Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | New Years Day - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    1-1

We'll score, we'll concede.
      M.Brewer
    Chin - Elerewe - Ness - Oguntayo
    Dobson
    R.Sakyi - Morgan - Fraser - B.Taylor
    Leaburn

Subs
    MacGillivray, Clare, Lavelle, Mitchell, Henry, Campbell, Stockley
    If the aim is the get smashed 8-0, that’s the way to go.
     The point would be to send the message these youth players aren't ready. 

Even Holden said in his presser post Oxford, these kids are the path forward. 

Which is terrifying.
  • Options
    Portsmouth have moved more to a 3-4-2-1 formation of late after being a flat 4-4-2 for a while.

After the disaster against Oxford and being exposed on the outside of the 3 and between the wing-backs, I can see a change of formation and a change of tactic. We sit in a lower block and hope that we can hit them on the counter attack.

We need men in midfield and at the back and we need to get back to basics. Very quickly.

They're going to come out and at us early so we need to stand up to it and try to frustrate them as much as possible.

Holden seems to like Ness so I can see him starting. The rest, just have to hope don’t drink much tonight and get into the game quickly.

Maynard-Brewer
    Clare | Inniss | Ness | Sessegnon
    Henry | Dobson | Fraser
    Rak-Sakyi | Leaburn | Blackett-Taylor

Harness, Thomas, Lavelle, Campbell, Payne, Stockley, Kanu
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    It used to be that a team on a run such as ours would sit back and defend. A Curbs style back to basics and build from there. Brownie was preaching the same the other night. These days we seem to be trying to play our way out of trouble when we don't have the players or the confidence. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    1-1

We'll score, we'll concede.
      M.Brewer
    Chin - Elerewe - Ness - Oguntayo
    Dobson
    R.Sakyi - Morgan - Fraser - B.Taylor
    Leaburn

Subs
    MacGillivray, Clare, Lavelle, Mitchell, Henry, Campbell, Stockley
    If the aim is the get smashed 8-0, that’s the way to go.
    Agree, Sage,

I'm not knocking the young 'uns but surely introducing another into the starting line up is ludicrous when there are others on the bench more suited & experienced to slot in. 

Even Zach Mitchell has more games under his belt & has not let us down - I can't understand why he hasn't featured in the last few games. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Brewer
    Clair Innis Lavelle Ness
    Sakyi Dobson Fraser CBT
    Leaburn Stockley.

Play a simple 4-4-2 so the poor dears don’t have to think too much and as many players in their correct positions as you can.
    Cross fingers and hope.
    I can see the merits of that team but worried about the left back position. Like Oxford, they will surely target it. Would seem a viable option to put JFC there. He has played full back before with some success. Probably won't work but has the most chance of working. I'd probably have Payne in instead of Rak Sakyi too with Rak Sakyi being a good option from the bench against tiring defenders which we will need. We can't afford Rak Sakyi and CBT not contributing in a starting formation either. At least Payne will work and help the midfield.
    JFC has never played left back. He has played left wingback once or twice in a 5-3-2
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Portsmouth have moved more to a 3-4-2-1 formation of late after being a flat 4-4-2 for a while.

After the disaster against Oxford and being exposed on the outside of the 3 and between the wing-backs, I can see a change of formation and a change of tactic. We sit in a lower block and hope that we can hit them on the counter attack.

We need men in midfield and at the back and we need to get back to basics. Very quickly.

They're going to come out and at us early so we need to stand up to it and try to frustrate them as much as possible.

Holden seems to like Ness so I can see him starting. The rest, just have to hope don’t drink much tonight and get into the game quickly.

Maynard-Brewer
    Henry | Dobson | Fraser

Sess is injured, we have no left back to play 442, has to be 532
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Sage said:

Maynard-Brewer
    Henry | Dobson | Fraser

Sess is injured. We have no left back to play 442, has to be 532 with wingbacks
    Brewer
    Ness Inniss Mitchell
    Clare Fraser Dobson Payne KFC
    Stockley Leaburn

JRS and CBT to come on if we need to score
  • Options
    1-1 and I would take anything right now. We need to stop a long run of defeats from unfolding. A point and hope to build… COYRs - let the 1300+ sing and suck that ball into the net tomorrow!
  • Options
    Got to go with the 2 big boys up front for any chance and go for it because where far to small and light weight 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Expecting a back 3, maybe a little bit exciting with the "rested" players coming in.

AMB
                 Inniss Lavelle Ness
             Clare Dobson Fraser CBT
                              Payne
                       Leaburn JRS

1-1 
  • Options
    2-1 to the Addicks and we’re thinking how the fuck did that happen!  
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Redrobo said:
    Brewer
    Clair Innis Lavelle Ness
    Sakyi Dobson Fraser CBT
    Leaburn Stockley.

Play a simple 4-4-2 so the poor dears don’t have to think too much and as many players in their correct positions as you can.
    Cross fingers and hope.
    I can see the merits of that team but worried about the left back position. Like Oxford, they will surely target it. Would seem a viable option to put JFC there. He has played full back before with some success. Probably won't work but has the most chance of working. I'd probably have Payne in instead of Rak Sakyi too with Rak Sakyi being a good option from the bench against tiring defenders which we will need. We can't afford Rak Sakyi and CBT not contributing in a starting formation either. At least Payne will work and help the midfield.
    JFC has never played left back. He has played left wingback once or twice in a 5-3-2
    JFC as a left back/wing back option is a bit of a myth. 

Played there once against Fulham. Did ok, I definitely remember him passing a ball straight out of play under little pressure and looking uncomfortable throughout. People act as if it transformed him into the second coming of Roberto Carlos because we got an ok result (2-2)

Another serious knee injury since then, I don’t particularly think he should be going toe to toe with fast/tricky wingers, or be expected to provide all of our width down the left side.

It’s like when you play at school and put the left footer at left back just because.

Sessegnon is a class act at this level and does a decent enough job, but to go into this season without a genuine left footed option for full back was an insane footballing decision. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Don’t want to see Clare anywhere near the squad and would like Stockley’s arse glued to the bench for as long as humanely possible.
  • Options
    We could play the U16's and we'll still win. We are to Pompey what Millwall are to us.

0-2......but only if we play in Red.
  • Options
    Quite incredibly Portsmouth’s last league win came on 22nd October which was when we had our last league win. They may not be relegation candidates like us but they aren’t flying right now, but we are shipping goals for fun so I can’t see us keeping a clean sheet.

My prediction: Ryan Inniss gets himself sent off, Michael Morrison scores a header in the 93rd minute to win the game but doesn’t celebrate.
  • Options
    At the moment a draw would be good. Need to get our shape right from the off. 

As far as personnel or formation, it's any bodies guess. 

Let's see who we can bring in this week and go from there. Meantime it's just important not lose again. 
  • Options
    I know it's been said a thousand times but how in God's name can you have a professional football club with no left back, half way into the season?

Even under 11s turn out with a left back.

Absolute shameless shambles of a football club run by ego driven morons with more of them on the way.

We had a club legend as manager criticised for persisting with 3.5.2 with inappropriate players but as a club have progressed to a complete nonentity as a manager persisting with 3.5.2  with even worse players.

Bring back Ronnie Schwartz. We can part exchange him for the the new three wise men and offer Gerry Adams as a bonus. 

Happy new year ? I very much.doubt it. 

3.0 defeat. 
  • Options
    A win and the start of a new era. A defeat, and roll on 2024.
  • Options
    Let's start the year with a good win going for a 2-1 win for the mighty CAFC Come On you Reds  B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the recent Pompey story is a lesson to those who assume that a megarich owner can (or will) just buy success .. Their owner, Michael Eisner, ran the huge Disney company for years, he's £oaded, and while Pompey are not as MIckey Mouse as us at present, they are surely under achieving

We need to revert to a 4 4 2, no fancy stuff, just go there and get stuck into a side which is in as poor a run of form as us. They don't score a lot and don't concede that many. Attack them down the wings and defend for our lives, I am not sure Holden has it in him to motivate our injury prone and ill disciplined bunch, but this type of game will find out if he can. We need the points (stating the obvious) and we'll get one today

Portsmouth 1 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Redrobo said:
    Brewer
    Clair Innis Lavelle Ness
    Sakyi Dobson Fraser CBT
    Leaburn Stockley.

Cross fingers and hope.
    And he did ok there. In the absence of a left sided full back it is surely worth a look or do we play Chin or Ness there? 
  • Options
    Think we'll sneak a 1-2 win
  • Options
    It will be a thoroughly demoralising start to the year.
  • Options
    Park the bus and make it a big one!

We need an ugly point and survive until new mercenaries, sorry players arrive. 
  • Options
    Suggestions that Aneke may be in the squad. We’ll see.
  • Options
    the recent Pompey story is a lesson to those who assume that a megarich owner can (or will) just buy success .. Their owner, Michael Eisner, ran the huge Disney company for years, he's £oaded, and while Pompey are not as MIckey Mouse as us at present, they are surely under achieving

We need to revert to a 4 4 2, no fancy stuff, just go there and get stuck into a side which is in as poor a run of form as us. They don't score a lot and don't concede that many. Attack them down the wings and defend for our lives, I am not sure Holden has it in him to motivate our injury prone and ill disciplined bunch, but this type of game will find out if he can. We need the points (stating the obvious) and we'll get one today

Portsmouth 1 v CAFC 1
    The Cowleys are under pressure. A defeat today and they could be gone 
  • Options
    We always win at Fratton Park. 

1-0 Pompey
  • Options
    One Christmas period many years ago we drove down to Portsmouth to watch Charlton. Thought the sea air would do us good .
    Tony Lange in goal for us ,Neil Webb, Tony Hateley ,Alan Bailey playing for Portsmouth.

Aizlewood playing against Aizlewood.

We lost 4-0 that Boxing Day but bet that team played better that day then the team Holden puts out this afternoon.

Holden and Out. 
  • Options
    They are shit but we can outshit anyone atm 
    3-1 and the big R gets closer and closer for this history making crock of shit representing Charlton Athletic Football Club