I want to quit being a Charlton fan; they talked me out of it.

* Superb organisation that will listen to your woes. It's good to talk.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Richard J said:
    Tolaji Bola of Rotherham has joined Bradford on loan. He was one of the left backs I thought we might go after.

I think I know his brother Tom

Bingo.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Richard J said:
    Tolaji Bola of Rotherham has joined Bradford on loan. He was one of the left backs I thought we might go after.

He’s got one called E as well.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    A left Footed Left  back with some pace.
    Mantra to Steve Gallen. TBF I understand it's not for the want of trying recently.

If Sessegnon could play every match then we could get by despite Stephen not being   
    A left Footed Left  back/wing back like his brother Ryan. 

A cursed position for Charlton is the LB even before Wiggins and Page ( just realized that Lewis went from Exeter to Mansfield and is now at Harrogate)

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    Richard J said:

He’s got one called E as well.
    Isn't he the one who's a bit sickly?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is there much point in loans at this point? We’re not going down and very doubtful we are going up either. Focusing on preparing our own younger players for next season 
     So send back Rak-Sakyi then?

Personally we need to aim to finish as high as possible in the league to remain an attractive proposition to young players that could earn their first silverware with us getting promoted next season.
    Completely - we need to project we are a club on an upward trajectory - not one that’s crashing and burning
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    sam3110 said:
    I wonder if, due to the nature of our problem with no fit left back in the squad whatsoever, and even the makeshift players there now being injured, if we'll move on to a different target anyway even if Edun is ok and not injured himself 
    We have Toby Bower in the Academy squad. Well worth a game in the first team.
    How many times have you seen him play? You think a 17 year old that's never been named in any squad whatsoever and who's name doesn't come up when people talk about our prospects in the youth is ready to play 90+ minutes of men's football at the drop of a hat?
    As I attend the games at Princes Park I have seen him play on numerous occasions. Good enough to captain the under 18s. Scored 5 goals this season, very mobile, good attacker with superb crosses. Excellent free kicks.
    And therefore good enough to be thrust into the first XI right?

Hogwash, and I note you don't say anything about his defensive qualities, something imperative in a left back. 

It's that mentality from the club as a whole that's got us into this mess, look at Charlie Barker, Deji Elewere or Charles Clayden for instance. 

We shouldn't be playing an untried 17 year old in a league fixture because there's literally no-one else, unless they are the next Joe Gomez
  • Options
    I’ll be pleased and surprised if there are any more incomings this month, I think the 2 we got were hangovers they couldn’t get over the line in the last window, I think they’ll be a few more outgoing, providing they’ll stump up the wages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Although play offs is unlikely it’s not out of the question. Also there are loans that could lead to permanents, like Todd Kane. No harm in a try before you buy loan 
    I think our next two games will either end the speculation about our chances of the playoffs or turn us into mathematical lunatics as we work out the points needed, I think both games are winnable. 
  • Options
    It's all gone a bit quiet. Depending on whether Sess is injured or not, we desperately need a LB in before Saturday
    At this rate, can see our back four being the setup that finished the game against Barnsley  :#
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/thechelseaspot/status/1615379805041721344?s=21

Can’t see this posted elsewhere, Burstow for a third time?

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Personally we need to aim to finish as high as possible in the league to remain an attractive proposition to young players that could earn their first silverware with us getting promoted next season.
    I wouldn't send back the ones we already have I just don't think it’s a good idea to be using 5 loan plays in a game. I think Sess & Kane are outside chances of permanent signings anyway. We are just giving other teams players game time for no real gain. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    In many ways loans are the best option for us at the moment. We don't know who's going to be in charge of the club next season or how much money they'll be willing to spend. We don't want to splash out big on players that possible new owners might not want to pay for, nor do we want to give long contracts to players who might be lower down than a new ownership would go for. That's clearly the strategy judging by Bonne's short term deal. Edun is a good example too; it's apparently a loan to buy, which gives flexibility, but if he's injured or not going to be allowed to go out then we'll likely get a different loan in and then go back in for Edun in the summer if he's still a target we want. We're still just one or two injuries away from being in a dark place, filling out squad places is always worth it, even if it's short-term
    Yeah I'm a fan of loans. I think it's a way to get in players of a certain quality that you might not otherwise have access. Sometimes you get players who love the club and want to come back (Williams, Leko, Cullen, etc.). And it helps with the budget, having good players but not wanting to pay them everything. 

The difference between Chin or Clayden and Sess or hopefully Edun is massive. Same could be said for JRS compared to Campbell. Or Bonne (who was originally supposed to be loaned) compared to Daniel Kanu. Our players are just not as good now, and I think all of the loan players have more potential for the future. Pelling1993 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I wouldn't send back the ones we already have I just don't think it’s a good idea to be using 5 loan plays in a game. I think Sess & Kane are outside chances of permanent signings anyway. We are just giving other teams players game time for no real gain. 
    The gain is us winning games. You also risk burning out your young players if you overexpose them to the rigors of League One. Burstow last season is a good example, looked good in cameos, but when asked to play week in, week out, he just wasn't ready. We've seen that with Chin and Clayden this year. Kanu had one decent game but isn't ready to play week in, week out. If you give them too much, too young you risk destroying their confidence and hindering their development. 

Worst case scenario is if Clare goes on a brilliant run of form, or Egbo comes back and is excellent, you can just not play Kane. But Kane looks like our best "fit" RB at the moment, and again, there is a chance of signing him at the end of the year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't say I see a need to consider resigning him now we have Bonne, but anyone know how young Mason has been getting on at Chelsea? Personally, I thought that was an over promotion for him based on his performances for us but would be interested to know if he's actually standing out in their academy or not.
  • Options
    SELR_addicks said:
    WHAT DO OUR SCOUTS DO FOR A LIVING??????

Burstow pops up from the black box now ffs. 
    So fed up of us going back for the same old players who have already played for us. So predictable and uninspiring.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Can't say I see a need to consider resigning him now we have Bonne, but anyone know how young Mason has been getting on at Chelsea? Personally, I thought that was an over promotion for him based on his performances for us but would be interested to know if he's actually standing out in their academy or not.
    Four goals and four assists in PL2. One goal in four Pizza Trophy games. 

That's not a bad return in the U-21s. Based purely on those numbers alone, you can understand why Chelsea feel he might be ready for another loan.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/mason-burstow/profil/spieler/874080

That being said, I don't know that he is what we need. I don't know that he'd get much gametime here. Even if we move Stockley on this window, I'm not convinced that Burstow can play up front on his own. I feel like he played as a wide attacker for our U-23s, so maybe looking to use him wide left cutting in and running in behind would be a potential use? It's not one that makes a lot of sense apart from "we need bodies" and "we know him."

• Options

Giving quiiiiiite a lot of credence to some rando Chelsea podcast there. Do we know if this is actually true?
    Naaa... Throw the strop first 
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Lazy journalism. Easy to just link us to all our old waif & strays. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Lazy journalism. Easy to just link us to all our old waif & strays. 
    Especially when it’s about 50/50 chance it’ll come true or not. :-)
  • Options

Giving quiiiiiite a lot of credence to some rando Chelsea podcast there. Do we know if this is actually true?
    Unless Leaburn or JRS are going, I cannot see us signing Burstow. Chelsea will want him to be playing games and unless we are about to change system or he is willing to play wide, I don't see how he gets in, unless he has improved enormously.