Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Sheffield Wednesday | Saturday 25th February 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    I can't decide whether to get the 16:33 or 16:40 train 
    Take your wife out, get the 15.40
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    If he persists with 433 against Wed then we are in for a tough afternoon .. they will have worked out like others before them that overpowering us in mid and attacking the flanks is the way to beat us .. they will see that Raki and CBT do not defend. Big game for Holden. 

What team and formation would you go for?
    352 … 

AMB

Hector
    Inniss
    Ness 

Clare
    SS

Dobson
    Fraser 

Number 10
    role Aneke , Payne or Raki 

Bonne 
    Leaburn or Kanu 

all depends on fitness of course 

It’s an option but it hasn’t worked for us this season the few times we’ve used it. You’d go from wingers and full backs out wide to only wing backs, that doesn’t necessarily strengthen us in the wide positions. Remember how ineffective it became under JJ?

Two CMs weakens us in the middle, Aneke or JRS aren’t going to track back effectively to form a midfield three.

Tough game whatever we go with, both systems have their weaknesses. Our wins under Holden have come from playing 4-3-3 - CBT and JRS out wide is our main attacking threat, we shouldn’t forget that. If we take that away we need threats from other areas to avoid being stuck defending our own box.
  • Options
    COYR
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I can`t see us getting anything from this game.

The last two matches have shown us lookng nervous, unsettled and lacking in confidence. We know Shef. Wed are a powerful side and look certain for automatic promotion this season. I think we will be left in their wake as they enjoy another win and progress further. At least a 3-0 defeat and another depressing weekend awaits.  

Holden is a steadying influence and will be a miracle worker if he gets anything from this game - here`s hoping - but not holding my breath this time.
  • Options
    Dont think anyone is expecting us to get anything from this game..all I want is that we make them earn the win and dont roll over. 

2-0 Sheff Wed. 
  • Options
    Only saving grace for this match is that it has been selected by my mates and I as our annual ‘Mickey O’ day

Mickey Oakley was our goalkeeper in our Sunday league team - lovely man, with wife and 2 young children - regularly got the piss taken out of him for getting lobbed, despite being very tall - Charlton fan - worked in the print for the Government - mostly worked nights

In 2012 he was getting ready for work one evening, sat on sofa chatting to his wife - his wife went into kitchen to make cup of tea - walked back into the lounge - Mickey was slumped on sofa, dead - just like that - gone

Very sad  - shocked us all - his wake was some bash

So, every February my mates come to a February home game - beers in Oak pre match - Rose of Denmark post match - train back to Dartford, and into The Rose pub in Dartford

All to celebrate his life, and for mates to meet up again, as some live further away now

So despite what I predict to be 90 minutes of agony as a Charlton fan tomorrow, a great day is in store (followed by an enormous hangover on Sunday)

Here’s to you Mickey - great bloke - dry sense of humour - perhaps you can work your magic and their keeper has a nightmare tmrw 😃
    If he does we will know why now. Have a good day.
  • Options
    Not expecting much but we have been known to surprise me when I go to a game expecting a pummelling.

One thing is for sure - Famewo has been back in the side recently and we will 100% make him look like Beckenbauer leading to fans saying next week how we should never have let him go.  He will have Bonne in his back pocket for sure.  The way to get the better of Famewo is balls over the top and pressing him when he's on the ball because he will just turn over possession.

Fully expecting an away win and, as annoying as it is, I really can't be arsed to go.  But I will
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-0, Macauley Bonne hat-trick
    Lol

Have a proper lol as your joke deserves more than a casual press of the lol button 
  • Options
    Holden says some players with niggles and there has been illness in the squad this week, does not know who will be fit
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Holden says some players with niggles and there has been illness in the squad this week, does not know who will be fit
    Fingers crossed Bonne has a niggle and sickness 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Sounds like Holden is softening us up for an incoming thrashing. Great just when you thought it couldn't get shitter 
  • Options
    2 nil defeat. Aneka replaces the ineffective Bonne on 70 minutes and produces the reds first shot on target.
  • Options
    I suppose that arsey little oik Bannen will run the show tomorrow.
    If only he played for us!
    I expect us to labour to a comfortable defeat, but here's hoping we put in a shift of ManU proportions.
    Yeh, right.
    I feel after tomorrow it will seem that the season is over, barring a calamitous slide into relegation trouble. I'm confident Holden won't let that happen.
    Then we must hope somebody better than Sandgaard is in charge before the summer transfer window.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    FFS, Holden used to be very clear and transparant about a player's situation from injury, but his latest on Leaburn just sounds the usual hazy/vague/opaque response we have now been used to for years.

I've just checked, his last start was 14th Jan V Barnsley - 6 weeks ago this weekend.
  • Options
    Might sound negative but we should probably approach this game like those against Brighton and Man Utd. Don’t press their back four too much, press the players they’re looking to pass to. 
    Stick Dobson on Bannan. 
    Job done. Lose 2-0. 
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only saving grace for this match is that it has been selected by my mates and I as our annual ‘Mickey O’ day

Mickey Oakley was our goalkeeper in our Sunday league team - lovely man, with wife and 2 young children - regularly got the piss taken out of him for getting lobbed, despite being very tall - Charlton fan - worked in the print for the Government - mostly worked nights

In 2012 he was getting ready for work one evening, sat on sofa chatting to his wife - his wife went into kitchen to make cup of tea - walked back into the lounge - Mickey was slumped on sofa, dead - just like that - gone

So, every February my mates come to a February home game - beers in Oak pre match - Rose of Denmark post match - train back to Dartford, and into The Rose pub in Dartford

All to celebrate his life, and for mates to meet up again, as some live further away now

So despite what I predict to be 90 minutes of agony as a Charlton fan tomorrow, a great day is in store (followed by an enormous hangover on Sunday)

Here’s to you Mickey - great bloke - dry sense of humour - perhaps you can work your magic and their keeper has a nightmare tmrw 😃
    I presume you sorted the tickets?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Bonne not the problem just like Aneke not the problem just like Stockley was not the problem one thing in common that all these suffered from no service … said many times if they were missing chance after chance then there an argument .. but there not in fact don’t think
    Bonne had one single chance even to miss but  has created for others ..

• Options

Yes thanks - I contacted Club, explained what day is all about - very helpful - one of my mates is a member of Charlton, and they said he can buy tmrw using membership card, or I sort them as a season ticket holder

I have warned my mates that the away support bellend ratio is rather high 🤣
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Bonne not the problem just like Aneke not the problem just like Stockley was not the problem one thing in common that all these suffered from no service … said many times if they were missing chance after chance then there an argument .. but there not in fact don’t think

I know CBT and JRS create very little for our forwards however I am struggling to think of chances Bonne has created for others?
  • Options

Yes thanks - I contacted Club, explained what day is all about - very helpful - one of my mates is a member of Charlton, and they said he can buy tmrw using membership card, or I sort them as a season ticket holder

When does the price go up, or has it already?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I know CBT and JRS create very little for our forwards however I am struggling to think of chances Bonne has created for others?
    Part of the problem is our midfield. I don’t think they’re creating as many chances as they should be. 
  • Options
    my enthusiasm levels are at an all time low for this one....however I'll be there for a few beers

a draw at best
  • Options
    Marvin Johnson just been given a 3 game suspension. Every little helps.
  • Options

When does the price go up, or has it already?
    They are not bothered about the extra cost - I have warned them 
  • Options
    If he persists with 433 against Wed then we are in for a tough afternoon .. they will have worked out like others before them that overpowering us in mid and attacking the flanks is the way to beat us .. they will see that Raki and CBT do not defend. Big game for Holden. 

Think your account has been hacked mate. I agree with this. Not a hint of wummery in sight.