Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD; Charlton Athletic V Bolton Wanderers | Saturday 28th January 2023 | KO 12.30pm

Comments

• Options
    The league table does not lie 
  • Options
    2nd best all over the pitch

strangest part of the day, sitting in the North Upper and my Flashscore app pings goal Bolton…1-2…..I show my mate and we carry on watching, they attack down the right and less than 60 seconds after the ping, they score.

f**king freaky 
    The TV coverage was probabaly ahead of the match...  ;):D  
    Was strange, whenever I watch it on TV we joke that the app pings about a minute before the TV catches up….never expected to experience it live!
  • Options
    What stood out for me was the difference in defending between the two team, they looks so much more compact and in a solid shape 
  • Options
    Ryan Inniss unfortunately made the two mistakes which led to goals against Bristol Rovers so wasn't in credit despite looking decent in League 1 and playing more games than for about 5 seasons.

Give Inniss credit for helping Ness who attempted a shocking back pass in the 2nd half.

This is Ryan's level as proven when Charles a potential championship player ran at him and turned him inside out in the 1st half before being rescued by AMB; if only Maynard-Brewer had stayed on line until the ball reached Charles in the 2nd half and then go charging forward after the poor header from Inniss he may have rescued him again. TBF to AMB he is well in credit.
  • Options
    Bolton were no different to Barnsley and Derby at home this season. The difference Bolton knew where the back of the next was
  • Options
    Bolton were the best team seen down at The Valley this season. That match would not have looked out of place in The Championship. Fine margins but we are not good enough yet. The pitch is not helping us - looked ok at kickoff but quickly showed that it’s not that good.
    Agree about the pitch being crap but think its helped get us closer to Barnsley and Bolton. Both better teams than us. Nothing wrong with our effort but we are about 8 good players away from being a top League One team. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its been so bad this season, that I almost feel happy that at least under Holden we are competing. Really has been a tough watch.

We still have Wednesday to visit the Valley, but Bolton were the best team I've seen to date. They make the play offs they win  them.
  • Options
    Thought Henry should have come on for Morgan about 55 mins.

The Campbell and Leaburn introductions seemed to make us weaker (shame...like them both).

I liked Bonne; won stacks of headers and battled away but they were just too strong and the service was so poor...EG Fraser 1st half, left side penalty area....Bonne pulled back to a perfect unmarked position but Fraser went across 6 yard and keeper claimed. Bonne was also involved in our goal. 

Bolton were good and we weren't at their level. 
  • Options
    Fair result but wasn't a cakewalk for Bolton. We played well overall but the same old story of individual players just not being up to it.   

We had some chances for sure but Bolton had the better of them, the ref...fing terrible. Just think if we had a better ref it could've been 3-4 😉

Simply, they had better players and I think someone said they've only spent minimal fees since their resurgence? It doesn't matter how many times they've been declared the best playmaker in league one or how long the transfer saga drags out for, or, the fee, smarter, better recruitment is the key.
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Struggle to see the thinking behind our new scorer being on the bench.

Then, to come on with just 15 mins left was even more baffling.
    Surely Leaburn was benched because he is subject to transfer interest that Holden must have thought may distract him.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Stig said:
    Strangely I felt disappointed with the result but happy with the scoreline, because they could have put four or five past us. We put in a lot of effort, but football wise we were a long way short of Bolton. Our passing isn't always what it should be, our decision making often poor,  we struggled to get into good scoring positions and our defenders don't always recover quickly enough. Despite all those things, the number one training session for next week has to be to teach Macauley Bonne about the off side law. Next up, explain to Blackett-Taylor that he is allowed to pass. I thought Maynard-Brewer was our man of the match, that's rarely a good sign. Of the outfield players, I thought Rak Sakyi was the cream of the crop though I wish he'd give Simon Church those sponge-foot boots back. For all your skills Jesurun, sometimes you just have to put your foot through the ball. 
    And for his teammates to pass the ball forward faster, so that his "on the shoulder" runs beat the offside trap

Might also be nice if some of the officials also learnt the offside rule, terrible decisions made today...once for Bonne, but also fortunately nothing came from an offside not given against Jerome...
  • Options
    Just seen the goals back that blatent cheating by the Bolton bloke for the free kick was not touched by Ness and there second goal .. what was AMB doing why was he out so far not sure Inniss is totally to blame ??
  • Options
    Bolton looked bigger ,stronger, quicker than us for most of the game although can't fault our players for effort. Until we get proper ownership and management we will be mid table mediocrity..its a shame because AMB,Ness,Leaburn,Campbell ,Henry deserve better 
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:

Surely Leaburn was benched because he is subject to transfer interest that Holden must have thought may distract him.
    Addick_8 said:

No he was not down to play at Peterbro as well purely taking the workload of his shoulders 
  • Options
    Just seen the goals back that blatent cheating by the Bolton bloke for the free kick was not touched by Ness and there second goal .. what was AMB doing why was he out so far not sure Inniss is totally to blame ??
    I think Innis is completely to blame because it was his shit header that put it on a plate for their bloke. 

Clare HAD to come across, otherwise the bloke gets a free shot. AMB compounded the problem by rushing out, but it all came about because of Innis' shit header - if he heads that away there's no problem.

Shame really as he'd been playing alright. But unfortunately we all know there's a dog shit mistake in him and it's just a matter of time when the next one comes along.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reality check for anyone who was foolish enough to believe we are now a playoff challenger. Bolton much much better than us at the business ends of the pitch. We remain decent 40 yards from either goal, but neither prevent or create enough chances to win consistently. 

I would say that we got into just as many good areas as they did but, while they excelled and finding space and picking out players with accurate clever passes, we, once again, excelled at running down dead ends and picking out defenders with our final ball.

Fraser the only one of our attacking players close to having that speed of foot and mind but even he does a nice line in passing to defenders when it really counts.

Hate digging out individuals, but I have to get it off my chest, I thought Bonne was shite and offered no more than Stockley would have done. And was moaning at his teammates almost as much as well. Doesn’t look to have evolved as a player at all in his time away. Still looks not quite fast enough, not quite strong enough, and not quite bright enough. 
    Absolutely. I fail to believe how many are giving Bonne 5s and upwards (other than RMoore who is a certified piss taker) on the player marks. He is absolutely useless. I’m coming to the conclusion that I know nothing about football despite 50 odd years of watching. I honestly despair. 
  • Options
    Started slowly and as Holden said post match gave them far too much respect. We didn’t press as we have done and we have Santos far too much room to play his Nabby Sarr style cross field balls- he hit it 6 times in first 15 mins and Claire didn’t look comfortable at all.
    Despite that first half where they did boss it we still created chances and felt like we should have scored. At the end of the first half both innis and Ness put in great blocks.

2nd half we were better but we really do need to stop giving away these stupid goals, the ability of these players to switch off is unbelievable.

They were a good side, their squad depth is something we can only aspire to. I liked the way they moved the ball around the box, their players ran into space our players only ran when they had the ball at feet 
  • Options
    Reality check for anyone who was foolish enough to believe we are now a playoff challenger. Bolton much much better than us at the business ends of the pitch. We remain decent 40 yards from either goal, but neither prevent or create enough chances to win consistently. 

I would say that we got into just as many good areas as they did but, while they excelled and finding space and picking out players with accurate clever passes, we, once again, excelled at running down dead ends and picking out defenders with our final ball.

Fraser the only one of our attacking players close to having that speed of foot and mind but even he does a nice line in passing to defenders when it really counts.

Hate digging out individuals, but I have to get it off my chest, I thought Bonne was shite and offered no more than Stockley would have done. And was moaning at his teammates almost as much as well. Doesn’t look to have evolved as a player at all in his time away. Still looks not quite fast enough, not quite strong enough, and not quite bright enough. 
    Plus he got caught offside more than he should have, no need for it….…..so no change there then.
  • Options
    Disappointing but hey ho we gave it a go! Major surprise was Bonne starting instead of Leaburn. We could/should have been 3- 0 down at halftime but fought hard to stay in the game. Main difference between the teams was Bolton being organised and calm and more or less in control and us being a bit frantic. It was more even in the second half. Then the Iniss howler and we are losing again. Glad we didn't get Jerome. Think Penney will be good and Bonne will do a job for us. 
    I'm not generally part of the Grammar police, but I think the words 'the' and 'howler' should be capitalised.   

It has become a theme or title which follows him round is and therefore deserving of more respect.  The Inniss Howler.
  • Options
    Not a bad game but we were up against a better team. Its plainly obvious we are not going anywhere in the league. Middle table team written all over 
  • Options
    - Leaburn should have come on for Bonne (not Clare)

- To me, Rak-Sakyi is still the most inspiring player in the squad 

- Two weeks without a competitive match seems to have taken its toll

- Fair result, Bolton were better, but I'm not despairing, Charlton were not a walkover
  • Options
    2nd best all over the pitch

strangest part of the day, sitting in the North Upper and my Flashscore app pings goal Bolton…1-2…..I show my mate and we carry on watching, they attack down the right and less than 60 seconds after the ping, they score.

f**king freaky 
    The TV coverage was probabaly ahead of the match...  ;):D  
    Was strange, whenever I watch it on TV we joke that the app pings about a minute before the TV catches up….never expected to experience it live!
    Was at home watching and first half it ping’d after they scored
    Then that one it ping’d early so immediately focused on the telly and it was 10-15 seconds and a goal,  me and sons all fuming turn off notifications and then ask who had rewound it but we hadn’t .
    How utterly bizarre 
    soooo random