Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Barnsley | Saturday 14th January 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Barnsley
Saturday 14th January 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Craig Hicks

Introduction
The Addicks faced a daunting task at Old Trafford on Tuesday evening, and whilst the job at hand verged on the impossible, the players involved certainly didn't disgrace themselves against one of England's best clubs - The important thing now is to build on that performance and continue looking upwards at the table rather than behind, we've won our last two league games so Dean Holden has the foundations of form to work with... Lets carry that form into a third league win on the trot!!

The Opposition
Name: Barnsley (6th) | Manager: Michael Duff
Ground: Oakwell
Previous League Result: Barnsley 0-3 Bolton Wanderers

Michael Duff perhaps had a sluggish start to life with Barnsley, after moving from Cheltenham in the summer... Their form at the start of the season saw three defeats, two wins, and a draw - Enter September though, and performances improved, and whilst they struggled against the Addicks at Oakwell, came away with a 3-1 win, which became part of a run of five wins, and just the one draw... Form once again dipped in October, but since then Duff and his men have found their rhythm, they come into this game having won six of the last eight, however lost heavily at home to Bolton in their last league game.

Form this season has left Barnsley around sixth spot in the League, various postponements have typically meant that some teams have played more games than others - Once all said is done, the Tykes could well be just four points behind Sheffield Wednesday, not easily done of course given the momentum that the top three have carried for the majority of the campaign.

That last defeat also saw a red card for Mads Anderson, the 6'4 Centre-Back from Denmark received his marching orders last time out, so will be suspended for this game, and could well be a big miss having been involved in all League games this season - Barnsley however will be able to call upon Striker: Max Watters who has signed on loan from Cardiff City.

Charlton Team News
Overall strength in depth has been the biggest issue for the Addicks this season, there have been periods over the year where we've shown how impressive we can be, but just a handful of injuries to key players have left us looking lame and toothless - With the January Transfer Window now open, it means we can strength in the areas lacking and already we've seen the return of Macauley Bonne (however welcome that may be), and Todd Kane on loan from Coventry City... Further incomings should be expected, which'll hopefully push us on up the table to at least mid-table obscurity for the rest of the season.

The match against Manchester United will have tested player fitness to the extreme, so we shouldn't be surprised to see changes to the starting eleven... Eoghan O'Connell is one who has made a very welcome return after injury, yet he may have to wait for an opportunity to start, given the impressive partnership being formed between Ryan Inniss and the ever improving Lucas Ness.

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Inniss - Ness - Kane
Morgan - Dobson - Payne
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Harness - O'Connell - Sessegnon - Fraser - Henry - Bonne - Kirk

Comments

• Options
    Clare at left back? Hope not. Kane is a right back 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Clare can't play left back as he is two one footed and every movement down the left that involves him breaks down because of it. If Sessengnon is fit, surely he plays.
  • Options
    Going for a tough 2-1 win.
  • Options
    I too think that the effort from Tuesday will see some miss out. Bonne to start for Leaburn, and Lavelle and O'Connell at CB. Kirk to get his last ever Charlton start, in place of CBT. Sess needs a a rest, so Kane at LB. Lots of subs with half an hour to go....

After the lord mayors show...2-1 defeat....
  • Options
    I don't see too many changes if any and I have a feeling we are going to see a good performance and victory. It is a feeling I haven't had for a while.
  • Options
    2-1 to the Addicks. Hopefully we defend better than the Lincoln game.

Need to take more of our chances.
  • Options
    Would we not expect to have Kane at RB and Sess still at LB? I know it's not his natural side but he's been doing quite well there and would probably give us better balance
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    Kane for Clare might be the only change I think, if there are any. Clare looked absolutely knackered at the end on Tuesday. Most other changes make us a lot weaker as we still don’t have quality depth in a few areas 
  • Options
    In an ideal world we'd be able to start the same team from Tuesday, but I can't see it. I think Iniss, Sess, and CBT will need to be replaced. O'Connell, Kane, and probably Clare to come in. You may be right that Fraser, or maybe Morgan, need to be rested from the start as well. 

I really hope the last three games give us a boost for the rest of the season. I worry that we will look knackered after the physical and mental toll of Tuesday. 

A win would be a really, really good result. A draw would be decent against a solid Barnsley side. A loss would be disappointing, but it's what I predict.

.............. AMB
    Kane Ness O'Connell Clare
    .. Morgan Dobbo Fraser
    JRS....... Leaburn.... Kirk

Harness Lavelle Sessegnon Henry Payne CBT Bonne
  • Options
    Would we not expect to have Kane at RB and Sess still at LB? I know it's not his natural side but he's been doing quite well there and would probably give us better balance
    Wouldnt surprise me, but it looks as though Sessegnon's fitness has been a concern at times, even when he hasnt been injured

Wasnt able to last the 90mins against United, whereas Clare was

Maybe it was done with tomorrow in mind so we can go with the full backs you mention instead of Clare - Especially if they pretty much knew that Todd Kane was incoming - But equally wouldnt be surprised if Sessegnon has to be rested.
  • Options
    I said this about Garner at the start of the season, and I'll see it about Holden now: having to rotate a winning team is necessary for sustained success. Holden has more depth to work with than Garner did (though still not ideal). But it's really important to get a tune out of your bench players. 
  • Options
    Kane and O’Connell for Clare and Ness, otherwise unchanged but the stronger bench will secure 3 points
  • Options
    A must win game. Just hope the team that played ManU shows up rather than the team that showed for OxU
  • Options
    It would be harsh to drop any of the players that started against Utd and I am expecting us to start the same team, although I expect subs being made much earlier.
  • Options
    I am not buying into the hype we will put in the effort we did at Old Trafford, I suspect we will revert to league one football however a performance like we put in at Pompey will do fine.
    Tough game against strong opposition so could go either way.
     I would not drop Ness as some are suggesting as the kid is a real talent and deserves to hold his place 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    I was impressed with Barnsley at their place earlier in the season. Played on the front foot and had pretty much complete control of the game running out 3 - 1 winners. Their midfield dominated and if Charlton are to get something out of tomorrow’s game then we’ve got to out compete them there. We’re at home this time so I expect Barnsley to be less adventurous but I’m thinking a draw is most likely. 1 - 1 We definitely don’t want to go a goal down in this one. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    They haven't been that great since Christmas. I think we do better against the better sides at home because they try to impose their game on us rather than stop us. Of course Barnsley may well try to stop us seeing they have lost their last two league games and then it is a matter of us getting the first goal.
  • Options
    Barnsley to continue their mid-season wobble, one of their main CHs out suspended. A bold 3-1 win. Oi oi…
  • Options
    Barnsley have scored less goals than us but have conceded a lot less .. we're on a roll, including the O T show and I expect us to win this one. Really cheesed off as I planned to come to this one, hotel and train booked etc .. I am still struggling with whatever it is that has plagued me for the past month, so will be sitting indoors feeling sorry for my poor old self .. ahhh  :'(
    Expect an unchanged team with Bonne and Kane on the Bench .. incidentally Maynard - Brewer is proving to be one of the finds of the season .. long may he prosper

CAFC 1 v Barnsley 0
  • Options
    Barnsley are having a wobble. Back to back 3-0 defeats. We looked to a man, knackered after Tuesday. Finally get a clean sheet, but not 3 points. 0-0.
  • Options
    Have no idea who needs a rest, but my guess is none of them will want to sit this out. Gotta keep the momentum going!👍
    I don’t think Holden will let them take the foot off the gas, and am predicting a decent win, maybe 3-1?
  • Options
    Maynard
    Kane - Inniss - Ness - Sess
    Clare - Dobson - Fraser
    Sakyi - Leaburn - T.Blackett

We'll probably lose whatever we do, but I think we win 2-1 if we start the above team. 
    Morgan to replace Clare around 60mins
    Bonne for Leaburn
    Campbell for Taylor Blackett
    Maybe O'Connell for Ness or Inniss a bit later

Last sub only to be used if enforced.
  • Options
    Not a scooby.  As i have followed Charlton more, I have often wondered wether Robert Louis Stevenson was an Addick, and the idea for one of his more famous novels, incubated while watching Charlton at The Valley?

3-2
  • Options
    Sorry 0-2 . It's the Charlton way
  • Options
    A:
    Full back (Kane)
    Centre back (O'Connell)
    Centre mid (Clare/Payne)
    Forward change (Bonne/Shirk/Stockley) 

should be enough to keep continuity and some fresh legs.