Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD; Charlton Athletic V Bolton Wanderers | Saturday 28th January 2023 | KO 12.30pm

Comments

• Options
    Felt we played pretty much the same as we did in recent victories, just this time we were playing a good team playing well. Bit of a reality check for anyone who thinks we could make a playoff charge as the difference in quality was significant.

I was pretty happy when I saw Bonne was starting as I thought the only chance we had was to stretch the defence with a quick front 3, but he just got dominated by probably the best centre back in the league. If the tactic was to play direct, why not start Leaburn? 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Bonne showed why he couldn’t make it in the champiosship….shouldn’t start…..Leaburn would have been better 
    I thought Bonne did well. Didn’t get much service today but chased everything and worked hard 
     Yeah but some people don't like him so we have to agree with their view...
  • Options
    Every single decision made from now on should be made with the intention of us finishing top 6 next season. Got 19 matches to decide which players are good enough to be involved.

We were higher in the division than Bolton this time 12 months ago. Painful to see how far apart we are with them now. Hard to see them not being favourites come the start of next season if they don’t win play offs.
  • Options
    Better team definitely won.
    Much better second half, we seemed a bit stunned by them in the first.
    A silly gift gave them the winner.

It just shows exactly where we are.
     I just hope Holden stays, I really do. I’m prepared for my heart to be broken again.

I’m struggling to see why on earth Bolton have signed Jerome though 😳🫣🤷‍♀️🤣🤣
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Good game.
    Bolton were better so it was a dreadful result for us.
    Still not clear of relegation.
    We weren’t humiliated so that’s a bonus.
  • Options
    We are definitely trying under Holden but there’s a real gulf in class to the top teams in the league. I thought Penney looked very poor so we have to hope he improves. Thought subs were too late and can only assume Sess is injured still. 
    A horrible team Bolton and I hope they don’t go up. What I’d give for the likes of Adeboyega or Charles in our team. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Predictable.

Better than us on and off the pitch.

Don't feel too bad about this one. We are where we are, anyone talking play offs is on some strong meds...

Takeover?  Take on, more like.
  • Options
    Every single decision made from now on should be made with the intention of us finishing top 6 next season. Got 19 matches to decide which players are good enough to be involved.

We were higher in the division than Bolton this time 12 months ago. Painful to see how far apart we are with them now. Hard to see them not being favourites come the start of next season if they don’t win play offs.
    It's not going to be a very long list.

Good enough to start: AMB, Wollacott, O'Connell, Ness, Egbo, Dobson, Fraser, CBT, Leaburn.

Keep as squad players: Inniss, Morgan, Clare
  • Options
    Totally outclassed. Any suggestion of playoffs can be put to bed. Fair play for staying in the game but Bolton had so much quality in the final third, popping it about, we are miles away from doing that. Mid table mediocracy it is. 
    Spot on.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    We lost,...ok
    Thing is we gave it a real go second half, and if JRS had got some real contact on his chance on the six yard line, we could have gone on to at least draw if not win the game, we weren't brave enough first half that was clear enough, anyway, Bolton are there and into the playoffs, we are trying to climb the table, Exeter next week and we go again.
    One thing is I am really impressed with Dean and another good post match interview where he is clearly unhappy, but doesn't pick players out to slag off, he is like the rest of us waiting for the takeover, if it is to happen, to bring some much needed stability  into the club..God we need that and deserve it certainly..
  • Options

I’m struggling to see why on earth Bolton have signed Jerome though 😳🫣🤷‍♀️🤣🤣
    Option off the bench.

Today we just had 2 fit strikers. That strategy wont get you promoted. 
  • Options
    We definitely need to tighten up. Bolton had 24 shots today, and in the last game (despite us winning), Barnsley had 23 shots and 11 corners to 0.

If you're giving up 47 shots in 2 home games, you're generally going to struggle.

O'Connell needs to come back in and I'd probably start Sess instead of Clare.
    Yeah, the fact we've not been able to field two full-strength full-backs this season other than a couple of blessed games of Sess and Egbo has been maybe even more frustrating than our striker situation 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    To make the play offs, we have to be better than Bolton.

We're not. The lads tried but we just aren't good enough.

No complaints with the players. The owner and how the club operates, yes. The manager is getting an honest shift from a slightly better than average League 1 side.
    You think Bolton are only the 6th best team in this division? 
    The slightly scary thing is that they're probably the 5th best team in the division, with just Plymouth, Wednesday, Ipswich and Derby ahead of them 

If we're to make the playoffs, which is unlikely I'd admit, 6th is the only place to target.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:

No complaints with the players. The owner and how the club operates, yes. The manager is getting an honest shift from a slightly better than average League 1 side.
    The slightly scary thing is that they're probably the 5th best team in the division, with just Plymouth, Wednesday, Ipswich and Derby ahead of them 

If we're to make the playoffs, which is unlikely I'd admit, 6th is the only place to target.
    Plymouth might be where they are but how - HOW - are they better than Bolton. You can't convince me it's not the falsest position of all time. Offence to Plymouth and their fans intended 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pissed of with the standard of the officials at this level every bloody week .. there first goal was a joke never a free kick overall our performance was again pretty good we battled well and again Saki misses a great chance how many points as he cost us ?
    Then one error and it’s 1-2  from nothing , but we deserved a share of the points today .. 
    we were getting overrun in mid especially first half our 3 up against 5 made it very difficult down the flanks at times Clare had 3 men around him ..really surprised at ht we did not match up and go 352 .. which we did finally in the second half .
    Typical Bolton game like over previous years always pushing the rules , fouls and time wasting …. The keeper gets warned on 61 mins for time wasting .. then continues to get warned all the way up to 95 mins when he gets booked .. trouble is the officials fell for their tactics .
    Well done to the boys .. real battle gave everything  .
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:

Plymouth might be where they are but how - HOW - are they better than Bolton. You can't convince me it's not the falsest position of all time. Offence to Plymouth and their fans intended 
    Plymouth are evidence that you dont need to the best group of players in the League... You need have the best squad both on and off the pitch
  • Options
    Yes there were individual errors, but something seriously wrong with the team to allow Bolton that much space and that many shots.

433 with 2 attacking wide players who aren't good defensively does leave your defence vulnerable down the flanks, plus our defending as a team seemed quite passive, letting their attackers have far too much time to pass the ball forward. Then Inniss had a rick which cost a goal, while Ness had a rick which Inniss covered...

And up front I thought Bonne did ok, but him CBT and JRS didn't seem on the same wavelength. Ditto Bonne and Leaburn when he came on 

Plenty of work for Dean this week.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Leuth said:
    We definitely need to tighten up. Bolton had 24 shots today, and in the last game (despite us winning), Barnsley had 23 shots and 11 corners to 0.

If you're giving up 47 shots in 2 home games, you're generally going to struggle.

O'Connell needs to come back in and I'd probably start Sess instead of Clare.
    Yeah, the fact we've not been able to field two full-strength full-backs this season other than a couple of blessed games of Sess and Egbo has been maybe even more frustrating than our striker situation 
    Spot on, people always talk about strikers but we haven't actually struggled to score goals. As it stands with the current games going on, we're the 6th highest scorers in the division. Only the top 3, Peterborough and Bristol Rovers have scored more.

The defence is our issue and the lack of 2 decent attacking full backs playing together consistently has killed us. You only need to look at how Chelsea struggle without Chilwell and James to see how vital having good full backs are to a side. Possibly 2 of the most important positions in a team. Sess and Egbo fit all season, you'd have seen a different Charlton i'm sure.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Valley11 said:
    Holden has done well to make us semi competitive. But it’s the same old same old.
    Until the club is on a solid footing behind the scenes the team will forever feel less than solid. 
    Agree.  First one I’ve been able to watch for a while as not going to the games at the moment and as this was on Sky, went to my local to watch it.

Bolton were the better team.  For me, they looked a solid outfit and are up there for a reason.  

Holden has done well since he’s been here and I think he’s steadied the ship.  We don’t know if that will last, but in the first instance, I think he’s more clued up than Garner from what I’ve seen.

The positives for me is that neither Stockley or Kirk were on the bench today, which would suggest he’s worked out they’re not good enough and there’s no future here for them.

The reality is as you say, the club needs to be on a solid footing to progress, or by some stroke of luck, Holden needs to be able to replicate what Bowyer did to get us up in 18/19, which against a backdrop of uncertainty is going to be a challenge 

Despite Morgan’s goal, we need better than him, CBT, Payne, Inniss if we’re to get out of this league.  Until we have an improvement on those types of players, we’re in league one for a while yet 
    Disagree about CBT, but otherwise 👍
  • Options
    Outclassed today - 2-1 flattered us.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

It's not going to be a very long list.

Good enough to start: AMB, Wollacott, O'Connell, Ness, Egbo, Dobson, Fraser, CBT, Leaburn.

Keep as squad players: Inniss, Morgan, Clare
    Would probably say even that list is too long. We're miles off a playoff side and we have to be ruthless 
  • Options
    Bolton were the best team seen down at The Valley this season. That match would not have looked out of place in The Championship. Fine margins but we are not good enough yet. The pitch is not helping us - looked ok at kickoff but quickly showed that it’s not that good.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:

Momentum, team work, every player knowing their role etc all go a long way.

You wouldn't say that Newcastle are a better team than Man Utd or Liverpool but if a side is that well drilled and get on a roll, they can be very hard to stop. 

They looked awful at the Valley but 18 wins in 28 and top as we go into February, their position can't be that false. They're there for a reason.