Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Barnsley | Saturday 14th January 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Unless we have players who are genuinely not fit enough to start following the exertions at OT, then we should start the same 11. We can always sub them later if they run out of steam.

We have a bit of momentum and a bit more confidence back in the squad after the last few games. I have a good feeling about this game and think we will win if we don't mess around with the team too much. Predict 2-0 win.

Unless we have injuries I expect both new signings to be on the bench.
  • Options
    Keep same team as last three games obviously with Maynard Brewer between the sticks.Bonne & Kane on bench. Think we can nick this if we continue the recent turn in form 
  • Options
    Here's hoping for a repeat of Tuesday and getting another 9K Charlton fans to a game! 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I'd stick with the same starting line up unless any injury issues - bonne and kane on the bench - be interesting to see if stockley still makes the bench or not - won't be there tomorrow but really hope we do win and push on now - a win tomorrow and i wouldn't rule anything out this season. Plenty of teams have got there act together in this division about now and sneaked into the play offs.    
    Exactly my thoughts - Last Tuesday's team has earned their places tomorrow if fit. Plus the new boys maybe lacking match practice so bench.

Need to keep up the momentum in the league and if we do well enough against these next 4 teams, then that will give a good indication as to whether It's still possible to retrieve this season.

• Options
    Agree with Dazzler's selection and subs. Great minds think alike...
  • Options
    Horrible game horrible opponents our record v Barnsley is not great ,, same could be said about next home game v Bolton so again the fixture machine as not been kind to us especially when we are in the upward curve …. 
    Team not sure how fit Bonne is but I would start him and give Leaburn a rest same with Clare

we can now rest them and bring better players in … 
    Personally take a draw .. just keep the good vibes going …. 
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if several of our players aren't running on fumes after the United match. As tempting as it might be to put out the same XI I fear it'll cost us if we do.
  • Options
    Barnsley manager Duff made manager of the month for the second month running, time for them to lose 
  • Options
    Hoping that Bonne apologises before the game to all the fans offended by his 'outrageous' comments on social media - still a lot of people very upset.

He also needs to apologise for not being a better footballer.

The apologies should enable everyone to move on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I'd be surprised if several of our players aren't running on fumes after the United match. As tempting as it might be to put out the same XI I fear it'll cost us if we do.
    they put a shift in yes, but ultimately just played 90 minutes of football - can't for the life of me understand how a professional football player can't play 90 minutes of football twice in 4 days ?   
    Oh come on, the time makes no difference - it's the effort. There is no doubt that the effort (because of the opposition) was a lot higher than other games this season.

A comparison would be me doing 90 minutes of exercise and @Plaaayer doing 90 minutes worth of exercise. I bet he could repeat his 'effort' a lot more regularly than me.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Inniss should've been subbed late on at Old Trafford. Watch the 2nd and 3rd goals again and Inniss just can't get back. Inniss has never been able to play 3 games in a week before without being injured (not in his cafc career)
    Shame as the big Man is a decent League 1 CB except when he tries to overplay on the ball and gave two goals away that cost Cafc the match recently.

When ever Sessegnon (He can do LB) isn't fit to play it's embarrassing to see RB's playing at LB. Even Solly and Gomez struggled trying to tackle with their wrong foot. Gunter, Clare, Chin the list is endless.
    So was that bollocks about Edun being a done deal ? 
    Is it too much too expect a Left footed Left back with some pace who can get forward to join ? Obviously why did I ask !

Can't for the life of me see how Bonne could start; when he plays it needs to be in a two with Leaburn.

After the lord Mayor's show ?

History says we will screw up tomorrow but it would be great if we could get the win, even if we use 16 players as Momentum and confidence is a wonderful partnership.

2-1 win in a rain fest of the good, the bad and the ugly victory.

Row Z when defending when pressed as sorry Ben Garner but you can't get blood from a stone.

I have really warmed to Dean 'look at me when I talk to you' Holden.

Deano, Deano. 
  • Options
    I would expect the same team - with five subs available, there'll be plenty of opportunity to make substitutions on 50-60 minutes if needed.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I'm going for 2 0 in the hope of cheering myself up.

Having stated earlier that I was less than impressed with the Bonne signing I set about reading up about Kane on the Coventry site Skybluestalk.co.uk (outgoings). 

NorthernWisdom posted:-
    Although equally tbf, Kane hasn't really impressed me - ironically his Wrexham cameo was the best I've seen him for a fair while. He's been immobile and static so not much of an attacking threat and not an outlet, not stunning defensively. Has undeniably got a good cross, but that both hasn't been working as well recently, and even when it has we tend to have few in the box anyway when the cross comes in (and they're midgets) so not really suited to our style of play, anyway.

mmmm it hasn't worked so I'll just have to finish off the Christmas whisky.

• Options
    They haven't been that great since Christmas. I think we do better against the better sides at home because they try to impose their game on us rather than stop us. Of course Barnsley may well try to stop us seeing they have lost their last two league games and then it is a matter of us getting the first goal.
    100% this - we can’t break a team down that parks the bus . Leaves no room for CBT or JRS.  So far this season we have needed  teams who play on the front foot for us to do well. 
  • Options
    They haven't been that great since Christmas. I think we do better against the better sides at home because they try to impose their game on us rather than stop us. Of course Barnsley may well try to stop us seeing they have lost their last two league games and then it is a matter of us getting the first goal.
    100% this - we can’t break a team down that parks the bus . Leaves no room for CBT or JRS.  So far this season we have needed  teams who play on the front foot for us to do well. 

Spot on Billy boots:
    That why Lincoln are the first team that we have beaten that were in the bottom half of the table when we played them.

We need teams to come out rather than parking two buses.

• Options
    Looking forward to another good performance & a good win going for a 3-1 win for the famous CAFC Come On you Reds  B)
  • Options
    Hoping that Bonne apologises before the game to all the fans offended by his 'outrageous' comments on social media - still a lot of people very upset.

A player gets viciously abused by people on social media, surprise, surprise, he feels angry and responds in similiar fashion. Is this right, no, were the people abusing him in the right, no. Stop being so precious, people lash out when they feel feel threatened. He does not need to apologise for me, what I want to see is a performance on the pitch.
    I was joking...🤦‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A player gets viciously abused by people on social media, surprise, surprise, he feels angry and responds in similiar fashion. Is this right, no, were the people abusing him in the right, no. Stop being so precious, people lash out when they feel feel threatened. He does not need to apologise for me, what I want to see is a performance on the pitch.
    What... Does nobody believe the jibe was aimed at QPR anyway? Are we saying Mac is not credible here? ;)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    That’s original Seth
  • Options
    A case of after the Lord Mayor's show perhaps? I think the team will be tired and this will be a struggle. 1-1 with Bonne coming off the bench to silence the doubter, mwah ha haa indeed!!!
  • Options
    Win this and suddenly the playoffs are within reach again, what an up and down season!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    You don't change a winning team & they played tues evening not frigging last night. A professional footballer can play 3 games in a week for Christ sake.

Saying that we'll still lose. After the Lord Mayor's show & all thay. It wouldn't be Charlton if they didn't let down the fans.

Result the same as the reverse fixture. 1-3.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I went to the away 3-1 defeat in September and we were poor that day. The average player mark was 5.06 with Payne our scorer top with 6.3 after only being on the pitch for 26 minutes! From the bottom scores up were, Morgan, Lavelle, Stockley, O’Connell, Leaburn, Clare and CBT all scoring less than 5 ! The away support was very restless at the end as the team left the pitch to a loud chorus of ‘ Effing useless Dah, Dah, Dah, Dah’ .

Now the performance on Tuesday on the back of two wins in the league was like chalk and cheese to the reverse fixture and most of the players mentioned still in the side have found a bit of form. Couple that with a new coach steering the ship who tells it as it is firing them up, I don’t think this will be another capitulation. So I’m going for a 3-1 to us COYRs!
  • Options
    Bonne to score a late winner having come off the bench and getting booked for taking off his shirt to reveal an apology message in front of the covered end. 

Tunnel jump to be replaced by him doing a rendition of Cher's If I Could Turn Back Time.

It's the only way we can move on.
  • Options
    Has Stockley gone then?
  • Options
    Going by myself today, how do I go about going in a different stand if I want?