Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man of the Match term now discarded?

edited January 2023 in General Charlton
Over the past few months I have started to see  gender neutral terms creeping into football. Our Comms team has succumbed to this trend (seen on Sky).  They are calling Lucas Ness "Player of the Match".

This is wrong. He is the "Man of the Match". As would any of our women's team be called "Woman of the Match". 

Is nothing sacred any more? Views welcome. Why is the term "Man of the Match" erased?

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/ness-your-player-match-v-barnsley

Comments

• Options
    In the future when there are mixed gender teams in sports that have hitherto been single sex then it will be player of the match.
    Am I right in thinking that at the moment, at least up to a certain age, you can already have mixed gender teams in Association Football?
    Contemplating probably the most boring sport of all, Synchronised Swimming, recent news is that mens teams will be allowed to compete in top international tournaments, why especially?
    Have mixed Synchronised Swimming.
    There are mixed Horse Riding teams (not keen on that sport myself) but why not have mixed Curling, or Bowls or whatever?
    In that context you can have player of the match.
  • Options
    I just assumed it was a small step further towards the Americanisation of our culture, soon be anniuncing our MVP.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    seth plum said:
    The word ‘woke’ means anti racist.
    To be anti woke is to be pro racism.
    The truth is there is no fixed definition of the word woke, to some like me being called woke is a compliment, to others being called woke is an insult.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The truth is there is no fixed definition of the word woke, to some like me being called woke is a compliment, to others being called woke is an insult.

That is is origins but not now. It is about more than that now and means to me needlessly erasing traditions and practices (obviously racism should be erased!). Irrelevant of the discussion on wokeness (can easily not use the word to stop derailing the discussion) - any views on this change. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Depends on the media outlet. For example The Football League Paper in all its reports will classify their award, as Star Man 

Which yesterday the Star Man in our game v Barnsley was Campbell 

The Non League Paper is the same as well
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    If you work on the basis that anyone actually using the label “woke” - either for themselves or towards others that they oppose - is an utter moron then you won’t go far wrong. 
    Note from editor: 'Work' is offensive because there are people who cannot work or do not want to. 'Anyone', should be 'Anythey' surely? 'Label' implies that identities are superficial, but as we know it is what you are born with and cannot change in any way. 'Oppose' is very binary, prefer 'collaborate with'. 'Wrong', also very binary, who is to say what is right or wrong? ( Except me of course). 'Utter', not sure that the vocally challenged would accept this.
    And 'moron' , don't get me started!!

And, yes, 'woke' simply does not exist.
  • Options
    Of course it's a nonsense. 

That said, we should be open to renaming the award if the winner self identifies as a gender other than that assigned to them at birth. 

I look forward to one day seeing "Cat of the match" (and it doesn't necessarily need to be a goalkeeper).

• Options
    Got rid of term "woke" in intro. Don't want to derail discussion. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:

That is is origins but not now. It is about more than that now and means to me needlessly erasing traditions and practices (obviously racism should be erased!). Irrelevant of the discussion on wokeness (can easily not use the word to stop derailing the discussion) - any views on this change. 
    'Words mean whatever I want them to' is not the strong argument you think it is. As Seth said, woke refers to being able to recognise the way certain actions and institutions propagate prejudice towards certain groups. The right wing press has attempted to commandeer the word, as they do with any word or phrase that can succinctly point out the subtle or overt racism, sexism or general prejudice being shown by an individual. The useful thing is that now the word 'woke' is a useful way of identifying frothing panic merchants who get upset over anything at all changing in a way that they are scared threatens their status quo. First they take away our gender-based footballer awards, next they'll be stealing our eyeballs and giving them to Somalian refugees - and they'll use your tax money to do it!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    IF this can be an adults discussion, then I will join in ?  Despite being a few sandwiches short of a picnic !

'Woke' is a word that has undergone a rapid pejorative shift. Woke originally described a state of awareness and sensitivity to social injustices, but has now become a put down for liberal sensibilities.

We have all been affected by our nature or/and nurture whether we realize it or not. 

Some of us are carbon copies of our Families and peer groups and others are the complete opposites. I'm an observer of homo sapiens and their idiosyncrasies and foibles and it's sad especially when families and groups fall out over trivia issues.

MOM or Player of the Match ? 
    In Men's football, MOM sounds fine but so does POTM. I wouldn't want it changed but no problems either way.

In Women's football, and I went to three cracking games in the Woman's Euros including England v Spain, What do the woman want the best player to be called ?
    Let the female footballers decide.

As a Man it's not for me to decide just like it was so wrong for the Preston Ladies* to be banned by Men in blazers 100 years ago because they were becoming too popular.

* They were called Preston Ladies so I haven't changed name to Preston Women.

• Options
    Watched Dartford Women's play a few weeks ago and every player on the pitch used the term "Man on". 1st World problem 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We don't call end of season awards "man of the year" or "young man of the year" do we? Bringing individual match awards in line with that seems perfectly logical to me. Don't see anything "wrong" about it at all - it perfectly describes the award. At least we haven't gone all American with the "MVP" stuff!!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Of course it's a nonsense. 

That said, we should be open to renaming the award if the winner self identifies as a gender other than that assigned to them at birth

I look forward to one day seeing "Cat of the match" (and it doesn't necessarily need to be a goalkeeper).

Tiger of the match sounds good !
    I personally wouldn't bring that into the discussion at this point . We haven't even reached the stage when gay male footballers feel relaxed to come out in the professional game.

In Woman's football, accordingly to several Professional players I have listened too recently you are looking at 50% gay, or 50% straight, including partners in the same team which you would think would be an issue if they split up ?  

Never been an issue in woman's football and the gay and straight woman combine as team mates and the crowd just see woman footballers.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Couldn’t care less. 
    This
  • Options
    Not really relevant but in women's football, man can sometimes be gender neutral eg when playing "man on". 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    In the future when there are mixed gender teams in sports that have hitherto been single sex then it will be player of the match.
    Am I right in thinking that at the moment, at least up to a certain age, you can already have mixed gender teams in Association Football?
    Contemplating probably the most boring sport of all, Synchronised Swimming, recent news is that mens teams will be allowed to compete in top international tournaments, why especially?
    There are mixed Horse Riding teams (not keen on that sport myself) but why not have mixed Curling, or Bowls or whatever?
    @seth plum  Synchronised Swimming is brilliant lol
  • Options
    What difference does it make
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    @seth plum  Synchronised Swimming is brilliant lol
    We’ve just started a group here in Baltimore.
    Its blooming hard work I tell ya!