Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away clubs you’ve been to most

Comments

• Options
    Welling 
    Surely, this is for Charlton first team away matches. If we count other teams at home, or Charlton reserves, then it's another question entirely.
  • Options
    Was always Pompey and sheff Wednesday but never missed an old Trafford game in prem years so that’s up there as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Probably Ipswich, Norwich, Portsmouth & Derby.

Mainly due to length of driving time & the fact we could get to midweek evening matches if daughter had a "study period or orthodontist appt " at the end of the school day & Mr F could get home in time despite the M25 traffic. 

Home made sarnies, flask of tea & in the winter, another of soup & a blanket for the homeward journey. 

I realise that the passing of time might distort the memories but I seem to recall more victories to celebrate on the way back to Dartford, than defeats. 

Loved the camaraderie we enjoyed when others passed our car with our scarf flying out of the window & tooted their horns. 

Great times. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Probably Ipswich, Norwich, Portsmouth & Derby.

Mainly due to length of driving time & the fact we could get to midweek evening matches if daughter had a "study period or orthodentist appt " at the end of the school day & Mr F could get home in time despite the M25 traffic. 

Home made sarnies, flask of tea & in the winter, another of soup & a blanket for the homeward journey. 

I realise that the passing of time might distort the memories but I seem to recall more victories to celebrate on the way back to Dartford, than defeats. 

Loved the camaraderie we enjoyed when others passed our car with our scarf flying out of the window & tooted their horns. 

Great times. 
    Was that the Italian boy?
  • Options
    Millwall (well I did work there for four years 😳)
    Man Utd 
    Birmingham
    Villa
  • Options
    Probably Fulham, was my first away game in 1975, and we played them fairly regularly until our current reduced circumstances. The cup tie in 1981 is still one of my favourite games.
  • Options
    Having lived in Stockport since 77, I would guess City at both Maine Rd and the Etihad would be top. Away from my local area Hillsborough would be a very close second. 
  • Options
    Done all the London clubs more times than I can remember. 
    Outside of London I must have done
    Pompy 
    Southampton 
    Brighton 
    Norwich 
    Ipswich 
    All at least 7 or 8 times each.

Up North for some reason I can't explain but I must have done Bolton and Blackburn at least 7 times each.
  • Options
    I’ve been to Palace more times than I would like to mention….
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably Fulham, was my first away game in 1975, and we played them fairly regularly until our current reduced circumstances. The cup tie in 1981 is still one of my favourite games.
    Oh shit wait, I've seen us at Fulham twice too! Thanks for the reminder. We lost 7-1 on aggregate so not surprising I've put it from my mind 
  • Options
    Millwall, Orient, Palace but outside of London probs Pompey or Birmingham.

• Options
    West Ham, but outside of London can’t think of any I’ve been to more than once, maybe Ipswich?
  • Options
    Plymouth four times
    Exeter 3 times
    Yeovil twice
    Bristol Rovers twice.
  • Options
    Bristol City, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth, Exeter, Swindon, Yeovil, Cardiff, Aston Villa
  • Options
    Swindon Town, probably about half a dozen times. It's walking distance from where I live, so if I'm in town on the day it seems rude not to.

Others I've been to two or three times are Bristol City and Oxford, plus Portsmouth if we're counting pre-season friendlies. I've been to Bristol Rovers twice but one of those was at Bath. Longer away trips I usually target one or two per season and always aim for grounds I've never been to.
  • Options
    Gillingham 
  • Options
    Pompey and Millsmall.
  • Options
    Used to go to Millwall a fair bit with an old school friend. Other than that, Vicarage Road and the old Goldstone ground when I lived nearby them 
  • Options
    Off to Derby on Saturday and reckon it’s my 6th time to either the Baseball Ground or Pride Park to see Charlton. I reckon that’s the most I’ve seen us elsewhere, definitely outside London.

What ones are yours? 
    Even though I've seen us play at (among other places) Carlisle, Hartlepool, Cardiff, Exeter, Huddersfield, I've never seen us play Derby away.  But longer trips usually depend on whether I can also see close friends or family, hence NE/Yorks  for me - or some other kind of jaunt/diversion.  No pattern to it

Probably Millwall or Fulham the most-visited if I did a count, though somewhat depressingly Wimbledon has increased a lot in recent seasons.  Pompey & Brighton next, and a lot of longer/other trips a few times per ground.  Won't be too many of us around who've seen us twice at Aldershot, I'm thinking...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pompey, Carlisle, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley. 
    When I wasn’t old enough to travel to away games I used to get on the bus outside our house in Westcombe Hill and either go to watch Millwall, or across the river to watch the Orient. This would have been in the early 60’s. 
  • Options
    Welling 
    Surely, this is for Charlton first team away matches. If we count other teams at home, or Charlton reserves, then it's another question entirely.
    1st team pre-season friendlies?
  • Options
    Old Trafford (clearly a glory hunter...)

1988 1st Division.
    1989 1st Division.
    1994 FA Cup.
    Once in Prem (cant remember which year).
    2022 League cup.
  • Options
    Welling 

I realise that this may be a bit niche considering the forum, but I've attended Richmond Park (St Patrick's Athletic) as an away fan dozens of times.
  • Options
    I think our most played teams are Pompey and M’boro if memory serves me correctly, so not surprised Pompey are there for a lot of people.  

I’ll struggle I think to name the team I’ve seen us play most at.  It probably is Portsmouth, but my last visit there was 2003.  I think I had been there 4 times before that, so nowhere near as many of you who have been going there in the last 20 years.

Ipswich might be around 6 times.  I went there 3 times in the 97/98 season as we played them in the league cup that year, as well as the play off.  

It’s a good question and a tough one to answer 
  • Options
    New Den and Selhurst over 5 times each at least maybe nearer 10 each. Upton Park after them.

Further afield Anfield and Goodison a number of times.

• Options
    Done Millwall away ten times. Basically every away game we’ve had there since about 1995.

Outside of London it would be Pompey, Sheffield United and Watford - which I’ve done 4 times each.
  • Options
    Must've been in the crappy away end at the Withdean about 12 times. My mate is a Tranmere fan so we used to do both away games each season when Brighton, Charlton & Tranmere were all in League 1
  • Options
    Park View Road is probably the highest for me actually, if that counts
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Brighton many times over various grounds, Millwall old and new Den on numerous occasions.  
    Surprised only a couple have also mentioned Brighton- we always had great away crowds there over the years.