Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | New Years Day - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic
New Years Day - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tom Reeves

Introduction
Well as they seemingly say, with the New Year hours away (even being celebrated by some Lifers), there is a chance for new beginnings, and a good opportunity to start over - For Charlton, the latest takeover rumours appear to be rumbling on, but for now it appears as though we must strap ourselves in and brace against the bumpy ride that is still to come - This Sunday will see the Addicks travelling to the South Coast, with Portsmouth the hosts for our first clash of 2023.

The Opposition
Name: Portsmouth (10th) | Manager: Danny Cowley
Ground: Fratton Park
Previous League Result: Portsmouth 0-2 Milton Keynes

In some regard; League One is becoming just as hard to compete as the Championship - More and more sides appear to be dropping down to the third tier, and with ambitious / well ran sides moving upwards from League Two, the job of winning promotion back to the second tier is becoming harder and harder - Our opponents tomorrow will be well aware of this, its been over a decade since Pompey's demise from the Championship, and their fans continue to wait to return.

With Danny Cowley entering his second full season on the South Coast, the focus of the summer transfer window was spent on strengthening the attack... Four attacking players were signed on loan, whilst one: Colbey Bishop joined on a permanent deal, moving from Accrington Stanley - Even with all that firepower, its surprising that Portsmouth have (as a whole) scored five less goals than their visitors for this upcoming clash. An over-reliance on Colbey Bishop (with 14-goals, compared to Ronan Curtis with four), is clear proof that if you mark the prolific striker out of the game, Portsmouth potentially become toothless in attack.

Thats perhaps a clear sign of recent results; Portsmouth have won just a single game since October, whilst they've only lost four games (including a 3-0 loss at the Valley), have only managed to score more than a single goal in a game the once, albeit their last match hosting Ipswich.

Their bogey team may well be struggling themselves... But even this may be a wasted opportunity for Pompey to record three points against Charlton, something they'll be looking to do at Fratton Park for the first time since 2005, six encounters ago.

Charlton Team News
At the moment it feels as though there are pictures of Charlton players on a dart board, with random selections being made wherever the dart lands - That theory will without doubt be confirmed at 2pm tomorrow, if "skirting board" ends up amongst the starting eleven.

The Addicks showed typical weakness down the left against Oxford on Thursday evening; Richard Chin (thrown into the First Team, and out of position to boot, far too early) is a deer caught in the headlights when playing Left-Back. However with Steven Sessegnon potentially injured again, we may have no choice until further reinforcements can be signed in Transfer Window which is set to creek open - Miles Leaburn will hopefully lead our attack, one of our few shining lights in the darkest of seasons, and currently scoring every 97-minutes.

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Inniss - Lavelle - Ness - Thomas
Dobson - Fraser
Payne
Leaburn - Kanu

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Chin - Henry - Rak-Sakyi - Blackett-Taylor - Stockley - Campbell

Comments

• Options
    Fed up with the lot of them, another defeat beckons against a team clearly as out of form as we are. The Oxford first half was pathetic and this team really is so poor. Portsmouth to finally win at Fratton Park, 3-0.
  • Options
    Got to start strongest team
  • Options
    Appears we have ourselves another "manager" who has one formation and will shoehorn a load of utterly shit players into it.

Can't see where the next win is coming from.

0-2 defeat without a shot on target.
  • Options
    Our best attacking players are the wingers, so hopefully Holden realises we need them to win games. 

Or he'll play a 3-5-2 and we'll lose again. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    What with injuries and sickness and, I think Amanda felt that Portsmouth will be a better chance of getting a win as their form is as bad as ours.  So I think that's partly why he played a Carabao cup side and he'll go with a stronger side tomorrow... Portsmouth 1-2 Charlton...
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    We must play CBT and probably JRS too. 

AMB

Clare , Innis/ Lavelle, Ness

CBT, Morgan, Dobson, Fraser, JFC

JRS, Leaburn. 

• Options
    The sort of game where based on current form I'd predict a scrappy game and  narrow defeat, except for our hoodoo over Pompey at Fratton Park. So nil nil instead.

I won't be watching, as off to Princes Park to see if Dartford can beat Ebbsfleet twice over the holiday period.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another defeat and moreover another inept performance in store. Not too concerned about who starts and have never felt like that in over 50 years of supporting this club. Happy New Year all. 
  • Options
    Pompey are dire at the moment but I think they will beat us one nil.
  • Options
    Pompey are dire at the moment but I think they will beat us one nil.
    They gave top of the table Ipswich a scare in the week, finished 2-2
  • Options

We normally do well at FP but with the squad we have at the minute I cannot see past a defeat 
  • Options
    Easy, Fratton park has always been a good hunting ground for us, we stuffed them 3-0 at home earlier in the season so a repeat should be on the cards, just have to make sure we get one of them sent off nice and early...simple...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    1-1

We'll score, we'll concede.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    We must play CBT and probably JRS too. 

AMB

Clare , Innis/ Lavelle, Ness

CBT, Morgan, Dobson, Fraser, JFC

JRS, Leaburn. 

Yh thats about as experienced as we can go at the moment sadly and still looks awful 
  • Options
    2 or 3 nil to them all get real we are shit
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    Picard-facepalm GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
  • Options
    Yep it's getting worse my lovelies x
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    1-1

M.Brewer
    Chin - Elerewe - Ness - Oguntayo
    Dobson
    R.Sakyi - Morgan - Fraser - B.Taylor
    Leaburn

Subs
    MacGillivray, Clare, Lavelle, Mitchell, Henry, Campbell, Stockley
  • Options
    No idea who is available from that lot btw...
  • Options
    Brewer
    Clair Innis Lavelle Ness
    Sakyi Dobson Fraser CBT
    Leaburn Stockley.

Play a simple 4-4-2 so the poor dears don’t have to think too much and as many players in their correct positions as you can.
    Cross fingers and hope.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Redrobo said:
    Brewer
    Clair Innis Lavelle Ness
    Sakyi Dobson Fraser CBT
    Leaburn Stockley.

Play a simple 4-4-2 so the poor dears don’t have to think too much and as many players in their correct positions as you can.
    Cross fingers and hope.
    I can see the merits of that team but worried about the left back position. Like Oxford, they will surely target it. Would seem a viable option to put JFC there. He has played full back before with some success. Probably won't work but has the most chance of working. I'd probably have Payne in instead of Rak Sakyi too with Rak Sakyi being a good option from the bench against tiring defenders which we will need. We can't afford Rak Sakyi and CBT not contributing in a starting formation either. At least Payne will work and help the midfield.
  • Options
    As Brownie said, pick a team to not concede So:

Maynard Brewer

Ness Innis Lavelle Thomas
    Claire, Elewere Mitchell 
           Dobson Morgan
               Stockley
  • Options
    Doesn’t matter who plays. Convincing win for Pompey. 

This group of players are terrible!
  • Options
    I think the problem is it is difficult to pick a team not to concede. If you look at the defenders, they all have mistakes in them. It is always more difficult away too as our results show.
  • Options
    We actually have two forwards available and one of them actually knows how to score, the problem now is absolutely no full backs available, haven't got a clue as to the result but if I were Pompey I'd attack down the flanks 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    We always win at Fratton Park......
    Keep the faith 😉
    COYR
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    1-1

M.Brewer
    Chin - Elerewe - Ness - Oguntayo
    Dobson
    R.Sakyi - Morgan - Fraser - B.Taylor
    Leaburn

Subs
    MacGillivray, Clare, Lavelle, Mitchell, Henry, Campbell, Stockley
    If the aim is the get smashed 8-0, that’s the way to go.