Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Barnsley | Saturday 14th January 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

124»

Comments

• Options
    Payne still leading our assists 
  • Options
    A but harsh on Clare but he was run ragged Tuesday evening. Good to see shave attacking options on the bench.....we might just need them !
    Shave attack!

Shave attack!!

SHAVE ATTACK!!!

You love to hear it down The Valley
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Not sure on Payne and Campbell being selected over Morgan and CBT 🤔
    I suspect it's due to the latter two needing rest after a hectic week. 

Campbell starting ahead of Kirk and DJ, neither of whom are on the bench, indicates to me that both might be moving on this window. 
    Hopefully.
    I'm not sure I'd have Campbell ahead of the two of them though. There's promise there, but he's still very raw and drifts in and out of games. 

I'd rather keep one of DJ or Kirk and see if they can thrive in a 4-3-3 setup that better suits them than the other systems we've been playing. 
  • Options
    Thought Clare did well Vs man u so can only assume it's fitness related.

The main surprise is Payne over Morgan as can't imagine that is fitness related. Morgan gives far better balance to that midfield 3 than Payne I feel.

Hopefully CBT can come on for the second half. Campbell has done ok but hasn't shown he's ready to start league games IMO but needs must.
  • Options
    Clare had a decent second half against Man Utd. But based on his form over the past 5 games, don't think he would have kept his place if we'd had another option to play there. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

The main surprise is Payne over Morgan as can't imagine that is fitness related. Morgan gives far better balance to that midfield 3 than Payne I feel.

Hopefully CBT can come on for the second half. Campbell has done ok but hasn't shown he's ready to start league games IMO but needs must.
    I feel like Clare is probably one of the fittest and most athletic members of the squad, he’s just not one of the best right backs.

He got dropped from RB pretty quickly after Egbo came back as well.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

My problem with Payne playing is that he means Fraser has to play differently.  Payne isn't as good at what Fraser has been doing and Fraser isn't as good when he tries to do something else.  So it weakens you in two areas.  From overflowing with center mids we now look a bit short.

The only reason I would start Payne in midfield is if Fraser isn't avaliable.  I would probably have started Payne instead of Cambell.

This will probably look a load of tosh in about 2 hours time 🤷
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2023
    Clare doesn’t have discipline or positional sense for right back imo. He appears to like playing further forward. Never been confident with Clare at right back. I understand that is preference & instinct to play further up the pitch - what with injuries at right back, he has had to cover there. Probably not his choice.

Clare’s understanding of right back might help with forging a good relationship with an attacking right back,  if he can cover those runs forward. 🤔 Maybe needs to practice shooting / work on his composure but that might happen with more time on the pitch. 
    Would like to see Clare find his niche in the team & do well. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Likely a fitness issue I'd assume otherwise Payne and Campbell are strange selections. 
    Very strange…..Payne with the assist and Campbell with the goal.