Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | New Years Day - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    We have won 10 of our last 11 games at Fratton and have lost only 5 of our last 24 fixtures against Pompey, with an amazing 16 wins - BUT we are still behind on our all time h2h against them!!! 

• Options
    edited January 2023
    When you look at Pompey it is a bit like looking in a mirror in terms of what confidence does to a side. Our first, Brownie was right, no way JRS should have been allowed to get the ball on his left. The second was schoolboy with a pass from wide into the middle with nobody free.  I recall trying to coach this sort of pass out of the young team I managed. It invariably kills you when you lose the ball. You shouldn't see that from a pro.

Anyway, the point is, it shows what a lack of confidence can do. Also, we were more solid in positions other teams have targetted. A big factor was Sess playing. We have to cover this off quickly in the window. Leaburn and Ness have made the leap, the other youngsters have yet to and so you can't rely on them yet, putting too much pressure on them. They need careful introductions from the bench.

What was also noticeable was that we won more second ball than we usually do. I don't recall the last time we won more than the opposition, but I think it was the case yesterday. I haven't seen stats, it just felt that way.
  • Options
    Charlton played well both halves !

When we didn't get to HT without making a mandatory error in added time you feared the worse. 1-1 when we should've had a two goal lead at the break.

Under Garner, Inniss over played on the ball,
    Holden has said, when in doubt put it out; which Ryan did on several occasions. 
    Agree when Sessegnon plays we look so much better, especially when he has CBT to feed or overlap. Despite Stephen not being a natural LB he has the ability in the mediocre Third tier to do a decent job.

Miles Leaburn is a mobile Number 9 which if we can feed well will be productive and some decent link up play with the likes of Rak Sakyi and Kanu as the season improves!

We have managed to go 5 months without beating a team in the bottom half of the table ! 
    Winning at Portsmouth can't be in isolation if we are to rise up the table. 
    One swallow...

• Options
    A thought on Miles. He is improving every game and looks to have a bright future. There are still elements he has to improve on though. If he wants to be the player he can be, he scores that chance he hit at the keeper. It is just about sharpness in the situation.
  • Options
    3-5-2 should permanently be ditched in my opinion.

That formation should never be allowed in league one.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    Nice to see a smile on Holden’s face. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    After a bit of doubt, I've decided I do quite like how Holden looks like he's setting us up. He plays a high-pressing game which can modify to counter-attack under pressure. It isn't the all-high all-the-time Garner wanted, but it has that as the default setting. And Pompey couldn't handle that press
    That said, he'd better not unveil that bloody 3-5-2 again
    Conceptually, I agree but he won’t be able to play 433 if Leaburn isn’t around .
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    What are the words to that follow follow follow …
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    After a bit of doubt, I've decided I do quite like how Holden looks like he's setting us up. He plays a high-pressing game which can modify to counter-attack under pressure. It isn't the all-high all-the-time Garner wanted, but it has that as the default setting. And Pompey couldn't handle that press
    That said, he'd better not unveil that bloody 3-5-2 again
    Conceptually, I agree but he won’t be able to play 433 if Leaburn isn’t around .
    Age,  well decades, old problem of how do you get the 3rd center mid in the team? 

The academies don't produce Jackson/Stuart type wide midfielders because no one wants them.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave2l said:

It is not as straightforward as that. Without a left back, when Sess is out, we have tried 442 with Chin, Clare and Clayden at left back and have been very exposed. This has led to 352 as an option.
    We desperately need a proper left back to make 442 work consistently.
    Then Sess could go to right back when fit, or Egbo, and we would have a proper 4 man defence. 
  • Options
    Northern manager with some passion , chest thumping and Tourette’s all I need to know is he’s done a midweek away game following Bolton or whatever shithouse team he supports at the other end of the country then I’m in ❤️
    I didn’t know his missus was the presenter on Citv back in the day with Stephen Mulhern. Extra points for that.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    ross1 said:
    Great scenes lads, but what I want to know is why are we playing in orange shirts... 😉🤔
  • Options
    Pompey were atrocious, but to be fair so are most of the teams we've lost to. Felt bad for Lavelle being dropped but Ness had a very good game. Fraser's best game in a very long time too. Not sure it tells us much as we always win down there, but nice to take some pressure off the relegation fight!
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Dave2l said:

It is not as straightforward as that. Without a left back, when Sess is out, we have tried 442 with Chin, Clare and Clayden at left back and have been very exposed. This has led to 352 as an option.
    We desperately need a proper left back to make 442 work consistently.
    Then Sess could go to right back when fit, or Egbo, and we would have a proper 4 man defence. 
    442 will never work consistently, unless your players are significantly better than the opposition.  Or they are stupid enough to play it as well. 
  • Options
    Delighted we won. Need 3 points next Saturday and to build some momentum.
  • Options

Still supporting the team through thick and thin, what a character.