Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers | Saturday 25th March 2023

Comments

• Options
    I thought we played very well and was probably one of the best 90minutes showing off the season. We needed a second goal but never took the chances which came. plenty of positives for me.

The only real discussion about that game was Holden decision to not use any subs. Personally, think he got it correct. Would Payne for Campbell or Killkenny for Morgan have made a difference to the result, I don’t think so.

• Options
    If you can’t win, don’t lose…
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Decent performance against a "better" team than us, although they weren't better on the day.
    I thought it would be 1-1 and it was, so reasonably happy with that. A fair score.
  • Options
    Don’t get how people think that was one of Morgan’s better games ……..
  • Options
    Up to 16 pigeons at times moving from one end to the other. At one time they actually flew up , done a full 360 and landed in exactly the same place the other end. I suspect some seeding has been done.
    Unbelievable save just before the goal. Campbell will be another player who runs very fast. Hector looks promising. Overall not a bad performance. I got a parking ticket £65.00. I thought Clare had a good game and Leaburn didn’t. Just shows you how you can be off the pace when you get to my age.
  • Options
    Because his standard is generally very low.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Overall I thought that was better shame we never held on for the win but happy with our performance still some work to be done but we turned up & gave it a real go 
    Onward & upward Come On You Reds  B)
    Still some work to be done? I hope we haven't started the work that needs to be done yet.
    Did you not feel their was a improvement in the side IMO if we had played like this more over the season we would be in or near the playoff position 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Thought he was hopeless 2nd half, despite a decent first. And, though it's not cool to agree with Ronnie, he is hugely culpable for the goal, as he's clearly been told to cover that post.

The highlight for me was Campbell. First time I've seen his potential to really cut it at senior level. That said, MoM was probably Maynard-Brewer. 
    Agree with you about Campbell , I would imagine next year he will be our replacement for JRS. 

Did anyone notice Henry on the Bench . Shirt on in the second half getting a briefing to come on .then sat back on the bench when they equalised. Then back up getting a briefing again with a few mins to go , and then sat back down again. 

That third midfield berth is our problem at the moment. Morgan doesn’t do it for me , Henry is a deep lying midfielder , haven’t we got any Box to Box guys in the 21’s that could make that place their own ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Overall I thought that was better shame we never held on for the win but happy with our performance still some work to be done but we turned up & gave it a real go 
    Still some work to be done? I hope we haven't started the work that needs to be done yet.
    Did you not feel their was a improvement in the side IMO if we had played like this more over the season we would be in or near the playoff position 
    Yes, but it's paper thin. We still look like conceding against any strong attack, and are still too predictable up front. Plus the midfield is a long way from being sorted. I think Holden's done a great job of turning this lot into a team that deserves a top half finish, but that’s their limit currently. 
  • Options
    Moment of madness from Alfie Morgan cost us the three points the
    performance deserved today … 
    Pray tell. What moment was that?
    Raising his arms to push an opponent in front of our bench. Pointless and could have got a red instead of a yellow.

We need a proper No. 10 and it ain't Albie.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Yes, but it's paper thin. We still look like conceding against any strong attack, and are still too predictable up front. Plus the midfield is a long way from being sorted. I think Holden's done a great job of turning this lot into a team that deserves a top half finish, but that’s their limit currently. 

Takes time to bring a side that's been struggling back up to scratch & we have some in the squad still not playing well enough but I come away today felling so much better about our play
      that's 7 points out of 9 just the lift us & the team all needed I don't know about you but I am now looking forward to our next game rather then dreading it 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I think it's worth looking at the age of our front three and how many games they have between them. Wycombe were missing their front two today and were probably only going to score from a set piece. Our front three looked a threat all afternoon, it may disappoint people with the result but Charlton's youth will get better and certainly be more enjoyable to watch than some of the recent dross.  
    But sadly unless we get a new owner in who is prepared to fund properly a club losing £8 million a year, we won't get to watch our talented youth players as they will be sold to fund our losses.

Can you really see Leaburn being here next season to lead our line?
  • Options
    Thought Albie had a decent game.It is obvious that not all of his long passes will come off,but he played some real beauties today.Over all we played ok but could have done with fresh legs for the last 10 minutes.Hector and Inniss look a good pairing but we are never far from a coronary inducing moment.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Up to 16 pigeons at times moving from one end to the other. At one time they actually flew up , done a full 360 and landed in exactly the same place the other end. I suspect some seeding has been done.
    Unbelievable save just before the goal. Campbell will be another player who runs very fast. Hector looks promising. Overall not a bad performance. I got a parking ticket £65.00. I thought Clare had a good game and Leaburn didn’t. Just shows you how you can be off the pace when you get to my age.
    Traffic warden played a blinder. Sympathies that's a lot of money.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I think it's worth looking at the age of our front three and how many games they have between them. Wycombe were missing their front two today and were probably only going to score from a set piece. Our front three looked a threat all afternoon, it may disappoint people with the result but Charlton's youth will get better and certainly be more enjoyable to watch than some of the recent dross.  
    But which clubs' fans will be able to appreciate that?
  • Options
    Thought Albie had a decent game.It is obvious that not all of his long passes will come off,but he played some real beauties today.Over all we played ok but could have done with fresh legs for the last 10 minutes.Hector and Inniss look a good pairing but we are never far from a coronary inducing moment.
    Sorry can’t agree with this. Played the usual few Hollywood balls which are great.  Passed to the opposition frequently. Completely mis hit the first chance of the game when he was unmarked on the edge of the box. Fouled unnecessarily and frequently . Was at fault for their goal as he was on the post, vacated his position and the ball went where he was supposed to be. 

Agree that Innis and Hector look a good pair, Innis has been markedly better since he has been paired with Hector. Perhaps it takes the pressure off a bit. 
  • Options
    Mildly entertaining game, neither team deserved to win although their need was greater. For us, our passing was woeful at times, too much going backwards for my liking, Campbell impressed first half but faded second, Leaburn battled away well, AMB did well, the rest were a bit meh, sorry but I just don't get Morgan, a couple of worldy cross field balls but the rest of his game was awful. Dont hate him but just don't see what he brings to the table. 
    I know you'll love them. Courtesy of us both :

• Options
    We battled but we get bullied to easy in midfield, and simply can’t defend corners properly. However some positive performances in amongst it all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A sort of watchable game for once.

Hector looks like he may have another couple of gears but I doubt he'll stay with us for next season. 

Leaburn got a goal (may have been offside) and had a good strong 2nd half header but went for long periods not touching the ball. On the whole though, he's doing fine.

Campbell is going to be good for us, as is AMB.

Refreshing in a way not to have to endure untold meaningless subs (that often make us worse). Just shows....players can do 90 mins. 
  • Options
    Fair result. Never kicked on enough from the last 30 minutes of the first half into the second half. Could also see them scoring and once again a free header from a set piece. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Thought he was hopeless 2nd half, despite a decent first. And, though it's not cool to agree with Ronnie, he is hugely culpable for the goal, as he's clearly been told to cover that post.

The highlight for me was Campbell. First time I've seen his potential to really cut it at senior level. That said, MoM was probably Maynard-Brewer. 
    I really like Campbell. I’m a sucker for a winger so maybe I’m not a good judge, but I think he’s got the potential to at make it at (at least) this level. 

Maynard-Brewer has a very high ceiling. I hope we can keep him for a couple more years but he will one day be moving on to bigger and better things, of that I’m sure. 
  • Options
    Because his standard is generally very low.
    He’s atrocious. 
  • Options
    Sorry can’t agree with this. Played the usual few Hollywood balls which are great.  Passed to the opposition frequently. Completely mis hit the first chance of the game when he was unmarked on the edge of the box. Fouled unnecessarily and frequently . Was at fault for their goal as he was on the post, vacated his position and the ball went where he was supposed to be. 

Agree that Innis and Hector look a good pair, Innis has been markedly better since he has been paired with Hector. Perhaps it takes the pressure off a bit. 
    Spot on re Morgan.
  • Options
    Good bits ; Tyreece Campbell, Ashley (of course), our strength is on both wings, 
    Bad bits: Morgan’s first half performance; trying to pass it around our goal area (we are not Man City);
    Also Wycombe aren’t very good
  • Options
    Clare was at fault for the equaliser, he is so not a good defender. 
    He was "marking" the goal scorer and let him go unchallenged for no good reason, other than the scorer was determined and Clare wasn't. Pathetic defending again. 
    Yeah I would agree.

I’m normally a big critic of Morgan, but I’m not sure he could have done too much to stop the ball crossing the line. The damage was already done by letting their player get what looked like an unchallenged header in the box.