Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manchester United vs Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 10th January 2023 - 8pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    My over 65 mate can’t make it.
    His ticket in block E336, east stand tier 2 available, message me.
  • Options
    I think this is the first time I’ve ever been to a Charlton game with zero expectations or care what the result is. Sad as it is, just going to enjoy it. Long term future of our club is by no means secure and you never know when these outings may come round again. 

Just hope there’s no dramas, the rain isn’t ridiculous and it proves a positive experience for everyone. 

We all could do with a nice Charlton experience again. 

Got that feeling now when you know you’ve got to be up for an early holiday flight, your brain is going hyper and you know you can’t sleep. 
    Yes, like a kid on Xmas eve.
  • Options
    I'm not quite sure how representative this is, but my recollection of games again Man Utd is that the first halves haven't been too bad. We've held our shape and have on occasion taken the lead. Then at or around half time they change things around, bring a superstar or two off the bench and the second halves look more like one way traffic. I don't really have too much expectation tomorrow, but it we be great if we were at least still in it at half time.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I'm not quite sure how representative this is, but my recollection of games again Man Utd is that the first halves haven't been too bad. We've held our shape and have on occasion taken the lead. Then at or around half time they change things around, bring a superstar or two off the bench and the second halves look more like one way traffic. I don't really have too much expectation tomorrow, but it we be great if we were at least still in it at half time.
    Ah, but we've got CHUKS ! :smile:
  • Options
    Weather forecast for Manchester tomorrow all day is dreadful 😳
    Nearly 2 cms of rain predicted. 
  • Options
    Very happy we’re going into this after two straight wins. Not sure why, but it’s made the prospect of getting a hiding tomorrow more bearable. 
  • Options
    Absolutely loving the stories of previous encounters with United and trips to Old Trafford. Unfortunately I'm blessed with youth so have no such memories. 

It happens to be my birthday tomorrow, so couldn't miss the chance to go. Feels like a bit of a dream if I'm gonna be honest, even if that is cringy to some of the slightly older fans. 

Just a shame they also play in red. Hopefully see some of you lot tomorrow, UTA. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    all those traveling tonight, have a fantastic evening. And enjoy it! Sing your hearts and do the club proud
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    From what I can gather via a bit of digging, a few players will be rested for the Man City game over the weekend. Maguire is likely to start as is Butland and Iqbail (young midfielder's first start of the season) with Erickson playing an advanced midfield role. Van Beek is out injured and Fernandes is serving a suspension so they may have some issues in midfield. Maybe we could get at them but I do fear Rashford slicing through us like a hot knife through butter! Our pace up front is unusual for a lower league side and could surprise them.
  • Options
    Well was right about not sleeping :-( 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Going up with my brother and son. He has a delivery to make in Leeds first and we are going early, then we have rented an apartment near the ground. My optimism was 0% and has risen to about 10%. Just hope we do ourselves justice and respectfully kick them a bit :). Let them know they are in a game.
  • Options
    I'm gutted I can't make it and jelous of everyone who's going.

Good luck and enjoy it.

A cup upset would be amazing and it is possible! Don't rule it out.

Us Charlton lot like to keep our feet on the ground and be as miserable about stuff as possible.

Maybe the tide of that will turn tonight 
  • Options
    On way into work - 3 hours of praying nothing urgent turns up then I’m incommunicado anc over to Euston for 24 hours of cup jamboree time - COYR !!!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Nice post on their forum:

I remember a game against Charlton at the end of the 89/90 season. It was the week before our cup final v Palace who Charlton were ground sharing with at the time and hated. They were already relegated and their standing fans sat down on the terraces behind the goal and were singing " We're going down We're going down you're not ". It was a great atmosphere and United Road sang back " We'll be playing you next year." They also sang at us "You're going to win the Cup " as obviously we were playing their nemesis in the final.
    We won the game 2-0 and there were great scenes at the end where rival fans were swapping scarves and having a good laugh. 
    They presented the United fans with an award a few years later for having the most sympathetic fans.
    Coincidentally city were playing Palace that date and also sang " You're going to win the cup " to which the Palace fans replied " You're just a bunch of w@nkers ".
    It was a great atmosphere that day. We stayed with mates in Manchester after the game, and had quite a few drinks bought for us that night.

As for tonight?

I wish every single travelling fan a fabulous experience, I shall be watching in a pub where the landlord is a United fan, and with a number of plastics of my acquaintance. I expect nothing other than a 5-0 defeat, so anything less than that will be a bonus.   
  • Options
    If it’s still 0-0 after 20 mins And we look remotely comfortable I’ll allow myself the possibility of thinking we maybe will get a good result, potentially 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Has anyone left yet, a bit early perhaps as the pubs don't open in Manchester until Noon 
  • Options
    Went to bed at 9pm. Slept like a hibernating bear. Have risen like a phoenix this morning and cannot wait until the 8pm roar.  I am already thinking about Mark Stuart's careering run on goal and that finish! Anything is possible. C'mon you Reeeddddssssss!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just got to work for my half day before leaving at 12...sales meeting for a couple of hours along with general day to day...dont even care....just wanna get going!!
  • Options
    It must be a windup, but I’m told that on ‘Red Cafe’ Uniteds equivalent of Charlton life,  they still thought Alan Curbishley was our manager!
  • Options
    From what I can gather via a bit of digging, a few players will be rested for the Man City game over the weekend. Maguire is likely to start as is Butland and Iqbail (young midfielder's first start of the season) with Erickson playing an advanced midfield role. Van Beek is out injured and Fernandes is serving a suspension so they may have some issues in midfield. Maybe we could get at them but I do fear Rashford slicing through us like a hot knife through butter! Our pace up front is unusual for a lower league side and could surprise them.
    That sounds promising, if they only pick four players we might have a chance! 
  • Options
    Enjoy it guys!!!! 
  • Options
    Would anyone take a win tomorrow if it meant defeat on Saturday v Barnsley ???
    Personally no .. but we ever do very well
    against Barnsley anyway !!!
    All day long Come On You Reds 
  • Options
    To all those going have a great day, evening and night! Wish I could've been with you, but had to come out of retirement and go back to work (cost of living and all that). 
    There's a good article on BBC sport website about us, if you fancy a read while travelling! Sangaard has given a short interview saying "he is with Charlton for the long-term", but not in what capacity.
  • Options
    Will travel in hope, Big shout out to the United fans travelling from Bournemouth. 
    Really want to bring the Covered End to Manchester tonight! Go in HT At 0-0 and anything could happen.  COYRS!!