Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD; Charlton Athletic V Bolton Wanderers | Saturday 28th January 2023 | KO 12.30pm

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    Strangely I felt disappointed with the result but happy with the scoreline, because they could have put four or five past us. We put in a lot of effort, but football wise we were a long way short of Bolton. Our passing isn't always what it should be, our decision making often poor,  we struggled to get into good scoring positions and our defenders don't always recover quickly enough. Despite all those things, the number one training session for next week has to be to teach Macauley Bonne about the off side law. Next up, explain to Blackett-Taylor that he is allowed to pass. I thought Maynard-Brewer was our man of the match, that's rarely a good sign. Of the outfield players, I thought Rak Sakyi was the cream of the crop though I wish he'd give Simon Church those sponge-foot boots back. For all your skills Jesurun, sometimes you just have to put your foot through the ball. 
    Hell I am not a Bonne fan, its meh signing. But got to say 1 of those offsides 2nd half near Curbishley stand was down to the player with the ball not playing it straight away -one touch. Instead 2 touches but Bonne has already gone and is offside. For that he has to break his run ,losing the pace and surprise element.

Agreed, it's too simplistic to just blame the player caught offside, as the striker HAS to go early to get clear of the defenders. But you need the other players to be on the same wavelength, and pass forward quickly.
    Yeah, fair comments from both of you. Let's just hope it's something they sort out between themselves pretty quickly 'cos it's not clicking at the moment.
  • Options
    Reality check for anyone who was foolish enough to believe we are now a playoff challenger. Bolton much much better than us at the business ends of the pitch. We remain decent 40 yards from either goal, but neither prevent or create enough chances to win consistently. 

I would say that we got into just as many good areas as they did but, while they excelled and finding space and picking out players with accurate clever passes, we, once again, excelled at running down dead ends and picking out defenders with our final ball.

Fraser the only one of our attacking players close to having that speed of foot and mind but even he does a nice line in passing to defenders when it really counts.

Hate digging out individuals, but I have to get it off my chest, I thought Bonne was shite and offered no more than Stockley would have done. And was moaning at his teammates almost as much as well. Doesn’t look to have evolved as a player at all in his time away. Still looks not quite fast enough, not quite strong enough, and not quite bright enough. 
    Echo all of that, especially the bit about Bonne. Thought we pulled QPR's pants down when they paid us £2m for him & nothing I've seen since has made me change my mind. 

Why oh why do we always go for the wrong player. Stockton is available yet we go for another non scoring forward. 
    Wouldn't we have to have paid a fee for Stockton?
  • Options
    Arteta. 
    We would have binned him for sure. 
  • Options
    Reality check for anyone who was foolish enough to believe we are now a playoff challenger. Bolton much much better than us at the business ends of the pitch. We remain decent 40 yards from either goal, but neither prevent or create enough chances to win consistently. 

I would say that we got into just as many good areas as they did but, while they excelled and finding space and picking out players with accurate clever passes, we, once again, excelled at running down dead ends and picking out defenders with our final ball.

Fraser the only one of our attacking players close to having that speed of foot and mind but even he does a nice line in passing to defenders when it really counts.

Hate digging out individuals, but I have to get it off my chest, I thought Bonne was shite and offered no more than Stockley would have done. And was moaning at his teammates almost as much as well. Doesn’t look to have evolved as a player at all in his time away. Still looks not quite fast enough, not quite strong enough, and not quite bright enough. 
    Echo all of that, especially the bit about Bonne. Thought we pulled QPR's pants down when they paid us £2m for him & nothing I've seen since has made me change my mind. 

Why oh why do we always go for the wrong player. Stockton is available yet we go for another non scoring forward. 
    Just the 16 appearances it took before Stockton scored his first goal this season. 22 appearances, 1,383 minutes, 2 goals, 1 assist. One of his goals was the 4th goal in a 5-1 win as well, so big contribution from Cole there. Compare him with Stockley; 24 appearances, 1,624 minutes, 2 goals, 3 assists. (One of those goals weirdly also came in a 5-1 win but at least it was the second one..)
    Be honest Golfie, if you hadn't already stuck your flag in the ground for Stockton, if you saw those stats you'd be doing your nut about us signing another non-scoring striker.
  • Options
    Golfie we don’t need your suggestions for non goalscoring strikers, our crack recruitment system is already well tuned in to securing those type of strikers .
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    It’s quite amazing how many people this forum
    think Bolton where a good team 🤣🤣🤣
    where you at the Game today ???

Their free Kick was excellent and a good set piece goal. their  second Goal was a gifted mistake by Big Ryan and overall apart from being one of the dirtiest bunch of bashers in the league,  like Charlton were poor at finishing.
    not a lot between both teams in the first half at all.
    we started the second half well and scored an excellent Goal, but sadly we’re not able to create 
    better chances in front of Goal.
    the referee as on so many occasions was fucking inept. and clueless.

unfortunately unless our “ Rock n Rock owner
    who has recently lost our Groundsman to Gillingham, invests in the required team improvements our potentially good young manager will eventually walk.

Charlton and Bolton on todays evidence will
    not be leaving League one this season.👎

I think that is unfair on Bolton. What I suppose could be argued is that they don't finish enough of the chances they make. I mean that free kick was excellent but shouldn't have been given and their other goal was down to an error. A forced error but an error all the same. Defensively they are very strong and they have just dipped into the transfer market to strengthen their attack, but yes they are a League One side and won't be without weaknesses.
          I rest my case Bolton are not a true champion team and after 24 shots or chances a free kick that was not a free kick and gifted mistake got them 3 points where it could so easily been a draw👍
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:

Their free Kick was excellent and a good set piece goal. their  second Goal was a gifted mistake by Big Ryan and overall apart from being one of the dirtiest bunch of bashers in the league,  like Charlton were poor at finishing.
    we started the second half well and scored an excellent Goal, but sadly we’re not able to create 

who has recently lost our Groundsman to Gillingham, invests in the required team improvements our potentially good young manager will eventually walk.

I suppose you can think Bolton weren't great if you look at the 24 efforts they had on goal and only managed two goals. They had eight saved and eight blocked as they opened us up time and again. They looked very good to me - best side to visit the Valley this season.
         I rest my case 🤣🤣🤣👍👍
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:

You should have gone to Specsavers. 
            Idiot, 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:

I think that is unfair on Bolton. What I suppose could be argued is that they don't finish enough of the chances they make. I mean that free kick was excellent but shouldn't have been given and their other goal was down to an error. A forced error but an error all the same. Defensively they are very strong and they have just dipped into the transfer market to strengthen their attack, but yes they are a League One side and won't be without weaknesses.
          I rest my case Bolton are not a true champion team and after 24 shots or chances a free kick that was not a free kick and gifted mistake got them 3 points where it could so easily been a draw👍
    It’s a football match. They’re often quite weird. But Bolton are way better than us, that’s for sure. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The bard of SE7 in superlative form
    https://charltonchampion.co.uk/2023/01/29/kevin-nolans-valley-view-charlton-athletic-1-2-bolton-wanderers/
    If skintgaard had 1% of KN's knowledge and skill he'd be a million times better for Charlton