Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Penney (a left back!!!) signs on loan from Ipswich Town

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    A very very inauspicious debut it must be said….hope he up’s his game……and pronto.
    Good luck fella, I hope you have a lot more to offer.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Who was the guy we had on loan for a couple of games the year we won league 1 when Wiggins (the last decent permanent left back we had IMHO) was injured?  He was laughably bad. Butterworth or something like that. I remember him taking a throw in and failing to reach the pitch with it. Penney is threatening to be remembered in the same way. It shows how lamentably bad we have been at left back in recent times that we are beginning to remember fondly the lines of Fox and Purrington (both good honest triers but pretty terrible footballers). 
  • Options
    Anybody old enough to watch Sweaty Balmer’s home debut at that stripey sh*t hole all those years back. Own goal and a really poor game - remembering thinking who the fcuk is this. He settled into a very reliable and half decent centre half for us. Must be something in this lad, hopefully just needs to settle a bit. Certainly won’t need any of our fans’ negativity thrown at him. If he turns out consistently toilet, blame the owners not the player. Black box still playing up in that case…
    Funny you should say that because Balmer was exactly the example I thought of too.

Mind you, for every Balmer there have been dozens who started off shite and just got worse, but I still think writing the bloke off after less than two games is a bit much, even by our standards.
  • Options
    Mark Aizelwood was another ...... poor/indifferent then ended up being star player and skippering us to promotion.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    This poor fella. Not played two games yet at a new club and already completely written (and c****d) off.

Modern football fans, eh.
    Written off or people just highlighting how bad he's been so far? I'm sure most will be happy to be proven wrong but have to comment on the evidence shown so far. 
  • Options
    Who was the guy we had on loan for a couple of games the year we won league 1 when Wiggins (the last decent permanent left back we had IMHO) was injured?  He was laughably bad. Butterworth or something like that. I remember him taking a throw in and failing to reach the pitch with it. Penney is threatening to be remembered in the same way. It shows how lamentably bad we have been at left back in recent times that we are beginning to remember fondly the lines of Fox and Purrington (both good honest triers but pretty terrible footballers). 
    Dan Seabourne? Was the championship season after. Wasn’t he a centre back filling in at left back? 
  • Options
    I just noticed this 

• Options
    Off_it said:
    That's not helpful to anyone, is it?
    Nor is he
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Nor is he
    For someone who's very quick to see themselves as a victim and complain that they get bullied, maybe you should practice what you preach a bit? 
  • Options
    "Work together to stop him".. surely there are better causes in the world..

I actually think he'll turn out alright. Too many of our supporters do not support.
  • Options
    I just noticed this 

That page was edited at 13:06. As you posted it on here 3 mins later, I assume you meant to say you changed his page rather than "just noticed" it.

Either way, it's nowhere near being amusing.
    Diddums you didn't find it funny

Im gonna go cry now 🤣🤣.

I didn't find his display on Saturday funny either or the 2 games before that.

If I want to take my frustrations out by making a joke(which some have found funny) then thats my business, don't like it change it back, but I really dont give s flying fuck what you think 
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said:
    Nor is he
    For someone who's very quick to see themselves as a victim and complain that they get bullied, maybe you should practice what you preach a bit? 
    First of all their is a difference between actively bullying someone and posting 1 thing on a page they will likely never see(its more likely he heard the boos on Saturday than saw that)

Secondly i didn't actually do it but @KentishAddick is convinced its impossible for a friend to have done it sent it to me and me post it on here in 3 minutes so i thought fuck it why not go along with the narrative 

So yeah as I said I really don't give a shit if you think it was me or not, I think it was funny especially after what we have witnessed so far 
  • Options
    Blimey. It's funny how you can judge people all wrongly and then you suddenly see them for what they really are.

And I'm not talking about Matt Penney.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Blimey. It's funny how you can judge people all wrongly and then you suddenly see them for what they really are.

Maybe you shouldn't be so closed minded as to judge people based on a forum.

I have no opinions on anyone on here until i meet them

But then again I'm clearly just more open minded
  • Options
    Okay, Penney has not impressed many people on here. Fair enough.
    But there's got to be more to come. 

He's a professional footballer learning his trade at then Championship Sheffield Wednesday - where he made 28 senior appearances.
    People at Sheff Weds must have thought he was a promising player or they wouldn't have given him a pro contract and later extended it.

Afterwards joining Ipswich, making another 22 appearances, where the opinion was good going forward but a bit suspect defensively.

A change of manager at Ipswich last year saw Penney lose his place, after the new manager made an expensive signing.
    Scott Fraser at Ipswich suffered a similar fate and was sold on, as we know.

This season Penney apparently had a very successful half season loan at Motherwell in the Scottish Premier League, where he was voted player of the month twice. They didn't want him to leave.

So why the inconsistancy and mistakes at Charlton? Is it the way we play, where our full backs get doubled up on and often exposed because our wingers don't always track back, especially CBT.

From what I've seen there's a useful player there, certainly for our level. 

• Options
    So far he's just been really hesitant above all. Seems to second guess himself every time 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just noticed this 

That page was edited at 13:06. As you posted it on here 3 mins later, I assume you meant to say you changed his page rather than "just noticed" it.

Either way, it's nowhere near being amusing.
    Diddums you didn't find it funny

Im gonna go cry now 🤣🤣.

I didn't find his display on Saturday funny either or the 2 games before that.

If I want to take my frustrations out by making a joke(which some have found funny) then thats my business, don't like it change it back, but I really dont give s flying fuck what you think 

1: self praise is no recommendation
    2: and this is obvious bullshit
  • Options
    I'm still honestly baffled that people are this worked up about a short-term loanee who probably won't be here in a few months anyway.

He's really not so bad as to deserve the "joke" edit nor is he likely to be good enough or around long enough that anyone will remember this next month.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said:
    Nor is he
    First of all their is a difference between actively bullying someone and posting 1 thing on a page they will likely never see(its more likely he heard the boos on Saturday than saw that)

Secondly i didn't actually do it but @KentishAddick is convinced its impossible for a friend to have done it sent it to me and me post it on here in 3 minutes so i thought fuck it why not go along with the narrativ toe 

So yeah as I said I really don't give a shit if you think it was me or not, I think it was funny especially after what we have witnessed so far 
    You mean the difference is whether you're on the receiving end or dishing it out? You see Paulie, the problem with being a professional victim is that you just end up showing yourself up as a hypocrite as well. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    This poor fella. Not played two games yet at a new club and already completely written (and c****d) off.

Slow starts are fundamentally not allowed in the modern game. No denying Penney has had a poor first few games, but you wonder what would've happened to people like Luke Young, John Robinson, and Stuart Balmer, all of whom did not have stellar starts to their Charlton careers but went on to be very good players, if they'd played in the age of social media and hyper impatience.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Slow starts are fundamentally not allowed in the modern game. No denying Penney has had a poor first few games, but you wonder what would've happened to people like Luke Young, John Robinson, and Stuart Balmer, all of whom did not have stellar starts to their Charlton careers but went on to be very good players, if they'd played in the age of social media and hyper impatience.
    Or how someone like Simon Francis would have done had he been playing in the 90s under Curbs.
  • Options
    All players make mistakes but I'll never understand how laying into them is going to help them improve. I really want this lad to have a storming game now next time he plays. 
  • Options
    Dan Seabourne? Was the championship season after. Wasn’t he a centre back filling in at left back? 
    That’s the one. Cheers. He was absolutely hopeless. Raised a few laughs of pity from the East stand. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Absolutely fucking hilarious. Post of the year. Well played!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

• Options
    Danny Butterfield