Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manchester United vs Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 10th January 2023 - 8pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    The delusional qualities of a coupes of wins on the bounce is amazing. When the draw was made I was dismissive and expecting a 10-0 pasting. Now with a new manager bounce, the likelihood of Manure playing their kids and the example set by Stevenage yesterday I’m beginning to wonder. Anything is possible.  I’d be amazed to be honest but travel in hope folks.  The weather forecast looks lousy. Safe travels everyone. Wish I could come too but I’m sure you’ll all make enough noise without me.  
  • Options
    I was there in 86 - our only win there since 1938 !!!

I thought Brighton would batter us, but they didn’t, so who knows…..
    They did. Had about 75% possession and 18 shots. United probably won't be as wasteful.

But stranger things have happened, i saw a game in the Europa earlier this season against the Cypriot team that Adam Matthews plays for and United had about 30 shots and only won 1-0 in injury time.
  • Options
    https://www.footballdatabase.eu/en/match/overview/1087548-manchester_united-charlton#:~:text=Man United 3-1 Charlton,1994 / FA Cup 1993/1994

Looking for our lineup back in 1994, I'd completely forgotten than John Vaughan was in goal. I assume we lined up

Vaughan

Brown   Balmer   McLeary   Minto

Grant  Pitcher  Pardew   Robson

Leaburn   Nelson

Sub Walsh

So no Salmon, Chapple or Robinson. The likes of Rufus and Newton would have been around too?
    From memory I think it was the following season we saw the return of Morts and Humph in the team along with Rufus and Bowyer breaking through. This 94 line up with a few exceptions doesn’t look that great . Wouldn’t swap Dobson and Frazer for Pitcher and Pardew in midfield.
  • Options
    All I want is a good game, the younger players learn, all players enjoy it, no complete trouncing and definitely no injuries 
  • Options
    We score from a corner that is an assist or direct header from Inniss. I'd say about 1in 100 chance, but as good as it will get.
    If he doesn't play...oh well
  • Options
    https://www.footballdatabase.eu/en/match/overview/1087548-manchester_united-charlton#:~:text=Man United 3-1 Charlton,1994 / FA Cup 1993/1994

Looking for our lineup back in 1994, I'd completely forgotten than John Vaughan was in goal. I assume we lined up

Vaughan

Leaburn   Nelson

Sub Walsh

So no Salmon, Chapple or Robinson. The likes of Rufus and Newton would have been around too?
    From memory I think it was the following season we saw the return of Morts and Humph in the team along with Rufus and Bowyer breaking through. This 94 line up with a few exceptions doesn’t look that great . Wouldn’t swap Dobson and Frazer for Pitcher and Pardew in midfield.
    That 93/94 team was a good one though, seeing that it was only the end of season collapse which cost us a place the playoffs

In the summer Minto left for Chelsea (what ever happened to him :) ) while we swapped Pitcher (RIP) for Whyte (RIP) and Mortimer, and brought in Keith Jones. 94/95 was the season described by Garry Nelson in his book.
  • Options

Vaughan

Leaburn   Nelson

Sub Walsh

That 93/94 team was a good one though, seeing that it was only the end of season collapse which cost us a place the playoffs

In the summer Minto left for Chelsea (what ever happened to him :) ) while we swapped Pitcher (RIP) for Whyte (RIP) and Mortimer, and brought in Keith Jones. 94/95 was the season described by Garry Nelson in his book.
    David White and Morts for Pitcher. What a piece of business by the reds.
  • Options
    I'd forgotten what a knob Ferguson was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Routine away win. 
  • Options
    Been saying all day we’ll scrape a 1-0 win. I’ll take that. 
  • Options
    Man Utd were the only team we didnt beat during the Curbs prem years.

Would be typical if we turned them over now!
  • Options
    Charlton, Leicester, Forest & Saints in the semi-finals is the dream. Shithouse our way through to the final on pens  :D
    Manchester United 0 Charlton Athletic 0  - Charlton win 4-3 on penalties

Charlton 0 Southampton 0
    Southampton 0 Charlton 0 - Charlton win 5-4 on penalties

Charlton 0 Leicester 0 - Charlton win 3-2 on penalties

The romance of the cup  :D
    If only we could bring Yann out of retirement to score a paneka in the final vs Leicester! 
  • Options
    Weather forecast for Manchester tomorrow all day is dreadful 😳
  • Options
    Well, I'm having a late fitness test tonight following the lurgy which descended in all its glory the day after the Oxford trip. Recently obtained anti biotics are seemingly my magic sponge. 

I've already selected my clothes for the trip- the same as I wore to the Brighton match, so should be no problem in overcoming the Red Devils. 

See you there, guys & gals ! 
  • Options
    Would anyone take a win tomorrow if it meant defeat on Saturday v Barnsley ???
    Personally no .. but we ever do very well
    against Barnsley anyway !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would take a win tomorrow if it meant losing the next 3 league games, maybe more! We will remember beating Man Utd for years to come, same can’t be said for defeats to Barnsley, Peterborough and Bolton
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Surely not? A win tomorrow night is historic for this football club.

Or has the fishing technique become more advanced?
  • Options

Chance of a waterlogged pitch? Literally solid heavy rain since the early hours.
  • Options
    Surely not? A win tomorrow night is historic for this football club.

Or has the fishing technique become more advanced?
    Don't  you think beating Barnsley to put us 6 points outside the play offs in league one would be better than a momentous win against the biggest club in the world to get us to our first major trophy semi final in 75 years in front of our biggest away support in decades?

I really don't get it.
  • Options
    Who cares? An individual's definition of joy is always going to differ.
  • Options

Chance of a waterlogged pitch? Literally solid heavy rain since the early hours.

I can see it now. The Addicks take an early lead through to the 89th minute and the ref abandons the match
  • Options
    3-1, with Leaburn netting for us, a carbon copy of our FA cup defeat. With Charlton fans singing things can only get better at half time.

oh the memories. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Except the record 6-0 away win at Oakwell 2013 since equalled at Home Park. Overall record v the Tykes W20 L18 D 15
  • Options
    Given it's the first time we've played there for a while, how about some new songs/chants for the game? Here's a couple to start us off:

We'll beat you on pens
    We'll beat you on pens
    f*ck 90 minutes
    We'll beat you on pens

We're parking the bus
    We're parking the bus
    1 keeper 10 defenders
    We're parking the bus

And if they get a bit arsey about this being our cup final:

Second best to City
    You know you're second best to City
    Second best to City