Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAST meeting with Peter Storrie

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    No point naming other investors until the deal is done. It will not reflect well on them if they all declare their interest and then the deal doesn’t go through (especially with the potential methven case bubbling away in the background).

They absolutely will want to get fans on side and sell season tickets but that can all happen from the end of April onwards when everything is legally agreed. Little advantage to be gained by doing it earlier.
  • Options
    The problem with all these Q&A with senior people is that they clearly give you the information that they want you to have and conveniently leave the more difficult questions to, ‘That’s not my remit’ or something similar.

But of course that’s not to diminish CAST’s good intentions to get some positivity and reassurance that potential new owners have the fans wishes, if not at the top but somewhere near the top of the agenda.

So, well done CAST for all your efforts.
  • Options
    Very well written 

Good work CAST 
  • Options
    This is obviously progressing and unlike the Methven deal looks unlikely to me to fall over. Storrie seems competent and I doubt he has reason to spin or bullshit. We can 100% be certain that Spiegel is heading this and unlikely to be alone. Judging by Storrie’s comments it looks to me likely that a conclusion is still a while off. I think we’ll have new owners by the seasons end. Assuming they are affluent and ambitious enough that’s decent timing for a good close season window. 

Only very recently he was in London pitching for investors and apparently failing. There isn't the resource needed behind this deal yet. It's another American with limited (football) funds and no knowledge of the game. Unless something changes this is Sandgaard 2.0 without the guitar.

As someone said above it's just words, why would we trust what Storrie says? 

You state this as fact but where did you hear it please.  I know you were in contact with CM who will be bitter he missed out so spinning all sorts of nonsense I imagine.
    No it wasn’t CM a different source, same person said there is no other investors (also backed up by CM) and neither had heard of Joseph Oughourlian being involved.

Time will tell, I guess but by then it will be too late or Sandgaard’s saved another 6 weeks costs.
    You seem to know a few people who apparently have knowledge of the ongoings behind the scenes/ pitching for investors etc CM amongst others. Would it be rude to ask how you have access to all these knowledgeable people ? Are you connected to the club, are you connected to people in the football world ?
  • Options
    Major said:
    This is obviously progressing and unlike the Methven deal looks unlikely to me to fall over. Storrie seems competent and I doubt he has reason to spin or bullshit. We can 100% be certain that Spiegel is heading this and unlikely to be alone. Judging by Storrie’s comments it looks to me likely that a conclusion is still a while off. I think we’ll have new owners by the seasons end. Assuming they are affluent and ambitious enough that’s decent timing for a good close season window. 

Only very recently he was in London pitching for investors and apparently failing. There isn't the resource needed behind this deal yet. It's another American with limited (football) funds and no knowledge of the game. Unless something changes this is Sandgaard 2.0 without the guitar.

You state this as fact but where did you hear it please.  I know you were in contact with CM who will be bitter he missed out so spinning all sorts of nonsense I imagine.
    No it wasn’t CM a different source, same person said there is no other investors (also backed up by CM) and neither had heard of Joseph Oughourlian being involved.

Time will tell, I guess but by then it will be too late or Sandgaard’s saved another 6 weeks costs.
    More 'sources', eh? Why do I get the feeling you are only on here to sow discontent?
    What’s wrong with a different opinion on matters then? 
  • Options
    Six-a-bag-of-nuts said:Fair points,
    Storrie seems to know his onions and comes across well.
    Interesting that Sandgaard appointed him, maybe he is getting the message at this late hour.
    Groaned when I read "realistic budget".  Whilst superficially this makes complete sense, recent experience suggests it is just as likely to be a metaphor for trying to do it on the cheap. We shall see.
    Maybe, but several posters have pointed to other League 1 teams that have been assembled far more cheaply than ours that are performing better too.
    The summer rebuild will depend on good scouting and loans, and not relying on permanently injured players or poor performers making a return. 
    Yeh, I agree with those sentiments but sometimes the best man for the job comes at a premium.
    I suspect if we lose out on targets for budgetery reasons might explain why we end up with 3rd, 4th or 5th choice players with poor injury records or  other deficiencies.
    I suppose it boils down to spending wisely.
    We have wasted good money on the likes of DJ, Lavelle and Kirk.

Fair point, but I wonder whether we lose out on choices 1, 2 and 3 because we are a basket case of a club, rather than the money on offer?
    Is Charlton a good choice for a top player for a given position to ply their trade.
    Peeps on here criticise Gallen for poor scouting, etc. but if his preferred choices don't want to come due to the poor state of the club, then what can he do?
    It would be fascinating to know, in a given transfer window, which players were approached and what the outcome was in each case, as well as the timeline for all approaches and negotiations across the piece.
    The end result is only part of the picture. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Major said:

More 'sources', eh? Why do I get the feeling you are only on here to sow discontent?
    Primarily (Im assuming here) its because SHA has been regularly sowing discontent and bullshit since his first reappearance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Grateful to CAST for pushing for information. The trouble is, it’s never ‘positive’ news or, indeed ‘news’. So basically:
    1. The Valley And Sparrows Lane are still not part of the new owners proposal
    2. Our aim is (at least) top 6 next year despite our breakeven strategy that can only be achieved by selling the exact same players who are good enough to get us there.
    3. Dean is gonna bring in his own players that will make us better than we are now albeit within the strict financial regime meaning loanees or league 2 or below ‘triers’.

Nothing new. Nothing different or better. Nothing realistic to give us any hope of seeing a return to the stability and successes we had 20 years ago. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Should fall through then unless he finds investors then, won't get past the EFL tests if he can't fund the club for the minimum (2 seasons?).
    This test a bit strange IMO.

The EFL can't say how much you should spend, because that would be bonkers.  I would say a good guess would be that a serious, ambitious, owner would need to fund nearly 10 million quid a season whilst we are in league 1 and not a lot less in the championship, to start with.

Now if you wrote a business plan, to submit to the EFL that slashed academy spending and a whole host of other cost cutting measures (no matter how viable or aleffective they would be), maybe even factored in some net player sales.  How much funding would you need to prove to pass the test?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Should fall through then unless he finds investors then, won't get past the EFL tests if he can't fund the club for the minimum (2 seasons?).

The EFL can't say how much you should spend, because that would be bonkers.  I would say a good guess would be that a serious, ambitious, owner would need to fund nearly 10 million quid a season whilst we are in league 1 and not a lot less in the championship, to start with.

Now if you wrote a business plan, to submit to the EFL that slashed academy spending and a whole host of other cost cutting measures (no matter how viable or aleffective they would be), maybe even factored in some net player sales.  How much funding would you need to prove to pass the test?
    I guess the EFL make their judgement on (say) the last three years accounts and have little interest in what you plan to do.
  • Options

Thank you.  Could you clarify the "there are no other investors" statement. Do you mean Spiegel is going it alone?  That is what it sounds like.  Do your sources know his net worth?
  • Options

I genuinely don't understand this.

When did it become a thing that if you're looking to buy a business you have to be pay for the running of it whilst you're going through the process?
    Is it some sort of 'test drive' scenario so you can get a grasp of the kind of outgoings you're going to come up against?

I don't get it. Can anyone explain?
  • Options
    not not going it alone
  • Options
    I suspect Holden knows his budget for next year, irrespective of what is happening in terms of the ownership. The clue is him being in negotiations and agreeing a long term contract.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Major said:

Nothing wrong with an opinion, and it is something that needs to be welcomed and respected more. 

The lines become blurred when you start expressing unsubstantiated evidence as fact.
  • Options
    not not going it alone
    Based on what?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I’m not saying it’s wrong but are we to believe that Sandgaard is so stupid he keeps entering into exclusivity deals with suitors that he knows don’t have enough money to run a football club any more than he does ? It’s that or he’s willing to share the expense 50/50 and roll the dice again. If Spiegel is alone or with TS as a very minor shareholder then we’re after one season of bluster back to square one. Also makes me think think Spiegel is as deluded as Sandgaard. I’m hoping there’s more to it than that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I guess the EFL make their judgement on (say) the last three years accounts and have little interest in what you plan to do.
    But there is no obligation, as far as the EFL are concerned, to have a cat 2 academy with current levels of funding, a 27k seater stadium, a u21 team and all the other things say Morecambe haven't got.  Is there? 
  • Options

When did it become a thing that if you're looking to buy a business you have to be pay for the running of it whilst you're going through the process?
    Is it some sort of 'test drive' scenario so you can get a grasp of the kind of outgoings you're going to come up against?

We might not rate Sandgaard's business acumen, especially when applied to Charlton AFC.
    But he sure is a good confidence trickster!
  • Options
    The standout point for me was that Storie was at Portsmouth and had to handle 3 different owners in 6months and none of them had any money . Sound familiar ?
    I think he is genuine but he is only there on a wage so has zero influence on the investor side but will I should imagine be on a very nice bonus if it goes through .
  • Options
    I think Cast did a good job in tough circumstances and yes Peter S comes across as genuine fella.

However, unless we get an owner who can deal with Roland and pay him off  then we will end up moving from the Valley... I just don't see a happy ending with this. 
  • Options

Only at Charlton Athletic does the  owner recruit a new CEO he has never met and then tells him to report to a potential new owner, the new CEO has never met.  And the potential new owner may have co-investors but no-one knows who they might be including the potential new owner,  the new CEO or the existing owner. 

Will someone please introduce some common sense and sanity  before we all go raving bonkers.
    too late I'm afraid 
  • Options

Only at Charlton Athletic does the  owner recruit a new CEO he has never met and then tells him to report to a potential new owner, the new CEO has never met.  And the potential new owner may have co-investors but no-one knows who they might be including the potential new owner,  the new CEO or the existing owner. 

Will someone please introduce some common sense and sanity before we all go raving bonkers. 
    Which is why the description of PS as to how he was appointed doesn’t sound wholly plausible or at least not the whole  truth. 

People know people who know people and that’s how he and his predecessors get in the roles they do. 

There is likely some connections not being disclosed yet. 

Likewise DH wasn’t fully credible as to what he said about knowing CM and partners and who spoke to who and when. I rather assume agents are linking people up and sharing  with their clients more of the inside track on who is investing and when. 

I also recognise confidences need to be   observed sometimes. 

But regardless if he is genuinely doing football CEO stuff and restoring some normality to day to day operations that must be relatively positive. 
  • Options
    Given our experience Storrie has a very long way to go to convince me he isn’t just another person exploiting our distress for his personal gain.
    I hope to see credible delivery of sustainable Storrie substance soon.
  • Options

We might not rate Sandgaard's business acumen, especially when applied to Charlton AFC.
    But he sure is a good confidence trickster!
     Quite extraordinary if true (I have my doubts because the initial post came from one of Methvens lackeys)

Sandgaard sale pitch
    "So in order for you to prove you have the worth to run this great football club, I will allow you to take on all of the running costs this highly loss making (mainly my fault!) entity incurs for the couple of months it will take you to carry out due dilligance. Should all bills be paid in full and on time then the money pit is yours"

Madness!