Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAST meeting with Peter Storrie

Report of a meeting held with Charlton CEO Peter Storrie:

https://www.castrust.org/2023/03/cast-meeting-with-peter-storrie/

Comments

• Options
    Very clear, thanks.
  • Options
    Well, a glimmer of transparency. Thanks CAST.
  • Options
    Excellent, thanks for the very clear update! 
  • Options
    It's frustrating that there is still no more information about the buyer(s?) and the structure/finances behind the plans going forward, though the due diligence legalities do make it more understable.

I'm slightly encouraged that PS appears to be doing a purely professional job rather than having any stake like CM did. He's also apparently a Sandgaard appointment which is interesting...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have noticed that the club has been making some sensible football decisions recently. Not rocket science ones but this has not happened previously, IMO, with Sandgaard. Long may that continue.
  • Options
    Storrie seems to know his onions and comes across well.
    Interesting that Sandgaard appointed him, maybe he is getting the message at this late hour.
    Groaned when I read "realistic budget".  Whilst superficially this makes complete sense, recent experience suggests it is just as likely to be a metaphor for trying to do it on the cheap. We shall see.
  • Options
    For anyone interested, a podcast interview with Storrie just over a year ago
  • Options
    If you look at the money Sandgaard has spent, a lot of it has been wasted. Yes, in the light of that we saw a massive halt on spending but if the purse strings are loosened a little, sensible spending could be effective. What we haven't really had for a while is a competent manager being allowed to plan without direction from above for next season. It is looking like we may get that and my view is just a small number of the right players could make a massive difference. Nothing has conclusively happened yet of course.
  • Options
    Agreed and it will also be built by the manager working out what the team is lacking and what he can do about it and that important process should, and seems to be, commencing now, not in the Summer.
  • Options
    Storrie seems to know his onions and comes across well.
    Interesting that Sandgaard appointed him, maybe he is getting the message at this late hour.
    Groaned when I read "realistic budget".  Whilst superficially this makes complete sense, recent experience suggests it is just as likely to be a metaphor for trying to do it on the cheap. We shall see.
    Maybe, but several posters have pointed to other League 1 teams that have been assembled far more cheaply than ours that are performing better too.
    The summer rebuild will depend on good scouting and loans, and not relying on permanently injured players or poor performers making a return. 
    Yeh, I agree with those sentiments but sometimes the best man for the job comes at a premium.
    I suspect if we lose out on targets for budgetery reasons might explain why we end up with 3rd, 4th or 5th choice players with poor injury records or  other deficiencies.
    I suppose it boils down to spending wisely.
    We have wasted good money on the likes of DJ, Lavelle and Kirk.

• Options
    Typical PR. Look at Bob Whitehands twitter reply. This is the sort of question that needs answering!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wait for actions not Words. 

Easy to give good answers to the soft, easy questions asked by CAST, who are still going on about the nonsense Charter

Storrie was appointed as Sandgaard no longer wants to manage the club day to day (thank god) not out of wanting to do better.

Most important element of that non-interview was the very clear signalling of a ticket price increase.

Lets hope they can hit the 6k sales they need in the budget.
  • Options
    Well done to the Trust for getting the interview but when I read PS saying that The Valley and Sparrows Lane are on the agenda but no discussions with RD have taken place it is such an obvious lie as the two positions are not mutually exclusive. 

So frankly after that it is clear PS will simply say what is needed to keep fans inside. Guff.  He is more credible that Methven but that is a ridiculously low bar.

• Options
    Well done to the Trust for getting the interview but when I read PS saying that The Valley and Sparrows Lane are on the agenda but no discussions with RD have taken place it is such an obvious lie as the two positions are not mutually exclusive. 

So frankly after that it is clear PS will simply say what is needed to keep fans inside. Guff.  He is more credible that Methven but that is a ridiculously low bar.

Indeed, if Methven had become CEO on a consultant basis back in December, and had said all that Storrie has said, they would have uproar 
  • Options
    At face value ,he is a very good appointment. 
  • Options
    Two things struck me.

The first that CAFC was taking up most of his time at the moment. Well, Peter, the clue is in the job title - Chief Executive Officer - it's not a part-time job mate! (Or at least, it shouldn't be).

Second, he seems very keen on "targets". This, as always, is a mistake. (I refer readers to Goodhart's Law.)  Targets* are never anything but bad, bad concepts because they invariably distort everything else around them. If he doesn't know this, he needs a different job or possibly a return to retirement.

*Other than the one with posts and a crossbar.
  • Options
    As ever, the issue with season ticket sales is the quality of the product on offer, particularly over these last two seasons. There will always be a proportion of supporters who will commit to a season ticket regardless of the quality of football on offer and, up to a point, the price. But a number will likely think actions speak louder than words and wait before re-commiting. If we have another close season transfer activity like the last two the club can hardly be surprised if there were a sizeable reduction in renewals.

Interesting comment from Storrie regarding Charlton's sizeable expenditure commitment to its academy for a league 1 club. We regularly have 6-7 academy graduates in our match day squad of 18 (i.e. 33-38%). I have no idea how that compares to the other league 1 clubs or even how many run an academy. Aside from reducing staff and academy expenditures, I guess the alternative is you either potentially pay more in transfer fees, or bring young players in to your squad who have been let go from other club's academies. You also have to factor in the periodic offset of incoming transfer fees when one of the academy players occasional moves on to a higher level. There are a few arms and legs to that consideration.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    "In terms of football management, Peter, Dean, Steve [Gallen] and Ron [Dangerfield] work together and hold weekly meetings".

No mention of Sandgaard junior?

Edit.  Just spotted that @wightaddick beat me to it.  Note to self, read the thread before commenting.