Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manchester United vs Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 10th January 2023 - 8pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    1-1 Rak Sakyi. Charlton win on pens.
    Imagine this..!!
  • Options
    My first visit as a 16 year old in 1986 I was certain we’d lose 5-0 or worse and we won 0-1 this time I’m even more certain we’ll get stuffed and my eldest is 16 making his first visit to Old Trafford it’s written in the stars … we lose 10-0 
  • Options
    https://www.footballdatabase.eu/en/match/overview/1087548-manchester_united-charlton#:~:text=Man United 3-1 Charlton,1994 / FA Cup 1993/1994

Looking for our lineup back in 1994, I'd completely forgotten than John Vaughan was in goal. I assume we lined up

Vaughan

Brown   Balmer   McLeary   Minto

Grant  Pitcher  Pardew   Robson

Leaburn   Nelson

Sub Walsh

So no Salmon, Chapple or Robinson. The likes of Rufus and Newton would have been around too?
  • Options
    I've been to Old Trafford five times supporting Charlton. 

1st time in the 70s 
    That was an interesting day I must say. 

To put it mildly !
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Comfortable 4-0 win. 
    Very good chance of that!
    Or an even more comfortable 5-0. 
    It’ll depend on whether they rest a lot of their best players for the City match. I bet their reserves are rubbish. 
  • Options
    It was a d-ream to be there in 1994 and sing: 
    "Things can only get better" with 10k others at HT with the the Great Dane red carded and the score 0-0.
    Things didn't get better in that game as United with 10 men went up a couple of gears.

Everything I know about football tells me we are going to get stuffed. Man United are the form team in the Premier and have players with pace. I will be amazed if we finish with 11 players on the pitch.
    We need positives to come out of this match and somehow use it for momentum 🤔

The positives for me is United will declare on 65 minutes at 5-0 and we batter them for the remaining 25+ minutes and Lose 5-2 !

Enjoy the day and evening on Tuesday and back our journeymen and youngsters as they will need assistance.

"Things can only get better" ?

From Wednesday onwards in the League hopefully.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I don’t see the point in shoving an extra centre back in there .
    It worked against Brighton. 
  • Options
    It was a d-ream to be there in 1994 and sing: 
    "Things can only get better" with 10k others at HT with the the Great Dane red carded and the score 0-0.
    Things didn't get better in that game as United with 10 men went up a couple of gears.

Everything I know about football tells me we are going to get stuffed. Man United are the form team in the Premier and have players with pace. I will be amazed if we finish with 11 players on the pitch.
    We need positives to come out of this match and somehow use it for momentum 🤔

The positives for me is United will declare on 65 minutes at 5-0 and we batter them for the remaining 25+ minutes and Lose 5-2 !

Enjoy the day and evening on Tuesday and back our journeymen and youngsters as they will need assistance.

"Things can only get better" ?

From Wednesday onwards in the League hopefully.
    And worth remembering that our 94 team was MUCH better than the current one.

I don't think we will be humiliated. United apart from anything else will be saving themselves for the City match, so will be happy to ease off once the game is won. The important thing is that we don't do anything stupid. No reckless lunges (Inniss, Clare and Dobbo in particular) please.
  • Options
    Will be my first visit to Old Trafford since 1968, when as a 14 year old boy I stood in the Stretford End with my 12 year old brother and watched the then league champions play out a 2-2 draw with Spurs.
    Yeh, I know it was disloyal but we were kids and it was an amazing experience.
    Ironically I have never seen us play there; life, circumstances or no excuse always got in the way.
    I can't wait for Tuesday.
    We will probably get stuffed but we really have nothing to lose. I'm relaxed and have no anxiety about it and it would be great if the players felt the same.
    If they work as hard as they did against Brighton and leave everything on the pitch that's all we can ask.
    And who knows, it's a funny old game

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there in '86 as an 11 year old to see us win on my first visit.  Been once since. This will be my third trip.

We will get beaten very comfortably, could be 7/8+. Then again, I said that when we played Brighton so you never know.

I will enjoy the trip anyway.
  • Options
    It’s apparently going to very wet. Well it is Manchester, after all. 18mm of rain expected. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    cazo said:
    I think 3-1 and will give them a good game and be a good day-night 
    Would snap your hand off for that. Honestly think it will be a drubbing. 6-0 United however it would be incredible if we score first.
    To be honest i was fearing that but given the busy xmas/new year schedule, a full strength side in their last game, a Manchester derby early on Saturday and now yesterday the news that the PL have rearranged their away game at Palace for next midweek meaning they face Man City, Palace and Arsenal in the space of 8 days i don't think it'll be anywhere close to their main side.

No doubt they've obviously still got a number of internationals who can come in, but i'm expecting their lineup to be more Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Fred, McTominay, Garnacho etc than Varane, Shaw, Casemiro, Fernandes and Rashford. 
  • Options
    I think we have to play our best team at the moment, the satrting team against Pompey and Lincoln with AMB if available and hope they make changes which unsettle them a bit.
  • Options
    We'll be lucky to get nil.

That's what I said ahead of the Brighton tie, so maybe it's an omen.
  • Options
    Looking forward to it. Important to show the players we are behind them and hopefully we can sneak a result but understand that is highly unlikely! 

Gonna be a great day either way with 9k strong at Old Trafford! 

COYA!
  • Options
    Let's be honest we are right up against it so we just need to try to go into the game without fear knowing we got nothing to lose
    Going for a fantastic 2-1 win to the famous CAFC Come On You Reds  B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Park the bus and hang on for grim death, our greatest ever upset might just be possible, or out with a whimper I can't decide. 
  • Options
    2-1 Utd - no shame in that - just think they have more quality than the likes of Brighton and their tails are up at home. 
  • Options
    Having been to Old Trafford first in 1974 League Cup and seeing us take a first minute lead only to lose 1-5 nothing is impossible.

Ten Hag will under estimate the task put before his United team. He will have to change his team around before taking control of the match. United will be in semi final draw but Ten Hag will be sweating . Rashford comes on and scores to begin 3-0 victory.

All Charlton fans enjoy watching Ten Hag sweat.😀

I am unable to attend myself.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    I think 3-1 and will give them a good game and be a good day-night 
    Would snap your hand off for that. Honestly think it will be a drubbing. 6-0 United however it would be incredible if we score first.
    To be honest i was fearing that but given the busy xmas/new year schedule, a full strength side in their last game, a Manchester derby early on Saturday and now yesterday the news that the PL have rearranged their away game at Palace for next midweek meaning they face Man City, Palace and Arsenal in the space of 8 days i don't think it'll be anywhere close to their main side.

No doubt they've obviously still got a number of internationals who can come in, but i'm expecting their lineup to be more Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Fred, McTominay, Garnacho etc than Varane, Shaw, Casemiro, Fernandes and Rashford. 
    Yea I agree they will likely rest many players and play the likes of Fred and Mctominay but i still think the difference in class will be evident and enough to give us a good seeing too.

However I'm just looking forward to being amongst 9k of charlton fans at old Trafford having a right good old sing song. 
  • Options
    I think we need to go 

With our best 11 whatever that is.

• Options
    I was there in 86 - our only win there since 1938 !!!

I thought Brighton would batter us, but they didn’t, so who knows…..