Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man of the Match term now discarded?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe it is good to do Synchronised Swimming, but I find it boring to watch.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Not really relevant but in women's football, man can sometimes be gender neutral eg when playing "man on". 

In Woman's football, Jill Scott the retired England Euro winner and 'Queen of the Jungle' said "man on" is still said as it's the quickest way to announce an opposition player is nearby.

"She on" has a different meaning.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    seth plum said:

If you see it as an art form and not sport Seth, you would see the ethereal qualities.

The peg on the nose can spoil for some !

Seeing Dolphins doing synchronised swimming in Weymouth and Portland is a visual delight.

No ideal of the gender of Dolphins taking part but pleased they didn't have pegs on their nose.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    cafc999 said:
    Watched Dartford Women's play a few weeks ago and every player on the pitch used the term "Man on". 1st World problem 

I refer you to my answer to Redman.
    It's quick to say and agree, you hear it said at woman's and girls matches at all levels.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    This is hilarious. Peak CL. When TS wanted to change the name of the female team, anyone daring to ask why it mattered got pelters. Now someone starts a thread asking a perfectly reasonable question, which as far as I can see hasn’t been answered yet (mixed gender teams are decades away) and it’s full of “so what?” responses.
    What if there's a player on our team that describes themselves as Non Binary and use they/them pronouns? Should they be subjected to being called Man Of The Match when they don't identify directly as a Man?

It's closer than some of you boomers think
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    seth plum said:
    @seth plum right I am digging out some  speedos and we can give it a go in
    one of the rain filled potholes 
  • Options
    One step away from MVP for each game instead!!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    cafc999 said:
    Watched Dartford Women's play a few weeks ago and every player on the pitch used the term "Man on". 1st World problem 

I refer you to my answer to Redman.
    It's quick to say and agree, you hear it said at woman's and girls matches at all levels.
    Man of the match, player of the match, MVP, etc, etc. Who really cares?

1st World problem. 
  • Options
    Well we don't call it "man of the season" do we? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Player of the match is as accurate description of the title as man of the match so I don't care. Having said that, home player of the match is probably the most accurate term in most cases unless decided on by a neutral. It doesn't really bother me in the slightest. 
  • Options
    Does it really matter? 
  • Options
    Maybe take it up at the next Man Of The Year dinner 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    This is hilarious. Peak CL. When TS wanted to change the name of the female team, anyone daring to ask why it mattered got pelters. Now someone starts a thread asking a perfectly reasonable question, which as far as I can see hasn’t been answered yet (mixed gender teams are decades away) and it’s full of “so what?” responses.
    The actual women’s team were against it. 

Has Lucas Ness indicated his unhappiness with his award?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    What if there's a player on our team that describes themselves as Non Binary and use they/them pronouns? Should they be subjected to being called Man Of The Match when they don't identify directly as a Man?

"Subjected to" 😆😆😆
  • Options
    or just compromise. I will still use the term man or woman player of the match in single sex games those that feel uncomfortable doing so can use the term player of the match. So the abreviation can be  M/P O T M.
  • Options
    Go back to the Bristol Rovers match and the team solved this problem by all being so bad none of them deserved the title!

Happy enough with "Player of the Match", don't really see how it's going to change any lives for the worse. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The word ‘woke’ means anti racist.
    To be anti woke is to be pro racism.
    The truth is there is no fixed definition of the word woke, to some like me being called woke is a compliment, to others being called woke is an insult.
    I think if we were to be accurate  about this we would need to say that in its original definition the word "woke" meant anti -racist back in the 1930's and related most specifically to racism against African - American people. I don't think it reasonable to say that's how the word is defined in 2023 Britain by many people. Its pejorative meaning perhaps could be described as "woke"- meaning people who define most things through the lens of identity politics.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The way out of this is to stick with ‘Man of the Match’ but for women’s football have ‘Man of the Match (female)’. Essentially what the Golden Ball people did with their award.
  • Options
    Wouldn't ‘Person of The Match’ cover all bases.
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    seth plum said:
    The word ‘woke’ means anti racist.
    To be anti woke is to be pro racism.
    The truth is there is no fixed definition of the word woke, to some like me being called woke is a compliment, to others being called woke is an insult.
    I think if we were to be accurate  about this we would need to say that in its original definition the word "woke" meant anti -racist back in the 1930's and related most specifically to racism against African - American people. I don't think it reasonable to say that's how the word is defined in 2023 Britain by many people. Its pejorative meaning perhaps could be described as "woke"- meaning people who define most things through the lens of identity politics.  
    This thread is about the use of language, and we know some definitions can be organic and change over time.
    That is the discussion regarding ‘woke’. Unless there was some kind of survey or whatever as to what people mean by the term nowadays it is fluid.
  • Options
    Man, this thread is hilarious.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Only if the recipient of the accolade identified as a 'Person'.

I think 'Organism of The Match' gets us closer to where we need to be.
  • Options
    Only if the recipient of the accolade identified as a 'Person'.

I think 'Organism of The Match' gets us closer to where we need to be.
    Orgasm of The Match 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    JaShea99 said:

What if there's a player on your men's team that describes themselves as Non Binary and use they/them pronouns? Should they be subjected to being referred to as playing for the men's team?

What if there's a player on your women's team that describes themselves as Non Binary and use they/them pronouns? Should they be subjected to being referred to as playing for the women's team?