Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Interesting comments from Sandy Thomson, trainer of Hill Sixteen. Blames the delay to the race for the sad demise of his horse due to him becoming “over-hyper and not taking off at the first fence”. 
    I think he’s in a better position to comment than some posters on a football forum who know bugger all about a topic, but assume expert status by jumping on the latest bandwagon to hit town.
    I would say the fence itself, and forcing a horse to jump over it, led to its demise. 

But then again I don't make a living exclusively from the sport so who am I to know. 
  • Options
    I believe 3 horses have died this week. I don't object to horse racing per se, but when horses are still dying, there needs to be more done to prevent this from happening.

23 horses didn't finish the race, either having fallen, unseated their rider or pulled up, so it's hardly a safe race.
    Which shows your ignorance on the subject. It’s not “unsafe” to pull up a horse, it’s the exact opposite.
     A jockey pulls a horse up for one of a variety of reasons.  Would you rather a jockey continue riding the horse instead of stopping them ?
    In fact, what knowledge or expertise do you have on horseracing or the care of horses at a racing stable ?
  • Options
    I believe 3 horses have died this week. I don't object to horse racing per se, but when horses are still dying, there needs to be more done to prevent this from happening.

23 horses didn't finish the race, either having fallen, unseated their rider or pulled up, so it's hardly a safe race.
    Horses occasionally die running around a field/paddock. How should we prevent this from happening?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Interesting comments from Sandy Thomson, trainer of Hill Sixteen. Blames the delay to the race for the sad demise of his horse due to him becoming “over-hyper and not taking off at the first fence”. 
    I think he’s in a better position to comment than some posters on a football forum who know bugger all about a topic, but assume expert status by jumping on the latest bandwagon to hit town.
    I would say the fence itself, and forcing a horse to jump over it, led to its demise. 

But then again I don't make a living exclusively from the sport so who am I to know. 
    And what led to that. These are highly trained animals of habit. If something disrupts their process then inevitably things can happen. That’s not the definite reason but it can’t help can it. Of course that raises the question should they have run but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    Make the race safer for the good of the horses, not a spectacle for humans. 
    They have, massively over the last few years. But they’re animals, unpredictable. 

Have you looked into the actual facts and information regarding the safety?
    Still not safe enough to prevent horses dying, the facts are that 3 have died this week.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Make the race safer for the good of the horses, not a spectacle for humans. 
    They have, massively over the last few years. But they’re animals, unpredictable. 

Have you looked into the actual facts and information regarding the safety?
    Still not safe enough to prevent horses dying, the facts are that 3 have died this week.
    You still haven’t answered my question 

thank you for playing along.
  • Options

Which shows your ignorance on the subject. It’s not “unsafe” to pull up a horse, it’s the exact opposite.
     A jockey pulls a horse up for one of a variety of reasons.  Would you rather a jockey continue riding the horse instead of stopping them ?
    In fact, what knowledge or expertise do you have on horseracing or the care of horses at a racing stable ?
    I have no knowledge other than seeing horses dying in a race for the benefit of humans. 

If the horse is pulled up then perhaps it shouldn't be taking part in that race.

I don't like to see animals dying in the name of sport.

• Options

I have no knowledge other than seeing horses dying in a race for the benefit of humans. 

If the horse is pulled up then perhaps it shouldn't be taking part in that race.

If a horse is pulled up it shouldn’t be taking part in that race ? You are absolutely clueless. Stick to Covid 19.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just say you know nothing about the subject and move along.
    Horse racing is not something that interests me, but the welfare of the animals taking part does and it's clear that something needs to be done to make it safer.

Unfortunately protests are sometimes the only way to effect change.

• Options

Horse racing is not something that interests me, but the welfare of the animals taking part does and it's clear that something needs to be done to make it safer.

Except in the case of the Grand National, protests haven’t been needed to effect change. Changes have been made over the past decade without the need for a ton of Tarquin’s to invade the event.
  • Options
    What if the horses wore masks?
  • Options

As I said, I think the trainer is a tad more qualified to comment than people on this site.
  • Options

Except in the case of the Grand National, protests haven’t been needed to effect change. Changes have been made over the past decade without the need for a ton of Tarquin’s to invade the event.
    Horses are still dying.
  • Options
    On a serious but different point, has anyone had any news about the jockeys that fell or were unseated? I understand one of the screens put up on the course was for dignity reasons for a jokey receiving medical attention.

And yes I know, they choose to ride in the race, but like with any injured sportsperson, it’s nice to hear if they are ok.
  • Options

Horses are still dying.
    You’re actually a WUM
  • Options
    Racing Post comments that Mr Incredible’s UR some way after 2nd Canal Turn appeared to be caused by the saddle slipping.
    That would figure, seeing the overhead replay.
  • Options
    On a serious but different point, has anyone had any news about the jockeys that fell or were unseated? I understand one of the screens put up on the course was for dignity reasons for a jokey receiving medical attention.

And yes I know, they choose to ride in the race, but like with any injured sportsperson, it’s nice to hear if they are ok.
    The Big Breakaway jockey took a massive hit, perhaps he should have been PU 🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's really needed is greater advances in house fracture repair.
  • Options
    Let’s park this one for the evening. Late Saturday night is never the right time for these type of discussions 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Sadly I’m not sure anything will ever come of discussing the validity of this race on here, we’ve walked this path now many times over the years. 

I think genuinely at its heart, both sides want the same thing, the best for the horses, but it’s impossible for either side to see or appreciate the opposing view of what’s perceived as ‘best.’ Then people get defensive and aggressive and no further meaningful debate is possible.

personally I hope the race’s continues as a huge event,  but also that the authorities, like they have done, keep pushing for safer outcomes to continue to reduce the amount of deaths experienced. Like they are in rugby to reduce major injuries.

If you are anti this race and horse racing in general, I do appreciate it’s a weighted ask, but so many of us enjoy this thread and discussion in the build up to and anticipation of what is one of the biggest sporting events of the year. And then the post race analysis. Please let us have that. And appreciate that many of the main contributors on this thread care dearly about horse welfare. There’s loads of other platforms where you can engage in discussion  of the aspects of this race which won’t then descend into argument that are probably better suited.

thanks all 
  • Options
    @PeanutsMolloy any obvious first thoughts on what bucked the model yesterday?
  • Options
    What is needed for this race is about 28 horses less and lower fences and maybe max 4 miles long I hate watching this race.
  • Options
    What's really needed is greater advances in house fracture repair.
    Think sudsidence can be rectified.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    What is needed for this race is about 28 horses less and lower fences and maybe max 4 miles long I hate watching this race.
    What you have done is make 3 practical suggestions, plus a valid personal perspective.
    All very reasonable, so in that context it is not reasonable for you to be abused for writing what you have written.

I think they said on the wireless that three horses died in the Grand National yesterday, I thought it was one. 
    When looking at the online newspaper reports the Mail on Sunday suggests the disruption was caused by vegans. How would they know?