Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | New Years Day - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Wondering if there is an offer in for Kirk as reason not being picked. JFC off to Wimbledon as well I presume.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I don’t think Cowley  is very popular at Portsmouth but in fairness he never looks for excuses in his post match interviews . Always gives an honest assessment.
    He's had a lot of practice. 
    True. Opening answer. Not good enough today , scratch of head , repeat. 
  • Options
    Much better against a side that lacked confidence and reminded me of us lately. If we can find a way to be more clinical and have cover for our back positions we can certainly go on a run. 
  • Options
    Played well, everyone doing what was required. Thought CBT might have taken a tackle form the keeper.
    Not sure who was the poorest, Pompey or their floodlights.
  • Options
    Couple of post match thoughts.

These are professional players who should be able to play every game. We know the best team and it wasn’t what rolled out against Oxford. Let’s stick to that front three and midfield 3. We aren’t going up this year but our best line up should get enough points to steer clear of the wrong end of the table.
    I get your point, and I agree to a certain extent. However there’s a lot of games in a league one season and we’ve seen consistently players like CBT and Sessegnon unable to play when there is a heavy workload  - and not because of rotation, because they pick up niggles.

Fraser is someone who tends to fade in the latter stages of games (since he had Covid), so again it’s a risk to play Saturday, Tuesdays - because the moment he comes up against someone with more legs then it could cause us an issue. 

I think our main issue is, which just don’t have the required quality in depth so when we do need to rotate (like all teams do) we just end up being woefully short. 
  • Options
    Interesting Stockley seemed to be in a slight delay mode to celebrate the OG (Dobbo's strike) with him and the fans.
  • Options
    December window time hey?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done Charlton, great performance and the players/manager deserve credit for that. 
  • Options
    Keeping miles leaburn on the pitch is the most important thing we can do (apart from dobbo but that's a given coz the man is a machine) Leaburn is the only player at the club who can play the lone striker role. We need to make an understudy or player of similar attributes, the priority in the window. Get the forward line right and everything else suddenly starts functioning a lot better   
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Much needed win to stop the rot. A good January transfer window and the play offs could still be on  B)
  • Options
    Great result.
    Quite astonishing that we have won in 10 of our last 11 visits to Fratton Park.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Great result.
    Quite astonishing that we have won in 10 of our last 11 visits to Fratton Park.
    ‘ You’ll never beat the Charlton, you’ll never beat the Charlton’! 😉
  • Options
    I just don't know what to think.

Lovely win like this and I'm all in on Charlton bets, top half, play offs, promotion. Then we get beaten at home to someone like MK Dons - boring and I'm trying to think positive that playing in the fourth division will see us win more games then remember that this old chestnut never holds true.

Aaaarrrgg!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Does this win mean we aren't getting relegated to the Conference, leaving The Valley and going bust then?
    Champions League in three years. Do keep up :-)
  • Options
    Dobbo's 5th yellow card in L1
    Doesn't matter. He's now passed the required number of games where it counts. The next barrier is 10 yellows before week 32.
  • Options
    Hats off to holden. That was a much needed performance and it was refreshing to see him not religiously stick to a set up that clearly does not work for us.  Let's hope he can maintain this as there's some tough games coming up.
  • Options
    I understand the reasoning for the changes in mid week but hoping now we can keep a settled side with no more Chin, Henry or funky rotations/systems.

If we can bring in a proper left back then Sess can go to his rightful RB slot....until Egbo is fit & then they can fight it out. 

I'm in 2 minds over JRS. I would prefer to keep him but he has been out if form recently & his miss against Peterborough cost us a win. But he scored today & is joint top scorer so knows where the goal is.

Today showed why CBT should start. Chuks injuries I feel is now mental rather than physical. I reckon he convinced himself something was going to go during warm up & now it's all in his head. 

We need at least 2 new strikers this month. Happy with Innis & Ness at the back & the midfield is not too bad either. A bit of strengthening would help but I feel we do have the basics of a side that have enough to stay up. 
    Sess could be the missing link in midfield, so two full backs for me Golfie