Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Penney (a left back!!!) signs on loan from Ipswich Town

Comments

• Options
    Rumours on the other site we are under a transfer embargo. Seriously when will it end?
    Is there any reason to believe that given we've signed three players in the last week and a half, and let two leave in roughly the same time frame?

I can't remember if embargoes only apply to paying fees to bring players in.

Either way, this feels like an internet rumor, nothing more at this point. 
  • Options
    In for a Penney, in for a … 

Good feeling about this one! :)
  • Options
    110 divided by 7 times by 2…

”Delighted with the move and looking forward to playing in front of the fans at the Valley. I’ll be giving 31.4% for the shirt.”
  • Options

Dean Holden has detailed his delight after completing the loan signing of Matt Penney from Ipswich Town.

The versatile full-back, who becomes the Addicks' third signing of the January transfer window, spent the first half of the 2022/23 campaign on loan in the Scottish Premiership with Motherwell, where he made 18 consecutive starts and claimed two Player of the Month awards.

"I'm really pleased we've been able to sign Matt," said the Manager. "He is a left-back who is solid defensively and good going forward. 

"Matt joins us after playing games regularly in the top flight in Scotland and, like our other signings, is hungry to come in and show what he can do. 

"I liked that he has spent time on loan at St Pauli in the second tier in Germany," he added. "St Pauli are a proper club with a loud and passionate fanbase. Going there, outside of his comfort zone, he'll have played in pressurised environments, which will be valuable experience for his time with us. 

"I've spoken since I joined about using January to give our squad more balance and signing a naturally left-footed full-back, of Matt’s quality, was extremely important." 

The Addicks return to The Valley on Saturday, January 28th for the visit of Bolton Wanderers (12.30pm KO GMT). Click here to purchase your tickets.

• Options
    I think he’s a sterling signing. 
  • Options
    danny777 said:
    He's played for St Pauli in Germany.

The last left back we had who played for them was Cory Gibbs.

Aaaargh!!
    Cory Gibbs was a Left Footed CB, not that anyone here would know... 
  • Options
    “Top flight in Scotland”

So he has league two experience then.

Welcome Matt, I hope it works out for you 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pleased
  • Options
    Trying to think of a Pasta pun but I've been up for nearly 19 hours due to an early start and cancelled Eurostar ski train back from the alps. So someone please help me out. 

Welcome Matt
    How tall is he? Does he pasta height test?
  • Options
    Welcome Matt your sorely needed.
    let’s hope your hamstrings are stronger than our last two left backs!
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Trying to think of a Pasta pun but I've been up for nearly 19 hours due to an early start and cancelled Eurostar ski train back from the alps. So someone please help me out. 

Welcome Matt
    How tall is he? Does he pasta height test?
    Yesss. Brightened my day as I finally settle into bed after being awake for more than 20 hours mostly spent on trains or in stations. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    “Top flight in Scotland”

So he has league two experience then.

Welcome Matt, I hope it works out for you 
    Ipswich payback for us taking Herman Hreidarsson, Matt Holland , Darren Bent … here you go have this crock of guff Charlton 
    Always look on the bright side of life…
    He may not be the messiah, but he is a left footed full back 👍
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Decent signing, get Sess over to right back and if the Penney drops with Matt he could be our left back for the next couple of years 

That would make a change after the last decade.
    You do know this is the cursed position for Cafc, even before Wiggins and Page got crocked. Can he play some games before we go OTT.

I wish Matt Penney luck as he will need it.
    I can stop doing my Left footed Left back mantra now. (Hopefully 🤞)
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Rumours on the other site we are under a transfer embargo. Seriously when will it end?
    The EFL now publish who is under an embargo....so we would know about it if true. 
  • Options
    Decent signing, get Sess over to right back and if the Penney drops with Matt he could be our left back for the next couple of years 

That would make a change after the last decade.
    You do know this is the cursed position for Cafc, even before Wiggins and Page got crocked. Can he play some games before we go OTT.

I wish Matt Penney luck as he will need it.
    I can stop doing my Left footed Left back mantra now. (Hopefully 🤞)
    Chill out it was a joke 
  • Options
    Crickey, have we won Euromilllions?
    We'll probably play him on the right...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am happy we have got a 'steady Eddie' type left back and look forward to seeing Sess on his natural right side. In some ways I would still like another naturally left footed player to ensure competition. But I guess beggars can't be choosers.

He played in Town's 4-0 demolition of us on the last day of the season and they brought in both Davis and Greg Leigh in the summer. I am hoping like George Dobson being ditched by Sunderland that this will be a fresh start for him 
  • Options
    Ben Purrngton in all but name.

That will do. 
  • Options
    Sounds like he should fit quite well with Holden's ethos of doing the basics but doing them well. Probably not as attacking as Sessegnon (or Edun) but a solid choice who can do the job and fits into the team.

Not seen him play but a good reputation so I'm cautiously optimistic.
  • Options
    Never sure when a team in the same league as you (Premier big guns aside) is happy to let a player go out on loan to a "rival". 

Prove my fears unfounded Matt. 
  • Options
    Ben Purrngton in all but name.

That will do. 
    Wasn’t he described as attacking ? 
  • Options
    Sounds like a left sided Sean Clare!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    limeygent said:
    Crickey, have we won Euromilllions?
    We'll probably play him on the right...

Things said in jest !
    Lee Tinker Man Bowyer played both Alfie Doughty and Ruud Van Maatsen on the right at times. Despite Maatsen scoring early doors when played on the right wing it was a disaster really as it just negated his speed. Iain Maatsen has matured and is playing well on the left at Burnley. 

Alfie when playing on his wrong side steamed down the right wing and because he had no right foot put in a poor cross, no where near the Charlton forwards. Bizarrely the opposition defender picked his spot and scored a classy own goal.
  • Options
    Hope there's no clause in the loan saying we can't play him when we meet Ipswich in the play-off final!
    He won't be able to play against his parent club presumably. If Ipswich end up in the playoffs I can see them crashing in the semis anyway
    Are you thinking we will make the top six?