Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers | Saturday 25th March 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Didn’t deserve to win after choosing to swap ends and shoot towards the covered end first half. Criminal! 
  • Options
    Can't stand Wycombe..one of those teams you know..

There were good passages of play today going forward and we do have some talent here for sure.

Off the ball though..our shape was awful today and looked so shaky..more so than usual. 

One thing I feel needs looking at is our fitness...aware DH didn't make subs but we looked lethargic pretty early I felt. Understand it's a long season but other teams seem so much fitter and I feel that's where teams who aren't maybe as talented footballing wise, beat us through sheer hard work. 

It's a point and maybe something to build on but genuinely feel an in-form Shrewsbury will be a tougher test. 

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Didn’t deserve to win after choosing to swap ends and shoot towards the covered end first half. Criminal! 
     Wycombe choice after winning the toss.
  • Options
    cblock said:
    NabySarr said:
     Wycombe choice after winning the toss.
    Wycombe kicked off, so we won the toss and chose to change ends. Sun was in the keepers eyes so it was probably fair enough but still annoying 
  • Options
    We never do well attacking the covered End first half, atmosphere is always flat, apologies as I did'nt notice they kicked off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There were good passages of play today going forward and we do have some talent here for sure.

Off the ball though..our shape was awful today and looked so shaky..more so than usual. 

One thing I feel needs looking at is our fitness...aware DH didn't make subs but we looked lethargic pretty early I felt. Understand it's a long season but other teams seem so much fitter and I feel that's where teams who aren't maybe as talented footballing wise, beat us through sheer hard work. 

It's a point and maybe something to build on but genuinely feel an in-form Shrewsbury will be a tougher test. 

He's playing Morgan because Kilkenny & Payne are worse. 
  • Options

Didnt mention Morgan 😂
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Thought Albie had a decent game.It is obvious that not all of his long passes will come off,but he played some real beauties today.Over all we played ok but could have done with fresh legs for the last 10 minutes.Hector and Inniss look a good pairing but we are never far from a coronary inducing moment.

Agree that Innis and Hector look a good pair, Innis has been markedly better since he has been paired with Hector. Perhaps it takes the pressure off a bit. 
    Think maybe Inniss has improved since he was paired with Ness. He seemed to enjoy taking the newbie under his wing, but oddly, Ness’s calmness helped his mentor. Agree that Inniss and Hector are a decent pairing. Both will make the odd mistake of course. More than Ness will perhaps. 

Albie’s game was similar to Charlton’s today. Some good moments, but some howlers too. 
    How did he miss what was virtually an open goal in the first half? Why did he push that guy over in front of our bench? Why did he keep giving the ball away? And even the goal came from a mis hit shot. But he did pop up with some good tackles, and worked hard. Is that enough though?

Clare had a few minutes where everything went totally Pete Tong. Didn’t he twice hit the ball straight out of play, and one free kick straight to the opposition? That’s out of character for him. 

AM-B pulled off one of the best saves I’ve ever seen  live. [Edit: it didn’t look quite as good on tv, oddly].  He’s a seriously good keeper, and we’ll be lucky to hang on to him for long. 

And as most have said, Campbell just keeps improving. He had his full back on toast all afternoon, and in a year or so could develop into some player. 

Otherwise it was all a bit ordinary. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Thought Albie had a decent game.It is obvious that not all of his long passes will come off,but he played some real beauties today.Over all we played ok but could have done with fresh legs for the last 10 minutes.Hector and Inniss look a good pairing but we are never far from a coronary inducing moment.

Agree that Innis and Hector look a good pair, Innis has been markedly better since he has been paired with Hector. Perhaps it takes the pressure off a bit. 
    Think maybe Inniss has improved since he was paired with Ness. He seemed to enjoy taking the newbie under his wing, but oddly, Ness’s calmness helped his mentor. Agree that Inniss and Hector are a decent pairing. Both will make the odd mistake of course. More than Ness will perhaps. 
    Albie’s game was similar to Charlton’s today. Some good moments, but some howlers too. 
    How did he miss what was virtually an open goal in the first half? Why did he push that guy over in front of our bench? Why did he keep giving the ball away? And even the goal came from a mis hit shot. But he did pop up with some good tackles, and worked hard. Is that enough though?
    Clare had a few minutes where everything went totally Pete Tong. Didn’t he twice hit the ball straight out of play, and one free kick straight to the opposition? That’s out of character for him. 
    AM-B pulled off one of the best saves I’ve ever seen  live. It looked a goal all the way, and how he got there I’ll never know. (Excuse the clichés). He’s a seriously good keeper, and we’ll be lucky to hang on to him for long. 
    And as most have said, Campbell just keeps improving. He had his full back on toast all afternoon, and in a year or so could develop into some player. 
    The cutback to him wasn't great though, it seemed fired into his feet rather than being in front of him to run onto. Having watched both the Sky and ITV highlights, neither showed that incident, suggesting they didn't consider it a major moment.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

AM-B pulled off one of the best saves I’ve ever seen  live. It looked a goal all the way, and how he got there I’ll never know. (Excuse the clichés). He’s a seriously good keeper, and we’ll be lucky to hang on to him for long. 
    The cutback to him wasn't great though, it seemed fired into his feet rather than being in front of him to run onto. Having watched both the Sky and ITV highlights, neither showed that incident, suggesting they didn't consider it a major moment.
    I was behind the goal, and it looked easier to score than miss. But it was quite a pacey pass, agreed. Albie is our most frustrating player. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Does appear that a few never have much good to say about Albie. Personally I thought he put a good shift in and as is quite often instrumental in us scoring. In comparison Fraser looked like he couldn't be bothered and stood around watching most of the time. We can all probably agree Albie has the wrong number on the back of his shirt but we shouldn't judge his performance by the number.

• Options
    Telling that DH made no subs - a message about fitness to the team in the week he said next season is about players who can do it Sat / Tue/ Sat?

I quite enjoyed today - plenty of effort all round. 

Am I allowed to say that imo the ref was racist? Quick to book our (black) players but otherwise lenient until it all fired up towards the end?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Telling that DH made no subs - a message about fitness to the team in the week he said next season is about players who can do it Sat / Tue/ Sat?

I quite enjoyed today - plenty of effort all round. 

Am I allowed to say that imo the ref was racist? Quick to book our (black) players but otherwise lenient until it all fired up towards the end?
    After about 70 mins I said to my mate @blockhead ‘bout time he brought on some subs.’  He said ‘which subs would you bring on that would improve things?’  Good point. Couldn’t think of one. 

Just saw that Bolton went up one place in the league despite not playing. 
  • Options
    I thought the ref was ok first half but second half crawled into Wycombe's pocket. I hate Wycombe. A total anti-football team. They cleaned out 3 of ours but by then we had 4 yellow and they had none?  I want us to be good enough to put crap like Wycombe to the sword. Constant niggly play, fouls that the ref never gave, retaliation he never saw (this does sound like it was the ref who was the problem).
    At least we didn't lose. But the ref was awful. Wycombe were awful. Charlton? Well the word entertainment ought to feature at some point. 
    Dirty northern bastards

• Options
    So bored. So meh. So pointless. The lack of comments on this thread shows everyone thinks so too. I couldn't be arsed going to go to the draw against the mighty Accrington Stanley but got persuaded to go to day... Anything thinking of going next Saturday to see us grind out a draw against stellar Shrewsbury is either insane/stupid/has no life/no mates.
    I'll be going, but hey, I do score 3 outta 4 on your index.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So bored. So meh. So pointless. The lack of comments on this thread shows everyone thinks so too. I couldn't be arsed going to go to the draw against the mighty Accrington Stanley but got persuaded to go to day... Anything thinking of going next Saturday to see us grind out a draw against stellar Shrewsbury is either insane/stupid/has no life/no mates.
    Doomer by name doomer by nature
  • Options
    Sorry can’t agree with this. Played the usual few Hollywood balls which are great.  Passed to the opposition frequently. Completely mis hit the first chance of the game when he was unmarked on the edge of the box. Fouled unnecessarily and frequently . Was at fault for their goal as he was on the post, vacated his position and the ball went where he was supposed to be. 

I think people overlook the importance of a two man team in that central defensive role. Where they work as a team, one comfortable in committing to an action with the other covering him then it works better. One of the best examples I’ve ever seen is the pairing we saw when Jorge costa played alongside Fortune and they seem to know each other’s strengths and fortune could do the running about bit and Costa simply mopped up everything that was a danger after that.

I thought Morgan was having a good game yesterday but something happened when he got booked and his body language just looked like the life had been drained out of him. I suspect I wasn’t the only one to notice something looked wrong because a few players looked like they were trying to boost his spirit afterwards. Personally, I would have taken him off at that point.
  • Options
    I'm baffled by the attacks on Morgan on this thread. I must have been watching a different game, as I saw someone who never hid, did plenty of defensive work, had a couple of excellent "Hollywood" balls to set JRS up on dangerous breaks and was instrumental in our goal. 

Maybe he isn't good enough for a promotion seeking side, but today was perfectly ok when you compare his performance with some of the others on the pitch today. It's as if certain individuals are desperate to see Albie make mistakes, but ignore the ones others make. I'd love to see the player stats in terms of distance covered, passes, tackles and interceptions.
    Morgan is bit of an enigma for me.
    Of the "central midfielders" he is the most energetic, decent speed. Capable of superb cross field balls, also capable of not getting the ball over the first defender on free kicks and corners. Shooting -erratic(todays shot was missing but converted by Leaburn).
    Tackling- abit lightweight?
    On the positive the 2 best goals of the season for me involved him ( not one man shots but involving team work).
    I wish someone could tell him to think football more, maybe try bit less.
  • Options

Didnt mention Morgan 😂
    Yes, sorry I quoted the wrong comment.
  • Options
     I was not surprised he did not make substitutions yesterday. Given the expert way Wycombe played a dirty niggling game I saw no one on the bench who had the experience or the temperament to handle that type of game yesterday.
    Bone was probably the only one who might have coped but would add nothing to going forward in such a game,
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I think it's worth looking at the age of our front three and how many games they have between them. Wycombe were missing their front two today and were probably only going to score from a set piece. Our front three looked a threat all afternoon, it may disappoint people with the result but Charlton's youth will get better and certainly be more enjoyable to watch than some of the recent dross.  
    But sadly unless we get a new owner in who is prepared to fund properly a club losing £8 million a year, we won't get to watch our talented youth players as they will be sold to fund our losses.

Can you really see Leaburn being here next season to lead our line?
    In the case of Leaburn, yes I can. Assuming this takeover happens, it's unlikely that a new owner would immediately sell his prize asset, although it has happened before with Yann, a few weeks into Duchatelet's reign. There is a message that the new owner needs to send out, if he wants to get the fans backing and their hard earned cash, it will be difficult enough to set the pricing at the gate and selling our one consistent goal scorer would surely blow that out of the water. There will be other departures before Leaburn and there certainly need to be incomings before sales. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    When was the last time Charlton didn't make a sub? (i.e. before yesterday) 
  • Options
    The game and the season summed up in just 3 pages of comments.  We need to be able to defend corners and crosses/keep a clean sheet.