Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Macauley Bonne - now at Southend (p29)

Comments

• True, Morgan at 10 and Bonne at 8 irritates the Football Manager player in me

They're playing in the false 10 and false 8 positions... fits in with the false football we've played this season.
  • edited January 2023
    "He needs service FFS"

My prediction for the most-used CL phrase of 2023. 
  • Good signing as he's a better goalscorer than the others we have at present.
  • unfortunately these days the shirt number has little relevance, the only other available numbers are 11,15,20.25.26 and any number from 55 onwards
  • unfortunately these days the shirt number has little relevance, the only other available numbers are 11,15,20.25.26 and any number from 55 onwards
    Obvs, innit. 99. Although the FA wouldn’t let Ferdinand move from 9 to 99 when Shearer went to Newcastle. 
  • It will be interesting if he scores on his debut and looks willing.
  • edited January 2023
    How many goals do you think Bonne will score between now and the end of the season? 

Answers on a postcard please.

0-3

3-5

5-7

7-10

10+
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasn't convinced with Bonne first time round but do remember thinking he would do well in League 1 when we went down. Certainly will get behind him and he knows himself that he needs to really impress this time. Might surprise us.
  • Bonne choosing the number 8 shirt and playing up front is worse than anything he’s said on social media. Get him gone 
    True, Morgan at 10 and Bonne at 8 irritates the Football Manager player in me.
    Morgan on the pitch irritates me.

• Bonne and Stockley spotted having a laugh at the training ground 
  • KettsJohn said:
    Wasn't convinced with Bonne first time round but do remember thinking he would do well in League 1 when we went down. Certainly will get behind him and he knows himself that he needs to really impress this time. Might surprise us.
    I think Macca needs service, he’s probably a 1 in 3 chance taker, hopefully Corey and Jes can provide some ammo for him.

I think we’ve got to remember he had Lyle playing alongside him, who was like 2 players, which I’m sure helped him get his goal tally up for us last time.
  • Chunes said:
    "He needs service FFS"

My prediction for the most-used CL phrase of 2023. 
    Well it's an upgrade on 2022 and 2021 "turgid" and "dog shit"
  • How many goals do you think Bonne will score between now and the end of the season? 

0-3

3-5

5-7

7-10

10+
    I think 0-3 because it will, hopefully mainly, be sub appearances.  Which means Leaburn will.play all the remaining games and get another dozen.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    How many goals do you think Bonne will score between now and the end of the season? 

0-3

3-5

5-7

7-10

10+
    I think 0-3 because it will, hopefully mainly, be sub appearances.  Which means Leaburn will.play all the remaining games and get another dozen.
    In a weird way, I hope you’re wrong. If Leaburn scores another 12 he definitely won’t be here next season 
  • Chunes said:
    What did people make of his appearances against us at The Valley? For QPR & Ipswich.
    For QPR he held the ball up well and was very mobile. Looked leaner than he was when previously with us. Drifts out wide quite a bit but that may have been the instruction. 
  • 7-10 would be a decent return. 
  • Sponsored links:

• How many goals do you think Bonne will score between now and the end of the season? 

0-3

3-5

5-7

7-10

10+
    I think he'll average a goal every 270 minutes he plays so max 7 if he plays all of every game, which he won't. I'll go with 3-5.
  • one one minute I think Leaburns the real deal,  then I see him miss chances (a couple recently that the Rak has set up ) that if Bonne missed he’d get crucified .
    Leaburn has more to his game but he needs to get a bit more clinical before I stick the £20m price tag on him !
  • I seemed to be in the minority but I loved him and just hope the last 3 and a bit years haven't taken his admirable work rate away 

0-3

3-5

5-7

7-10

10+
    7-10
  • If he starts then he will get 7or 8
  • 7 league goals in the first half of the season would have made him the top scorer so nice to see so many rate him.
    I think he can do it as well so 7-10 for me.
  • Somewhere between 5-10 depending on how much actual game time he gets- probably closer to 5 than 10 though
  • thenewbie said:
    Somewhere between 5-10 depending on how much actual game time he gets- probably closer to 5 than 10 though
    5-10 is not one of the options so 5-7?
  • edited January 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Somewhere between 5-10 depending on how much actual game time he gets- probably closer to 5 than 10 though
    This for me, I’m not his biggest fan football wise (I don’t do twatter) and it wouldn’t surprise me if he scores today because he’ll be chomping at the bit to do well if he gets on.
  • SDAddick said:
    Not really interested in what he says on social media, I just think he’s a poor, poor striker. How anyone can think our recruitment is anything other than an utter joke is beyond me.
    He very obviously is not a "poor  poor striker".

Latest league one performances by striker options for Charlton:

Bonne;  46 appearances, 12 goals.  
    Washington: 38 appearances, 11 goals
    Stockley:  29 appearances 3 goals.

Washington has a marginally better goals to games ratio, but not by much, and it seems unlikely he is an option.  Stockley has around 1 in 10.  Aneke, is unlikely to score again in the foreseeable future.

He may be an average average striker.  But he is better than any other options we have.
    Sorry, just don't rate him.

I quite liked Washington, but he was getting more wasteful the longer he went on; Stockley hasn't been the same since his injury and Chuks? If he had a decent level of fitness he'd be playing a lot higher up the league than he does now. We've been very lucky that Leaburn Jr has come through, wasn't that long ago he was behind Kanu,  

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. It's not just luck that Miles has come through, it's been really good development. He was clearly a part of the first team squad from the start of pre season. This was no fluke, people at the club saw something in him and thought he was ready to make the step up.

Many doubted this. I was chief amongst them. I thought a year of him playing out wide and getting used to the pace and physicality of senior football would be good for him. Maybe a second half loan. But I didn't think he had the touch and tactical awareness to play up front on his own.

I was dead wrong. 

And thank God I was. 

But he didn't come out of nowhere, and he didn't fluke his way into the first team on a run of good performances. He has been developed to be where he is. And yes, we needed another striker in the summer. And now, it'd be ideal if we could move Stockley on and get a more complete forward in. Both this, and the fact that the club got it right with Miles, can be true at the same time. 
    45 minutes ain’t gonna cut it 😜😎