Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match thread; Charlton Athletic Vs Barnsley | Saturday 14th January 2023-KO 3-00 PM

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    I reckon I might be a bit delusional you know, cause reading this match thread you'd think Barnsley were the better side and we rode our luck. 

But my take was it was as good as a performance as I can remember and the only time we look troubled was their crossbar efforts, one of which I believe AMB knew his goal. 

Felt mostly all their shots were nothing shots directly at our players and we defended well. Bit of a laboured performance (in particular Dobbo & Clare) but our wingers got us through it with their hold up and pace along with Fraser having one of his more tenacious performances with his usual composure when he got the ball back. 

In regards to Holden, I am nowhere near sold, learning from my mistakes. If we had only won one game so far I suspect the 'he just gets us' comments wouldn't be as frequent. Let's see where we are at the end of the season. I reckon we finish between 8-10th. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    and anybody else who said a striker or 2 wasn't a priority in the summer need to have a word with themselves  
    No one said that.  People also said we needed a left back.  The two weren't, and still aren't, mutually exclusive.  Anyone digging other fans for things no one ever said needs to have a word with themselve.
    Agreed. No one said we didn’t need striker, but quiet a few said they didn’t think it was a ‘priority’ compared to other positions.

I know there’s lots of variables involved, but considering we are 5th in the table for goals for, and 17th for goals against - I think those defensive reinforcements were what we were really crying out for. 
    bingo - that's exactly what people were saying and what garner was saying and how wrong they were - we need a left back, yes but playing half a season with stockley as the only senior striker is shocking    
    But if Garner was not fused about a striker why did we nearly sign Bonne on deadline day?  For bants?
    I was told Gallen had said Garner wasn’t that fussed re another striker,  3rd hand info but no reason for it to be made up 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    and anybody else who said a striker or 2 wasn't a priority in the summer need to have a word with themselves  
    No one said that.  People also said we needed a left back.  The two weren't, and still aren't, mutually exclusive.  Anyone digging other fans for things no one ever said needs to have a word with themselve.
    Agreed. No one said we didn’t need striker, but quiet a few said they didn’t think it was a ‘priority’ compared to other positions.

I know there’s lots of variables involved, but considering we are 5th in the table for goals for, and 17th for goals against - I think those defensive reinforcements were what we were really crying out for. 
    bingo - that's exactly what people were saying and what garner was saying and how wrong they were - we need a left back, yes but playing half a season with stockley as the only senior striker is shocking    
    But if Garner was not fused about a striker why did we nearly sign Bonne on deadline day?  For bants?
    why did he leave it to the final day / to chance ? it was THE priority signing!!! 
    If you think any manager, for the last 2 and a half years, has a big influence on signings you want to give your head a wobble.  It's like when Bowyer said there were no center halves better than Gunter and Pratley.
    nonsense 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Clare’s chance (in the second half, from about nine yards) didn’t make the highlights, and I don’t thinks it’s been mentioned here. He side footed it past the far post with just the keeper to beat.

It was one of those games where we looked second best, but still fashioned a win out of the chances we’ve had. We’re normally on the receiving end of those results, but good to see us being clinical this time round. 
    Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs without  a collapse in form from some of the teams above us in the table. We might be six points behind Barnsley in 6th, but they have two games in hand on us, so it might well be nine or tens points in reality. 
    Essential that we hang on to Ness and Leaburn if we want to progress. 
    Nine yards? He was outside the box when he struck it.
  • Options
    Not sure if its been mentioned but the impossible happened on Saturday (nothings impossible with our fans) we managed to find someone to do worse that the previous crossbar effort .
    You really had to see it to believe it , I’m not even sure what height it went at but it went so wide of the goal it was near the edge of the box when it crossed the goal line , in a different postcode to where he was aiming for a £5k prize …..
  • Options
    Attendance: 13,266 (1,012 from Barnsley)

Great numbers for Barnsley , impressively made up numbers for Charlton 
  • Options
    If we look back at the memorable chances, Barnsley hit the bar twice, had a shot blocked by their own player which may or may not have been saved by AMB and he made a great save. We had the two goals, the ball to JRS that if he had squared Payne would have tapped in, Claire's effort which went wide and 2 x Innis chances. They were the stand out chances of the game and we had most of them.
  • Options

Can remember them bringing 53 away supporters many years ago. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Clare’s chance (in the second half, from about nine yards) didn’t make the highlights, and I don’t thinks it’s been mentioned here. He side footed it past the far post with just the keeper to beat.

It was one of those games where we looked second best, but still fashioned a win out of the chances we’ve had. We’re normally on the receiving end of those results, but good to see us being clinical this time round. 
    Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs without  a collapse in form from some of the teams above us in the table. We might be six points behind Barnsley in 6th, but they have two games in hand on us, so it might well be nine or tens points in reality. 
    Essential that we hang on to Ness and Leaburn if we want to progress. 
    Nine yards? He was outside the box when he struck it.
    I *think* he was inside the box. My mate and I both thought it was a near sitter, and we wouldn't have thought that if he was outside the box. Could be wrong of course. Will check out the video. 
  • Options
    If we look back at the memorable chances, Barnsley hit the bar twice, had a shot blocked by their own player which may or may not have been saved by AMB and he made a great save. We had the two goals, the ball to JRS that if he had squared Payne would have tapped in, Claire's effort which went wide and 2 x Innis chances. They were the stand out chances of the game and we had most of them.
    Does that include near start of second half they had a point blank header 6 yards out that I think they headed straight at AMB
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Barnsley had an unmarked heading chance very early on. Bloke put it wide and it was possibly their best chance of the game. 
  • Options
    Their set pieces put us to shame. They threatened near enough every time. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I would exclude Aaron Henry from criticism over our set pieces. That kid can deliver great balls. One free kick in particular late in the second half could, maybe should, have resulted in a goal from Inniss.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Chunes said:
    I would exclude Aaron Henry from criticism over our set pieces. That kid can deliver great balls. One free kick in particular late in the second half could, maybe should, have resulted in a goal from Inniss.
    He's certainly back to where I think he should be after falling away under Garner and Hayes. 
  • Options

Good numbers from Barnsley, poor singing though, one of the quietest away crowds (for the size) this season.
  • Options
    Not sure if its been mentioned but the impossible happened on Saturday (nothings impossible with our fans) we managed to find someone to do worse that the previous crossbar effort .
    You really had to see it to believe it , I’m not even sure what height it went at but it went so wide of the goal it was near the edge of the box when it crossed the goal line , in a different postcode to where he was aiming for a £5k prize …..
    He should have asked the Barnsley forward to take it for him and split the pot
  • Options
    I reckon I might be a bit delusional you know, cause reading this match thread you'd think Barnsley were the better side and we rode our luck. 

But my take was it was as good as a performance as I can remember and the only time we look troubled was their crossbar efforts, one of which I believe AMB knew his goal. 

Felt mostly all their shots were nothing shots directly at our players and we defended well. Bit of a laboured performance (in particular Dobbo & Clare) but our wingers got us through it with their hold up and pace along with Fraser having one of his more tenacious performances with his usual composure when he got the ball back. 

In regards to Holden, I am nowhere near sold, learning from my mistakes. If we had only won one game so far I suspect the 'he just gets us' comments wouldn't be as frequent. Let's see where we are at the end of the season. I reckon we finish between 8-10th. 

I have to say I thought the first goal was against the run of play and they were all over us for the first half hour. 
  • Options

I have to say I thought the first goal was against the run of play and they were all over us for the first half hour. 
    It was but I guess to score a breakaway goal, it has to be a bit against the run of play. 

We managed very little meaningful up to that goal (one back-post Rak effort that the keeper saved). They had the free-header wide, two woodwork efforts, the AMB save and the goal-bound shot blocked by their own striker. For the ten mins after Campbell's goal, we were really good. Then the game went very bitty & shit until half-time. 2nd half we worked really hard, were very organised, threatened a bit, scored and generally looked more comfortable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Major said:
    We won. 
    That's right. Against a better team. It's what is needed in L1.
  • Options
    Tried the Roses pub near the ferry for the Barnsley Game. Only a bus ride away and the real ales in there are decent. Going to give it a spin again before the Bolton match
  • Options
    Tried the Roses pub near the ferry for the Barnsley Game. Only a bus ride away and the real ales in there are decent. Going to give it a spin again before the Bolton match
     You do know that the kick-off is 12.30pm.
  • Options
    I do thanks Clive. I love a drink 😆 
  • Options
    Got to enjoy this league winning streak to the max