Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers | Saturday 25th March 2023

124»

Comments

• Options
    It's not actually too bad a result. There's a tendency to summarise the season, rather than the actual game these days.
  • Options
    Better result than I had anticipated with Wycombe having more to play for. Delighted for Miles and Campbell finding his feet nicely - very direct and dangerous. AMB is simply excellent and I hope we get to see him all of next season. Overall, no complaints, our form has improved. 
  • Options
    I thought a draw was a fair result apart from the normal heroes nobody covered themselves in glory. As has been said before this season is finished build for next from now on
  • Options
    Can’t understand how up until the 90 minute, we had 4 bookings and they had none. 
    Because when it comes to gamesmanship we are truly awful - not sure this is a bad thing, but some of our opponents have got it down to a fine art.  
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Clare should not have let their man get as easy a run at the ball as he did.

I do wonder if Terrell Thomas had been playing, would that have been his man? As it was, Clare was the taller of the two full backs and so he was matched up on the bloke.

Will have to go back and watch again because I’d have expected our centre backs to go mark their two centre backs. 

Curious to know who Inniss and Hector were marking. Possibly Hanlon and Tafazolli?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Clare should not have let their man get as easy a run at the ball as he did.

I do wonder if Terrell Thomas had been playing, would that have been his man? As it was, Clare was the taller of the two full backs and so he was matched up on the bloke.

Will have to go back and watch again because I’d have expected our centre backs to go mark their two centre backs. 

Curious to know who Inniss and Hector were marking. Possibly Hanlon and Tafazolli?
    Sorry to say Hector was marking nobody presumably as the spare man, but just stood there in the six yard box watching everything, instead of attacking the ball, apart from that he had a good game..
  • Options
    I'm baffled by the attacks on Morgan on this thread. I must have been watching a different game, as I saw someone who never hid, did plenty of defensive work, had a couple of excellent "Hollywood" balls to set JRS up on dangerous breaks and was instrumental in our goal. 

Maybe he isn't good enough for a promotion seeking side, but today was perfectly ok when you compare his performance with some of the others on the pitch today. It's as if certain individuals are desperate to see Albie make mistakes, but ignore the ones others make. I'd love to see the player stats in terms of distance covered, passes, tackles and interceptions.
    Morgan played well, especially first half him and Clare worked well together on the right. Morgan does this every season though, draws you in to thinking next year is his year and that he we should keep him. He’s been good the last few games, but if we are serious about promotion he should not be starting and should be 4th/5th choice central midfielder or for his own good should be released 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Not sure about this bit @LouisMend: 'Albie Morgan made a late decision to drop towards the goal line but drifted beyond the post, allowing the ball to nestle in the net.' He was actually between the post but got his legs in a tangle when he should probably have been blocking or clearing the ball. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm confused about one moment in the game; AM-B's supersave. From upper covered end it looked like the ball was heading for the keeper's top right hand corner, but on the match highlights the shot was much lower and looked more save-able. Were they the same incident, or am I getting my wires crossed, and there were two great save? The short term memory may be letting me down possibly.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I'm confused about one moment in the game; AM-B's supersave. From upper covered end it looked like the ball was heading for the keeper's top right hand corner, but on the match highlights the shot was much lower and looked more save-able. Were they the same incident, or am I getting my wires crossed, and there were two great save? The short term memory may be letting me down possibly.
    There was an impressive save he made which led to the corner that they scored from. Is that the one you’re thinking of?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    There was an impressive save he made which led to the corner that they scored from. Is that the one you’re thinking of?
    Yes. I’ll check out the Charlton tv highlights. The ITV ones were very short. 

Edit: Yup highlights show the same save. It was a very good save, but it just goes to show you can't always believe your own eyes. It looked even better from the Upper CE, for some reason.
  • Options
    This game highlighted two areas we need to improve on next season. Firstly, the defence can't switch off. This has improved but still happens too often. Secondly we have to match the physicality of sides like Wycombe. 

We do seem to be getting better with 50:50s but Wycombe's game is centered around winning them and to a large part they did on Saturday. We had more skill and ability but they play the ball forward knowing if the ball doesn't go to one of their players, it will end up there within a touch or two.
  • Options
    Decent game lacked a bit of quality in the final third but played some nice football at times.

Albie's effort prior to the goal was as easy chance as I imagined? had him at 14/1 first GS so hoping it wasn't as easy as it looked.
  • Options
    Decent game lacked a bit of quality in the final third but played some nice football at times.

Albie's effort prior to the goal was as easy chance as I imagined? had him at 14/1 first GS so hoping it wasn't as easy as it looked.
    Looked pretty easy from behind the goal. But there was a bit of pace on the pass I guess. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    JamesSeed said:

Looked pretty easy from behind the goal. But there was a bit of pace on the pass I guess. 
    They always look easy from behind the goal... ;)
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    Clare was at fault for the equaliser, he is so not a good defender. 
    He was "marking" the goal scorer and let him go unchallenged for no good reason, other than the scorer was determined and Clare wasn't. Pathetic defending again. 
    He's not really a defender, but still, it was poor again by him. But then Morgan was supposed to be the man on the post where the ball ended up going in. But he decided to aimlessly wander off and then on realising he should go back, proceeded to just keep going. I hold them both equally responsible. In fact, I think I blame Morgan more as his job was to literally stand still and he managed to mess that up.
    The main mistake is allowing a big opposition centre back to have a free header. Terrible defending, considering the height and presence we have at the back. You can't allow someone to attack the ball under no pressure at all.

The player on the line is a backup, and will often fail to keep it out. Sometimes it falls kindly, other times it's out of reach. Imagine how difficult it would be a goalkeeper if you couldn't use your hands.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    LouisMend said:
    Not sure about this bit @LouisMend: 'Albie Morgan made a late decision to drop towards the goal line but drifted beyond the post, allowing the ball to nestle in the net.' He was actually between the post but got his legs in a tangle when he should probably have been blocking or clearing the ball. 
    Apologies - yes he was between the posts, but when I said he drifted beyond the post, that was because he started off marking the corner of the six-yard box before dropping in. So when he went beyond the post, he wasn't standing on it but a few yards past it nearer the goalkeeper. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Albie needs to use his brain a bit better there as body angle all wrong to make a goaline save. He's more likely to deflect something in!

Our big CBs should have dominated that corner better tbf to Albie. 
  • Options
    Blockhead said:
    Surprised that nobody has mentioned the pigeons. For me this was their best outing of the season. Ever since Holden arrived they've become a much more cohesive unit - sticking to their formation, moving seamlessly up and down the pitch together - and their disciplined pecking has actually improved the grass. At least they are one thing our once-mighty club can still be proud of.
    You definitely missed an opportunity to talk about the pecking order there...
  • Options
    Blockhead said:
    Surprised that nobody has mentioned the pigeons. For me this was their best outing of the season. Ever since Holden arrived they've become a much more cohesive unit - sticking to their formation, moving seamlessly up and down the pitch together - and their disciplined pecking has actually improved the grass. At least they are one thing our once-mighty club can still be proud of.
    Looking forward to Lineker, Shearer and Wrighty taking time to analyse the tactics used by our pigeons on Match of the Day when we reach the Premiership in two seasons time.
    Could the academy start a pigeon breeding programme to sell them on to other clubs to assist with pitch maintenance?

• Options
    I thought the pigeons got their tactics all wrong in the first 10 minutes. All the play was down the Jimmy Seed end leaving the Covered End half of the pitch completely exposed, yet they didn't take advantage of this. Very poor. 
  • Options
    I thought the pigeons got their tactics all wrong in the first 10 minutes. All the play was down the Jimmy Seed end leaving the Covered End half of the pitch completely exposed, yet they didn't take advantage of this. Very poor. 
    They are being Charltonised.
  • Options
    Well they were attracted by the Seed End !
    🤣🤣🤣