Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Italy vs England - Euro 2024 Qualifier

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    As usual Southgate doing his best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Bloke honestly has no bottle
    AndyG said:
    As usual Southgate doing his best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Bloke honestly has no bottle
    Taken many sudden death penalties yourself? 
    Nope but if had any brain or bravery he wouldn't revert everytime to trying to defend a lead when literally everyone knows defending isnt exactly our strong suit,  if he hadnt done that and just let the team.play to its strengths I would say the sudden death penalties wouldnt have happened. Oh and I suspect we would also have won atleast 1 WC and 1 Euros.

Bloke is a numb skull and just wont learn 

You know we just won right. Away from home against the other good team  in the group. 
    Yes ofcourse it is a great result I just dont get the Southgate love in. I appreciate I'm in the minority on here but I just think the last few years performances have been in spite of him and when the chips are down he costs us actually winning tournaments 
    I agree with you. I knew the second half would follow that pattern. Italy lack quality in front of goal but we did score two and should have got three and if a team like England do that, they will beat them. You have to see a pattern with the negativity which could cost us in tournaments. It isn't as if Southgate has poor players to pick from. We probably have as good as anybody in that respect.
    In some positions but by no means all, far from it.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    Nope but if had any brain or bravery he wouldn't revert everytime to trying to defend a lead when literally everyone knows defending isnt exactly our strong suit,  if he hadnt done that and just let the team.play to its strengths I would say the sudden death penalties wouldnt have happened. Oh and I suspect we would also have won atleast 1 WC and 1 Euros.

Deranged
    You really think that ? 
    Look at the players he has had at his disposal ? How anyone can say he hasnt cost us tournies is beyond me.he is tactically braindead and will always revert to a defensive mindset when in a winning position relying on our weaknesses made even worse by insanely starting players who have played more minutes for England than they have their clubs. Yes we will qualify for the Euros but I bet we will lose it from being in a winning position and in control of the game. I give the bloke credit for sorting out the shitshow he inherited and creating the morale that exists now but he will never win anything

Really? I think that we are pretty limited, especially when you look at central defence.

It's not as if top English players are that numerous in Premier League. I do think that he should consider some other players we have playing in the other leagues overseas though.
  • Options
    Offensively and in midfield we have genuine riches.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Deranged
    You really think that ? 
    Look at the players he has had at his disposal ? How anyone can say he hasnt cost us tournies is beyond me.he is tactically braindead and will always revert to a defensive mindset when in a winning position relying on our weaknesses made even worse by insanely starting players who have played more minutes for England than they have their clubs. Yes we will qualify for the Euros but I bet we will lose it from being in a winning position and in control of the game. I give the bloke credit for sorting out the shitshow he inherited and creating the morale that exists now but he will never win anything

Yeah, we should just go back to doing what we did before when we let Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and the rest play to their strengths. Oh wait. The problem with England fans is they always want the thing that's different to what they're getting. We haven't won anything since 1966 and I swear it's karma for the kind of fans we have. Southgate has now won 50 games as England manager, reached the World Cup semi-finals for the first time since 1990 and only the third time in the country's history, reached the final of the Euros for the first time ever, narrowly losing on penalties and has never done worse than a quarter final. The facts are there, no-one has been more successful than Southgate since Sir Alf Ramsey, but there's this idiotic idea that all the things we do to get to these late-stage matches don't count for anything (anyone could have done that!) and then when we don't win there's these hilarious, genuinely pathetic tantruming that a fictional manager could have won it with the apparently genius players at his disposal. There's a reason Southgate plays a consistent way with a consistent team and that's because it consistently gets results. We've done the best we've done since the 60s, we've just beaten Italy away from home but AndyG(!) thinks Southgate is 'braindead' because he had to be all sad when Saka missed that penalty. I honestly hope we sack Southgate and go back to picking flavour of the month players, playing random tactical styles and bombing out of tournaments early every year after a fraught qualifying period. It will be hilarious. There's a lack of logic attached to seeing someone take England further than they've gone in decades and somehow convincing yourself that it had nothing to do with the manager and if Steve Evans had had that mighty Jordan Pickford and John Stones he would have done the same that I just can't help you with. I hope Southgate takes the millions he's earned from making England quite good for once, sticks his feet up in front of a TV ahead of the next tournament he's not in charge of and laughs and laughs and laughs.
    Can we get a promote. Absolutely nailed.
  • Options
    The one element I do struggle with the concept that we have players in our team who aren't regular starters for their clubs. We are virtually three quarters of the way through the season and yet Maguire, with just 5 PL starts and Phillips with 56 minutes in total in the PL played the full game. How can they be expected to be up with the pace for 90 minutes when they aren't trusted to do that for their club at the highest level of football available to them? 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Deranged
    You really think that ? 

Yeah, we should just go back to doing what we did before when we let Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and the rest play to their strengths. Oh wait. The problem with England fans is they always want the thing that's different to what they're getting. We haven't won anything since 1966 and I swear it's karma for the kind of fans we have. Southgate has now won 50 games as England manager, reached the World Cup semi-finals for the first time since 1990 and only the third time in the country's history, reached the final of the Euros for the first time ever, narrowly losing on penalties and has never done worse than a quarter final. The facts are there, no-one has been more successful than Southgate since Sir Alf Ramsey, but there's this idiotic idea that all the things we do to get to these late-stage matches don't count for anything (anyone could have done that!) and then when we don't win there's these hilarious, genuinely pathetic tantruming that a fictional manager could have won it with the apparently genius players at his disposal. There's a reason Southgate plays a consistent way with a consistent team and that's because it consistently gets results. We've done the best we've done since the 60s, we've just beaten Italy away from home but AndyG(!) thinks Southgate is 'braindead' because he had to be all sad when Saka missed that penalty. I honestly hope we sack Southgate and go back to picking flavour of the month players, playing random tactical styles and bombing out of tournaments early every year after a fraught qualifying period. It will be hilarious. There's a lack of logic attached to seeing someone take England further than they've gone in decades and somehow convincing yourself that it had nothing to do with the manager and if Steve Evans had had that mighty Jordan Pickford and John Stones he would have done the same that I just can't help you with. I hope Southgate takes the millions he's earned from making England quite good for once, sticks his feet up in front of a TV ahead of the next tournament he's not in charge of and laughs and laughs and laughs.
    Can we get a promote. Absolutely nailed.
    It's a brilliant post and would be promoted worthy if he could find the 

Button.
  • Options
    Not in the 3 we don't.  We don't have any serious competition for Rice and it's either Phillips or Henderson or move Bellingham back, which would be a mistake, to fit a "10" in.

Full back and wide forwards we have an embarrassment of riches.  Keeper, center half, center mid and even center foward we are a bit lacking in either quality or depth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can only beat what’s in front of you and we did comfortably with a little wobble (cheers Ref) 
    This is a pony Italy who got beaten at home by North Macedonia to fail to make the World Cup last year .
    We are a top top team who could win the Euros or World Cup but so far have fallen short but not by much .

• Options
    You can only beat what’s in front of you and we did comfortably with a little wobble (cheers Ref) 
    This is a pony Italy who got beaten at home by North Macedonia to fail to make the World Cup last year .
    We are a top top team who could win the Euros or World Cup but so far have fallen short but not by much .

Stating the obvious but there are probably 4 or 5 other European countries that feel the same and 3 or 4, maybe all 5, won't win the euros.  Add Brazil and Argentina on for a world cup and that's basically the quater finals.

Not winning a tournament isn't a failer.
  • Options
    We haven’t won a match in a major tourney for over 20 odd years when we weren’t favourites , we have lost a few when we were favourite to win them 
  • Options
    I assume most of the team probably think Maguire should not be playing;  may be allowing Phillips a bit more of a free.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    First team we've beaten in the FIFA top 10 rankings under Southgate?
    Didn't we best Spain etc in that first Nations League?  The one tome Southgate went really attacking for a week or so?
    Apart from the France game where he went 433, we had over 50% of the possession and lost because we missed a penalty?  Plus he made 3 or 4 attacking substitutions.

Or the world cup games we scored 6 in?

But that was the one week?

I am convinced a lot of people are so down on Southgate and most of them don't even know why.  Not winning the world cup is hardly a reason.
    Would you say we were "really attacking" v France?

That first Nations league we had two away games when we were really attacking and exciting, was the best I'd seen us play in years, and we beat teams in the top 10 in the rankings which I was saying a positive thing.
  • Options
    We haven’t won a match in a major tourney for over 20 odd years when we weren’t favourites , we have lost a few when we were favourite to win them 
    When did we win a knock out game we weren't favourites for? 

Maybe Belgium or Cameroon in 90?  Certainly not 88, 86, 82, 82, the 70s, 66 or 62.

The penalty shootout outs, the absolute freak goals, the stupid 82 format and us not turning up at all.  Have contributed far more to us not winning anything than Southgate has.

With Southgate we have never won the lottery but we have bought 3, almost certainly 4, tickets.  That's more than any other manager in most of life times.

• Options
    We 100% have to improve our knockout record. That’s an absolute given. However, knockout football rests on such small margins and there is no standout teams. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Not in the 3 we don't.  We don't have any serious competition for Rice and it's either Phillips or Henderson or move Bellingham back, which would be a mistake, to fit a "10" in.

Full back and wide forwards we have an embarrassment of riches.  Keeper, center half, center mid and even center foward we are a bit lacking in either quality or depth.
    If you are negatively minded you have a point. I think both Henderson and Rice are good enough not to need a Phillips. Eice first choice for me and if he is injured Henderson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    When did we win a knock out game we weren't favourites for? 

Maybe Belgium or Cameroon in 90?  Certainly not 88, 86, 82, 82, the 70s, 66 or 62.

The penalty shootout outs, the absolute freak goals, the stupid 82 format and us not turning up at all.  Have contributed far more to us not winning anything than Southgate has.

With Southgate we have never won the lottery but we have bought 3, almost certainly 4, tickets.  That's more than any other manager in most of life times.

We were favourites v Croatia and lost in the semi
    favourites against Italy in the final and lost albeit in a shootout but they were there for the taking 

we done what we had to with more than favourable draws in both those competitions 

France wasn’t a surprise and expected 

we have had our chances but didn’t take them 

Southgate has done well with a decent bunch and some favourable draws , no more than I’d have expected and yes we have failed miserably in the past , so kudos for Southgate for not falling in to that trap .

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

If you are negatively minded you have a point. I think both Henderson and Rice are good enough not to need a Phillips. Eice first choice for me and if he is injured Henderson.
    Yeah so your playing Bellingham and Rice OR Henderson and who? 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    The best five teams in world football currently are Argentina, France, Brazil, England and the Netherlands.

I’d say we’re in quite a good place.
  • Options
    The best five teams in world football currently are Argentina, France, Brazil, England and the Netherlands.

I’d say we’re in quite a good place.
    We are in a good place and the players are maturing all the time.
    It will be a crying shame if this group and Gareth don't win a tournament, but sometimes you need a bit of luck to pull off the main prize (eg the Dutch of 74/78).
    At least watching England is fun again.
    I don't ever remember us dominating an Italian team like we did in that first half in all my 70 odd years.
    Have that!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Personally, I'd play Grealish there. He puts in a shift and wins lots of fouls. Then you can fit in Rashford or Foden.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Personally, I'd play Grealish there. He puts in a shift and wins lots of fouls. Then you can fit in Rashford or Foden.
    When has Grealish played centre mid at any level?
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited March 2023
    Personally, I think we’re blessed with a really good group of players. Look how England performed in the younger age groups over the past few years as a lot of these players were coming through. You could see the quality just oozing through. 

Today was very similar to the Euro final a couple of years ago. Strolling it at HT and struggling in the 2nd. In both cases we played differently in the 2nd half. More negative. More cautious. Does this come from the Management or players? I would say the Management. 

I would hate to lose this opportunity of, possibly, being the best in the World for a while. I do believe we have the players. I’m not sure if we have the coach.