Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAST meeting with Peter Storrie

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    cafcfan said:
    Two things struck me.

The first that CAFC was taking up most of his time at the moment. Well, Peter, the clue is in the job title - Chief Executive Officer - it's not a part-time job mate! (Or at least, it shouldn't be).

Second, he seems very keen on "targets". This, as always, is a mistake. (I refer readers to Goodhart's Law.)  Targets* are never anything but bad, bad concepts because they invariably distort everything else around them. If he doesn't know this, he needs a different job or possibly a return to retirement.

*Other than the one with posts and a crossbar.
    Disagree … as long as the targets have accountability and a timeframe, they encourage a long-term vision and short-term motivation and visibility.  

In general, they also improve work performance due to the transparency of the project plan.  
    Disagree ... you are conflating measures and targets which are two entirely different things. (Read the actual law.) All the work in this area indicates that targets are bad. They always distort everything else around them. So, let's take a couple of quick football-related examples. A striker has been given a target of scoring 20 goals in a season. Straight away it puts undue pressure on the individual. The striker is more rather than less likely to shoot at every opportunity to attempt to achieve the individual target.  Even though it might often be better to pass to a teammate in a better position to shoot or to pass back to retain possession or to try to get a corner or a freekick. The individual might meet their personal target but the team scores less goals than it otherwise would have done.  Said player losses all goodwill among their fellow players by waving their arms around, shouting and looking disgruntled when they fail to have the ball passed to them. Or a commercial manager at a football club is given a target of attracting a minimum number of club partners/sponsors. They meet the target but you end up with some highly dubious entities attached to your club name - I refer you to Generous Robots DAO or Aeroflot in the case of Man Utd.  The list of examples is endless but then I'd be going on.
  • Options
    This is obviously progressing and unlike the Methven deal looks unlikely to me to fall over. Storrie seems competent and I doubt he has reason to spin or bullshit. We can 100% be certain that Spiegel is heading this and unlikely to be alone. Judging by Storrie’s comments it looks to me likely that a conclusion is still a while off. I think we’ll have new owners by the seasons end. Assuming they are affluent and ambitious enough that’s decent timing for a good close season window. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It’s clear to me that Peter Storrie has only been put in place as CEO and being paid and working for Thomas Sandgaard because Sandgaard no longer wants to show his face again in SE7.

More cut backs , more losses and still no sign of any owner wanting to regain full control of club , ground and training ground.

Holden will have to put his foot down and pull his finger out if the club are to achieve top six next season.

Once again the manager is not to blame but the Owner most certainly is.

Of course not when the price is £50m or so.

I don't know why anyone expects that to change at the moment?
    It’s just another stick to beat people with 🙄
  • Options
    To me there's no doubt TS employed PS, there's no doubt he's paying his wages.
    My question to PS would be who recommended him to TS?
    TS openly stated he was looking for a CEO that thought the same as he does (god forbid there's a MKll out there)
    He stated he had actively been looking for that person to fill that role for 2 years (Yep and I'm joining the chippendales)
    Now suddenly TS has seen the light and suddenly decided to employ two CEO with football experience in six months (Thats like saying Burger boy is just misunderstood)
    Just a constant stream of lies coming out of the club.
  • Options
    This is obviously progressing and unlike the Methven deal looks unlikely to me to fall over. Storrie seems competent and I doubt he has reason to spin or bullshit. We can 100% be certain that Spiegel is heading this and unlikely to be alone. Judging by Storrie’s comments it looks to me likely that a conclusion is still a while off. I think we’ll have new owners by the seasons end. Assuming they are affluent and ambitious enough that’s decent timing for a good close season window. 

Only very recently he was in London pitching for investors and apparently failing. There isn't the resource needed behind this deal yet. It's another American with limited (football) funds and no knowledge of the game. Unless something changes this is Sandgaard 2.0 without the guitar.

As someone said above it's just words, why would we trust what Storrie says? 
  • Options

Only very recently he was in London pitching for investors and apparently failing. There isn't the resource needed behind this deal yet. It's another American with limited (football) funds and no knowledge of the game. Unless something changes this is Sandgaard 2.0 without the guitar.

Sandgaard 2?
    What you've just described sounds more like Southall 2.
  • Options

Should fall through then unless he finds investors then, won't get past the EFL tests if he can't fund the club for the minimum (2 seasons?).
  • Options
    I hope Spiegel is told by the EFL to deposit £20 million in an escrow account for the sole use of CAFC over the next 18 months or it is no deal.
    To be reviewed when that 18 months is up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s clear to me that Peter Storrie has only been put in place as CEO and being paid and working for Thomas Sandgaard because Sandgaard no longer wants to show his face again in SE7.

More cut backs , more losses and still no sign of any owner wanting to regain full control of club , ground and training ground.

Holden will have to put his foot down and pull his finger out if the club are to achieve top six next season.

That sounds like quite a challenging maneuver.
  • Options
    Or why he’s paid on a consultancy basis being a chief officer, doesn’t seem right
  • Options

I was thinking that.  How can the man re-emerge after such a monumental sulk? 

Had he put his hand up, taken ownership of the problems, shown a little contrition or a modicum of respect for the fans it may have been different.  I think that ship sailed - alongside HMS Piss the League - a long time ago.    
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    stonemuse said:
    cafcfan said:
    Two things struck me.

The first that CAFC was taking up most of his time at the moment. Well, Peter, the clue is in the job title - Chief Executive Officer - it's not a part-time job mate! (Or at least, it shouldn't be).

Second, he seems very keen on "targets". This, as always, is a mistake. (I refer readers to Goodhart's Law.)  Targets* are never anything but bad, bad concepts because they invariably distort everything else around them. If he doesn't know this, he needs a different job or possibly a return to retirement.

*Other than the one with posts and a crossbar.
    Disagree … as long as the targets have accountability and a timeframe, they encourage a long-term vision and short-term motivation and visibility.  

In general, they also improve work performance due to the transparency of the project plan.  
    Disagree ... you are conflating measures and targets which are two entirely different things. (Read the actual law.) All the work in this area indicates that targets are bad. They always distort everything else around them. So, let's take a couple of quick football-related examples. A striker has been given a target of scoring 20 goals in a season. Straight away it puts undue pressure on the individual. The striker is more rather than less likely to shoot at every opportunity to attempt to achieve the individual target.  Even though it might often be better to pass to a teammate in a better position to shoot or to pass back to retain possession or to try to get a corner or a freekick. The individual might meet their personal target but the team scores less goals than it otherwise would have done.  Said player losses all goodwill among their fellow players by waving their arms around, shouting and looking disgruntled when they fail to have the ball passed to them. Or a commercial manager at a football club is given a target of attracting a minimum number of club partners/sponsors. They meet the target but you end up with some highly dubious entities attached to your club name - I refer you to Generous Robots DAO or Aeroflot in the case of Man Utd.  The list of examples is endless but then I'd be going on.
    I do not agree but we can leave it there - not going to clog up a good thread with personal disagreements 
  • Options
    CAST Members are well represented at the Fans Forum, and there’s time to still get questions in for the meeting this week! 

£5 is cheap as chips, if it gives you a bit more of a proper say… unless people like to have a moan
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    seth plum said:
    I hope Spiegel is told by the EFL to deposit £20 million in an escrow account for the sole use of CAFC over the next 18 months or it is no deal.
    To be reviewed when that 18 months is up.

Can you please buy more euro lottery tickets Seth Plum because time is against us. When you do win big, try not to say to Dean Holden or manager of your choice that every game is must win. 
    Good luck.
  • Options
    CAST Members are well represented at the Fans Forum, and there’s time to still get questions in for the meeting this week! 

£5 is cheap as chips, if it gives you a bit more of a proper say… unless people like to have a moan
    Also you can send your questions into the fans advisers as well

fanadviser@cafc.co.uk

• Options
    Nice to have a modicum of transparency but there’s really no cause for optimism here as far as I can see.

I’m a bit confused about Storrie saying Spiegel is going it alone as far as he is aware but then mentions investors (plural)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Smithy said:
    Nice to have a modicum of transparency but there’s really no cause for optimism here as far as I can see.

I’m a bit confused about Storrie saying Spiegel is going it alone as far as he is aware but then mentions investors (plural)
    He didn't actually say that though. He said that Spiegel is the only one that he personally has spoken to/met.

"When asked, he stated that he was not aware of the detail regarding future source of funding, whether Spiegel was acting with other investors and whether or not Sandgaard will retain any form of stake. Marc is the main lead as far as he knows, but Peter is not part of these discussions. He said that such matters would become clear on conclusion of a deal."

So yes he's being (probably deliberately) very vague but not said anything about other investors at all.
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe Joseph Oughourlian isn’t involved. Spiegel doesn’t have the money. 
  • Options
    I don’t think JO is involved. 
  • Options
    Based on what?
  • Options

You state this as fact but where did you hear it please.  I know you were in contact with CM who will be bitter he missed out so spinning all sorts of nonsense I imagine.
  • Options
    Based on what?
    If he was they'd probably want to let that be known to get fans onside. Or they would at least not name him but confirm that there is another money man other than Spiegel involved