Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Sheffield Wednesday | Saturday 25th February 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Sheffield Wednesday
Saturday 25th February 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Benjamin Speedie

Introduction
It wasn't overly surprising when last Saturday we saw a Charlton side receiving a lesson on how to mount a promotion challenge - We visited Pride Park with not the best of records, and whilst we showed glimpses of troubling the home side, for the most part, Derby showed just why they're chasing promotion this season and could well have scored more had they been more ruthless - This Saturday we welcome the League leaders to the Valley, if we play like we did in Derbyshire, then we should expect another lesson... With Benjamin Speedie in charge of the game its a sign that the Addicks are going no where fast this season.

The Opposition
Name: Sheffield Wednesday (1st) | Manager: Darren Moore
Ground: Hillsborough
Previous Result: Sheff Wed 5-2 Milton Keynes

Last campaign saw the Owls missing out on the Play-Off Final in dramatic fashion - Our visitors this Saturday looked set to force Extra-Time against Sunderland, only for Patrick Roberts to score a 93rd minute winner and consign Wednesday to another season at this level... So its no surprise really to see them once again mounting a promotion challenge as they look to return to the Championship, and this time look favourites not just to reach that target, but return to the second tier as Champions - Something that will relieve their aggrevied fans after the title was undeservedly taken from them in 2011-12.

Since 2010, the Addicks have just two wins in eight at the Valley in this Fixture, and in terms of current form, well its not pretty reading for Charlton fans. Sheffield Wednesday have lost just three games all season (twice on the road), with the last coming at the start of October, we may have matched them, even out played them for large parts when we visited Hillsborough at the start of the season. But the fact they still won 1-0 was perhaps a sign of things to come for the Owls - They visit the Valley, having dropped points just the once since Boxing Day... this is a team on a mission, which they appear well on the way to achieving!!

Charlton Team News
Another factor that didn't appear to surprising at Derby, was the lack of effort at times from Charlton... The commitment has clearly been there, I mean the likes of Ashley Maynard-Brewer have admitted that the Play-Offs were still the aim, yet the players on Saturday put in a performance where they didnt even believe their own words - Defeat at Pride Park has surely ended those hopes, meaning we've got 15-games of going through the motions before we can forget another horrid season at this level.

Of course its now a 15-game audition for the players out there... You would hope that the likes of Maynard-Brewer | Ness | Dobson | Leaburn will be around next season unless offers come in which are far too tempting - Yet the likes of Michael Hector, Matt Penney, Macauley Bonne are all playing for their futures... The latter for sure, needs to find the confidence from within, should he want to extend his contract in SE7 - In terms of availability this weekend, we may well see Miles Leaburn back in contention after missing the last few games, whilst Mandela Egbo continues to step up his own recovery, and may well be seen over the course of March, something I didnt expect to say again this season!!

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Hector - Ness - Sessegnon
Kilkenny - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Bonne - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes: Wollacott - Penny - Inniss - Morgan - Payne - Campbell - Aneke

Comments

• Options
    No chance we're winning this one. 1-3 loss.
  • Options
    Would take a point but cant see past a Wendesday win.
  • Options
    A must win
  • Options
    I'm with Ronnie (yes, really). Holden needs to change it for these types of games, We are far too predictable and not very good. 

2-2
  • Options
    If he persists with 433 against Wed then we are in for a tough afternoon .. they will have worked out like others before them that overpowering us in mid and attacking the flanks is the way to beat us .. they will see that Raki and CBT do not defend. Big game for Holden. 

This is spot on, but what option do we have?

To play 2 up top in a 442 you need two fit strikers. we don't. Thanks Tommy.

Sorry, 2-0 Wednesday, and easy day out for them.
  • Options
    If he persists with 433 against Wed then we are in for a tough afternoon .. they will have worked out like others before them that overpowering us in mid and attacking the flanks is the way to beat us .. they will see that Raki and CBT do not defend. Big game for Holden. 

What team and formation would you go for?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

What team and formation would you go for?
    352 … 

AMB

Hector
    Inniss
    Ness 

Clare
    SS

Dobson
    Fraser 

Number 10
    role Aneke , Payne or Raki 

Bonne 
    Leaburn or Kanu 

all depends on fitness of course 

Looks good on paper... But cant see Kanu being involved, and cant see more than one of Bonne | Aneke | Leaburn starting - We really needed a fourth Striker to be able to play two up top this season, especially with the lack of reliable fitness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And who will score the goals?
  • Options
    How about Dobson and Kilkenny in  DM.   Fraser in no.10 role. Start Aneke if fit , with Leaburn sub
  • Options
    How about Dobson and Kilkenny in  DM.   Fraser in no.10 role. Start Aneke if fit , with Leaburn sub
    Do not start Aneke. He never plays well when he starts a game, to do so would waste any impact effect he has.
  • Options
    Even as a glass half full person, I am struggling to see us getting anything from this game. I think the Wendies are in too good form and have far too much to play for - far more than us, sadly. Can only see a defeat: 0-2.

I agree that we may need to switch to 3-5-2 for this one depending if we have enough fit players for that system. I certainly think CBT should be rested.
  • Options
    Hope Leaburn returns with Aneke on the bench. Need a big effort from the players after last week. Wednesday confidence high. Very big ask to take 3 points but as always hoping for a happy valley especially as taking the 8 year old grandson. UTA
  • Options
    0-3 win outlasted like the Derby and Bolton games. Some of these players just don't care and can't do the basics. Can't see anything other than a defeat sadly. Would love a battling point 
  • Options
    Given the qulaity of the opposition, maybe we should go with a 4-4-2 with CBT and JRS as the front two. I wouldn't advocate this normally but horses for courses.
  • Options
    Thought I was finished with the ole 0-9 prediction bollocks!

BUT
  • Options
    3000+ overexcited northerners in the ground so obviously a 93rd minute winner for the addicks.

2-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it probably won't be pretty.

Hopefully after Saturday we will start to see more youngsters integrated, at least on the bench. Would like to see Henry get some time, along with Mitchell, Deji, and Kanu as a super sub. 
  • Options
    It will be 0-4 ,  after the last two games cannot see any thing but a heavy defeat. The worry then is we are drawn back into the relegation battle.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I think the objective for this season is get the 10 points we need to be safe  and then integrate young players. Even then, it has to be done properly, not put out an U21 team as it won't help. Even now, Kanu should appear on the bench more and Henry should be above Morgan, wherever he is.
  • Options
    I think the objective for this season is get the 10 points we need to be safe  and then integrate young players. Even then, it has to be done properly, not put out an U21 team as it won't help. Even now, Kanu should appear on the bench more and Henry should be above Morgan, wherever he is.
    That would be my plan as well. Cant see why when leaburn has been injured Kanu hasn't had a go on the bench now and again. 
  • Options
    Our season is finished, Wednesday on a roll, we'll get turned over very easily.
  • Options
    That would be my plan as well. Cant see why when leaburn has been injured Kanu hasn't had a go on the bench now and again. 
    I think until the managers future is settled then Holdens thinking will be on putting out a side that can win games. I'm with you as I would like to see the energy that young players bring to the team 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I think until the managers future is settled then Holdens thinking will be on putting out a side that can win games. I'm with you as I would like to see the energy that young players bring to the team 
    If Holden wants to win the game then he needs to replace Bonne with Kanu because Bonne is a dud