Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Burstow may have improved, he had potential, but based on last season, I hope not. He was far too easy to defend against. It actually looked to me like he was marking the defenders at times. Leaburn battles with them which makes a massive difference. 

I think we pulled Chelsea's pant down with that one. My biggest disapointent, and I said it at the time, was that we loaned him back and didn't try to get an oven ready striker back.
  • Options
    Think Burstow should go to Oxford. Would much rather have Jack Marriott. 
  • Options
    I’ll be pleased and surprised if there are any more incomings this month, I think the 2 we got were hangovers they couldn’t get over the line in the last window, I think they’ll be a few more outgoing, providing they’ll stump up the wages.
    We still don't have 2 uninjured full backs
  • Options
    Burstow may have improved, he had potential, but based on last season, I hope not. He was far too easy to defend against. It actually looked to me like he was marking the defenders at times. Leaburn battles with them which makes a massive difference. 

I think we pulled Chelsea's pant down with that one. My biggest disapointent, and I said it at the time, was that we loaned him back and didn't try to get an oven ready striker back.
    If there is any substance to this it can only men Leaburn leaving.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Sadly I think you are right.
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/more-detail-on-fulham-loanees-late-withdrawal-from-charltons-2-0-win-over-barnsley/

So Sess, our only LB, still has an ongoing knee problem...

We really need another option for that position.
    Thought it was silly starting him, what with the Man Utd game only a few days prior

Wonder if the Kane injury then happened, because he didnt do a full warm up prior, as he didnt expect to start.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    Southbank said:
    MuttleyCAFC said:

What about Stockley perhaps he's 
    leaving.
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/more-detail-on-fulham-loanees-late-withdrawal-from-charltons-2-0-win-over-barnsley/

Thought it was silly starting him, what with the Man Utd game only a few days prior

Wonder if the Kane injury then happened, because he didnt do a full warm up prior, as he didnt expect to start.
    Kane was due to start at RB, Clare replaced Sess in the starting 11 with Kane then moving across to LB
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Hal1x said:
    Southbank said:
    MuttleyCAFC said:

What about Stockley perhaps he's 
    leaving.
    Very much doubt Chelsea would loan him out unless they expected him to play, not sit on the bench.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Kane was starting Saturday. It was Clare who was dropped. 
    Chrispy51 said:

Kane was due to start at RB, Clare replaced Sess in the starting 11 with Kane then moving across to LB
    Oh for FECK SAKE!! - I'm losing the bloody plot with Saturdays line up and what it should have been
    So am I, as I liked your comment. 

The like has now been removed  ;)
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I know of a left back we have been monitoring - a proper left back.

I've always said a decent Left Back is so hard to find.  Firstly there are relatively few left footed players and secondly it's hard to find a player who loves to defend as a priority.  Finding a good one is really difficult.  Powell, Minto, Wiggins to name a few but they were proper left-backs.  Throw in the fact nowadays they need to be able to attack as well and it's become a difficult role to fill.
    That's why I loved Wiggins.  He was quick, had a trick or two up his sleeve and he seemed to refuse to let a cross into the box.  Such a shame he got so many niggles

We have been looking for a left back since summer but don't appear to have found the right one just yet - but the club have been looking.  It doesn't help that you look for a player to fulfil a role and then the club changes manager and therefore what they are looking for.  I hope we get one over the lin e soon though as I firmly believe we are still in the playoff race if we can put a bit more of a run together
    Yeah, but who? 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I've always said a decent Left Back is so hard to find.  Firstly there are relatively few left footed players and secondly it's hard to find a player who loves to defend as a priority.  Finding a good one is really difficult.  Powell, Minto, Wiggins to name a few but they were proper left-backs.  Throw in the fact nowadays they need to be able to attack as well and it's become a difficult role to fill.
    That's why I loved Wiggins.  He was quick, had a trick or two up his sleeve and he seemed to refuse to let a cross into the box.  Such a shame he got so many niggles

We have been looking for a left back since summer but don't appear to have found the right one just yet - but the club have been looking.  It doesn't help that you look for a player to fulfil a role and then the club changes manager and therefore what they are looking for.  I hope we get one over the lin e soon though as I firmly believe we are still in the playoff race if we can put a bit more of a run together
    We used to have a production line of left backs, but it seems to have completely dried up in recent years.

Minto, Stugess, Stuart, Konchesky, Fox, Holmes-Dennis
    We started to mass-produce goalkeepers instead :-)

• Options
    Swisdom said:

We used to have a production line of left backs, but it seems to have completely dried up in recent years.

Also Barness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Swisdom said:

Yeah, but who? 
    Morgan Fox, Holmes-Dennis, Ben Purrington and Pape Souaré
  • Options
    Southbank said:

That’s the spirit
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Swisdom said:

Also Barness.
    Remember Archie Edwards (couple of years younger than Tarieq), was linked with a move to Man Utd early in his development - Bet he wishes he'd taken the opportunity seeing he never made it now
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    iaitch said:
    Swisdom said:

Also Barness.
    Remember Archie Edwards (couple of years younger than Tarieq), was linked with a move to Man Utd early in his development - Bet he wishes he'd taken the opportunity seeing he never made it now
    Was in my league last season playing for Harold Hill FC
    One of the most gobbiest players I have ever played against in 15 years. 
    Was on the bench in a title decider with us - which they won 2-0 but didn't stop us/me from firing off comments about how far he's fallen playing 30-year-old washed-up players like me on a Tuesday night.
    More to the point did not stand out one bit... lightning fast but that was it.
  • Options
    5 million up front
  • Options
    Being taking over and then selling one of our better players straight away is a very Charlton esque takeover