Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match thread; Charlton Athletic Vs Barnsley | Saturday 14th January 2023-KO 3-00 PM

Comments

• Options
    In 12th, six points off of the Playoffs. I could see Port Vale and Exeter falling away. Peterborough, Wycombe, Derby, and Barnsley have al come down in the last two seasons. The top three definitely uncatchable. 

It's...doable. It's note likely, but it's doable. We have some good League One players in this squad, it's about finding the best way to get the best out of them. Holden really seems to be doing it at the moment. 

How serious the injuries to Sess and Kane are could play a huge role. We know we need another LB. Kane provides some much needed quality at RB. But going into next weekend with Clare as the only fit FB will be really tough. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I predicted 2-1 and good, the bad and an ugly win with tired legs.

I seemed to have spent a lot of the last 48 hrs defending Macaulay Bonne, so pleased he got on and played his part in the 2nd goal.

Charlton fans/critics are so fickle that if we can win and he can score or assist he will be a good option until the summer; Then make a judgement.

Great to see 3 wins and I was in a minority but I always felt today was a mega match in our season and the United game was a day out but the result was never going to go our way. 

Gutsy performance today as so many players were knackered including Captain George Dobson.
    We found a way to win despite the usual injury to a full back ! Two full backs before HT !

9 points from 3 games.

Dean Holden, be lucky.

• Options
    That could turn out to be a very important win. Six points off the play offs is doable. Twelve is probably doable in theory only.

Thought it was a good match and we did well to stop Barnsley from scoring. Felt sorry for Kane, typical Charlton getting injured on his debut. Bonne looked a big step up from Stockley. If only he can keep on side. Maybe not as bad as Payne in that respect who looks like he's got an off side season ticket. Great finish from Campbell for the opener. Really pleased for him.
  • Options
    Dean holden just gets football.
    Every club is the same
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    SDAddick said:
    Brownie: "I love stats. I'm a stats man."

Literally every weekend he whinges about how stats don't tell the whole story. The man is farcical. 
    Haha think he may have said that with tongue firmly in cheek.
  • Options
    Another good win looks like we have found our game & look like we will be in to he playoffs yessssss 
    Come On You Reds  B)
  • Options
    It’s extremely rare, but every now and then you actually watch a good match in League One. 

Thought we played pretty well, I don’t want to buy into the Holden hype just yet - been burned far too many times before - but he really does seem to have had a positive impact. For their part, Barnsley might feel a little hard done by to have lost by two, but I do think we were worthy winners.

Peterborough will be a good indicator of where we are, win that and I might just clamber aboard the Holden bandwagon!! 
  • Options
    That was a fantastic performance given our efforts last Saturday and Tuesday some players looked very tired but everyone put in a real battling performance.. Inniss Ness and o Connell were immense today .. have to say we had to beat the officials as well absolute joke. 

Hopefully Kane injury not to bad he walked off ok .. and it was good to see Bonne get a fantastic Charlton welcome .. plus the songs about TS seemed to have stopped as well 

so excellent day all round . 

PS Paul Elliott in the directors box again 

• Options
    Fair to say that we were lucky that Barnsley didn't score but you could probably equally argue that we were pretty unlucky that United got three in midweek, neither score truly reflects the respective game but sometimes that's how it goes.

Of the things we can control, a lot of it was positive. Barnsley went for the throat early on (no doubt hoping to catch us hungover from Old Trafford) but we came through. Kane looks good, Campbell took his goal well. 

Throughout the game we kept to it, Dobson was not at his peak but as said other midfielders found an extra gear just when we needed it. Ness looks like being the best defender to graduate since Gomez, there was plenty of fight and effort and no one shirked.

Yes it was a lucky win in the end but still a lot of positives.
  • Options
    Does this mean we are back onboard HMS Pistheleague or HMS Maketheplayoffs?
  • Options
    Great stuff. Let’s hope for a Shave Attack next week too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We haven’t had a corner in our last 2 league games but have won both of them
  • Options
    A battling win - Barnsley are a good side and we were under the cosh for a lot of the game. Some last ditch blocks and a large slice of luck helped  us win.

We are piling up the injuries.

We struggle retaining possession and make too many careless passes.
  • Options
    extra day off deserved by most of them after that
    winning ugly is winning all the same
    Garner's halfwit possession stat bollocks a distant (but terrible) memory
    Let's hope some more pragmatic clear sighted ownership follows the move to pragmatic clearer sighted team management
  • Options
    Quite ironic that their number 5 got booked for a tackle on Miles Leaburn when their number 6 was all over him for the entire first half.  At the very least he owes Leaburn a new shirt!
  • Options
    Barnsley can feel pretty miffed at coming away with nothing from that game. Tuesday clearly took a lot out of us with Dobbo barely putting a foot right all game. Scrappy from us but feel our 2nd knocked the stuffing out of them a bit and we defended resolutely after that. Ness is looking better by the game. Bonne's reading of the offside line hasn't improved in his time away from us but he gave us more running and effort than seen from Stockley for most most of this season.

A good game to win when not playing well which is testament to Holden's set up and keeping things more simple.
    They did it to themselves. At 0-0 they looked like they were trying to minimise the amount of time the ball was in play. They went behind and had to catch up and it was Charlton’s turn to minimise the amount of time the ball was in play. We won. 
  • Options
    Tuesday would have taken something out of us physically and given us something in terms of confidence. I think both were evident and the confidence won out. We look to be a different side which now finds a way to win rather than the opposite.
  • Options
    I make that a four goal swing in a month. All credit to Holden. I reckon we’d have lost that one 3-1 a month ago! 

Ness and Maynard Brewer are getting better by the week! 

What a lovely feeling to win without having to completely outplay a side for 90 minutes!