Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster-Caskey - another ACL injury (p6)

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I have never commented on JFC and I am not suggesting that he is better than Kevin De Bruyne or that it's an outrage he's been let go. But my opinion is that we are better off with him in our club. 
    I agree - there’s nothing to suggest we will get any better .  I still wonder who will play in midfield if Dobson is missing .  
    New free transfer in january.
  • Options
    Seems a very very long time ago that he used to run rings around me at junior football. Good luck Jake!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Good luck JFC, really enjoyed watching you in a Charlton shirt over the last six years. Shame it ended the way it has.
  • Options
    OS says he was part of the 2018/19 promotion winning squad. How many games did he play that season as I don't recall many. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    He was a top league 1 player when we got him. 

His first knee injury wasn't so bad, the second injury though has clearly really affected him. He doesn't look quick, sharp or fit anymore. That loss of pace isn't the end of the world, but the sharpness and match fitness requires games - something we cannot afford to give him as he'd be being carried and the work rate isn't there to allow it.

Also Dobson and Fraser are both better players and he's competing now with Albie Morgan... Which shows his fall from grace.  

“Top league one player” Really?
    Let's not re-write history, he joined us in January in League one from a Championship side into a side pushing for promotion out of League one. 

He played 15, scored and assisted a handful each. In the next season he played most games as we missed out on promotion flopping against Shrewsbury in the play offs. 

He missed all of our promotion season and most of the following season, being replaced by one of the two best players we've seen in Charlton shirts in recent years. Josh Cullen btw.

He was alright, if not outstanding in the 20/21 season. His injury held him back in 21/22 again and in 22/23 he's not looked the same. 

Fact is all of the seasons where he's played a part we and he was near the top of the league (A top league one player when we got him), we just had better for our best season. 

• Options
    Seems a very very long time ago that he used to run rings around me at junior football. Good luck Jake!

• Options
    edited January 2023
    OS says he was part of the 2018/19 promotion winning squad. How many games did he play that season as I don't recall many. 
    Appeared on the bench five times in April/May, missed over 90% of the season due to the first occurence of that knee injury.

He played 10-15 minutes as a sub in a 4-0 win over Scunthorpe, replacing Aribo on 79 minutes. Otherwise he didn't get off the bench for Gillingham (A), Doncaster (both legs) and the final at Wembley.

Charlton 4-0 Scunthorpe, 22/4/19:
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47930426
  • Options
    Appeared on the bench five times in April/May, missed over 90% of the season due to the first occurence of that knee injury.
    So not really part of the promotion season then. 

I wish him well but he is dropping down the league structure once again. Granted Stevenage look like they should get promoted but nothing is certain in football. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

His first knee injury wasn't so bad, the second injury though has clearly really affected him. He doesn't look quick, sharp or fit anymore. That loss of pace isn't the end of the world, but the sharpness and match fitness requires games - something we cannot afford to give him as he'd be being carried and the work rate isn't there to allow it.

Also Dobson and Fraser are both better players and he's competing now with Albie Morgan... Which shows his fall from grace.  

Let's not re-write history, he joined us in January in League one from a Championship side into a side pushing for promotion out of League one. 

He played 15, scored and assisted a handful each. In the next season he played most games as we missed out on promotion flopping against Shrewsbury in the play offs. 

He missed all of our promotion season and most of the following season, being replaced by one of the two best players we've seen in Charlton shirts in recent years. Josh Cullen btw.

He was alright, if not outstanding in the 20/21 season. His injury held him back in 21/22 again and in 22/23 he's not looked the same. 

Fact is all of the seasons where he's played a part we and he was near the top of the league (A top league one player when we got him), we just had better for our best season. 
    Shame that he wasn’t fit for more of 2018-19. A Lee Bowyer diamond midfield of Bielik holding, Cullen and JFC either side and Aribo as a 10 would have made our midfield even more unbelievable 
    Removing Morgan/Williams/Reeves/Lapslie for a prime JFC would definitely have improved us, but Williams and Morgan both did well enough.
  • Options
    classy farewell from Jake there and I wish him all the best for the rest of his career.
  • Options
    Good luck to him, I'm sure Stevenage are heading to league 1 so he isn't really dropping lower, just a temporary thing. 
  • Options
    Nice penalty v Brighton 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Shame that he wasn’t fit for more of 2018-19. A Lee Bowyer diamond midfield of Bielik holding, Cullen and JFC either side and Aribo as a 10 would have made our midfield even more unbelievable 
    Didn’t we sign Cullen because JFC was injured for the season?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Removing Morgan/Williams/Reeves/Lapslie for a prime JFC would definitely have improved us, but Williams and Morgan both did well enough.
    Morgan himself only broke in at the end of the season and obviously Williams only joined in the Jan. Pratley was decent enough but i think we’d have got automatics with JFC. We had a spell with Bielik and Cullen injured where he would have been very useful. 
    We had enough cover in midfield, indeed might not have bought Cullen in if JFC hadn't been injured.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Morgan himself only broke in at the end of the season and obviously Williams only joined in the Jan. Pratley was decent enough but i think we’d have got automatics with JFC. We had a spell with Bielik and Cullen injured where he would have been very useful. 
    We had enough cover in midfield, indeed might not have bought Cullen in if JFC hadn't been injured.
    I don’t agree we had enough cover but take your point on Cullen. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Lapslie, Marshall and Reeves played 40+ league games between them that season...
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Lapslie, Marshall and Reeves played 40+ league games between them that season...
    Exactly. If JFC had been around instead of Lapslie (but we still signed Cullen) then we could easily have got another 4 points. All ifs and buts anyway of course. 
  • Options
    Good luck Jake, best wishes and thanks for your goodbye message to the fans. 
  • Options
    I predict that next January window we'll be discussing if we can bring him back.......... 
  • Options
    Good luck JFC, really enjoyed watching you in a Charlton shirt over the last six years. Shame it ended the way it has.
    You’re right, he was great that Tuesday!
  • Options
    So he ended up breaking ACL through both knees. Freakish injuries and not at all easy to get back to where you were. 

I did busted one ACL skiing and it has taken me (admittedly I am lazy and not a professional athlete) 5 years to get that back to where it was. 

A class footballer even for a championship team. He needed some support and we gave him a job but not the support he needed imo. A sad loss and I hope he gets fully fit, with a run of games. Having lost some years it would be a surprise if he reached his pre-injuries potential. Younger men come up to replace.

I wish him all the best and am sorry to see him leave. 
  • Options
    Good luck JFC.. Moving on with good wishes - unfortunately not quite the same player following injuries, needs a good run of games to get close. 

Should have really been let go in the summer.. Generally the club did right by him following 2 years out injured. Seems like a good egg, and never sulked around the place.

All the best JFC! 
  • Options
    I predict that next January window we'll be discussing if we can bring him back.......... 
    will he drop down to a struggling League Two side 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Sad to see him go. Can't help feeling he could still do a good job for us - better than many we still have.