Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Assistant Referee who elbowed Robertson is a Charlton fan.

124»

Comments

• Options
    There are a few pundits out there who were calling for the linesman to be hung drawn and quartered on the half way line that will need to eat a bit of humble pie, Chris Sutton at the front of the queue
  • Options
    All a bit backwards this. The PR has clearly been rolled out so there's no villains; the officials apologise for any unintentional offence caused, the player accepts it immediately and everyone is mates. No controversy, move on. Really this should have been a conversation about the fact players are increasingly grabbing officials when they don't like what they've done, but the PL didn't want to make an example of a first team Liverpool player when they could just sweep it under the rug. It's happening a lot; when Bruno Fernandes was having his breakdown against Liverpool he shoved a linesman. No sanction. Robertson chases down and grabs a linesman at half time and somehow it's the linesman who is getting scrutinised. Mitrovic took it so ridiculously far that something had to be done but it's crazy that they don't seem to see that it's all coming from the same place of entitlement and lack of serious action being taken. Footballers will know that as long as you don't act like you're going to rip the ref's lungs out like Mitrovic did there's a threshold of physical intimidation you can apply to an official if you're annoyed or sad or having some kind of existential crisis like Fernandes. That then filters down the leagues to grass roots where there aren't cameras and millions watching to put a cap on the aggression and things get even worse for officials while the footballers get even more opportunities to behave like children. It's all very odd.
    Agreed - this was an ideal opportunity to address players' (unacceptable) behaviour. Is it less bad away from domestic leagues (especially the Premier League), in European and international games?

I remember having a conversation with Andy D'Urso about this - and that was over 20 years ago. And things have just got even worse
  • Options
    Whilst i do think it's the right decision and he clearly didn't mean to make contact with Robertson, i wonder what would've happened had this situation been the other way around. 

No way would Robertson have got away with no further action.
  • Options
    I think there has been a trend, not even a subtle one, for officials to be ‘worked on’.
    I once asked Karl Robinson if his attitude towards referees had ever gained him an advantage and he said ‘yeah, loads of times’ and he added that officials were people who had been ‘bullied at school’.
    When there have been injuries or drinks breaks in games you often see players around officials, and maybe the culture from the players and management is to wear down the officials.
    If the ‘Bielsa’ approach is anything to go by (plus the increasing commentary on the provenance of officials on forums) it wouldn’t surprise me if teams have ‘plans’ to work on referees that are as thought about and detailed as a set piece routine.
    The crucial question I would ask is what was Robertson hoping to achieve by approaching the linesman in the first place.
    I think officials can be better influenced by clubs and players having an upright sporting approach, all gentlemanly, all Chariots of Fire muscular sporting Christianity type of thing, where a player politely enquires of an official about the exact place for a free kick or throw, generally showing respect. 
    You’re much more likely to influence an official to your side by killing with kindness.
    The incident should pass by now, but there should be a law that distances players from officials in certain situations.
    I ask again, what was Robertson trying to achieve?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think there has been a trend, not even a subtle one, for officials to be ‘worked on’.
    I once asked Karl Robinson if his attitude towards referees had ever gained him an advantage and he said ‘yeah, loads of times’ and he added that officials were people who had been ‘bullied at school’.
    When there have been injuries or drinks breaks in games you often see players around officials, and maybe the culture from the players and management is to wear down the officials.
    If the ‘Bielsa’ approach is anything to go by (plus the increasing commentary on the provenance of officials on forums) it wouldn’t surprise me if teams have ‘plans’ to work on referees that are as thought about and detailed as a set piece routine.
    The crucial question I would ask is what was Robertson hoping to achieve by approaching the linesman in the first place.
    I think officials can be better influenced by clubs and players having an upright sporting approach, all gentlemanly, all Chariots of Fire muscular sporting Christianity type of thing, where a player politely enquires of an official about the exact place for a free kick or throw, generally showing respect. 
    You’re much more likely to influence an official to your side by killing with kindness.
    The incident should pass by now, but there should be a law that distances players from officials in certain situations.
    I ask again, what was Robertson trying to achieve?
    The thing is, this just isn't true in football. Officials are determined in their role to make correct decisions. Liking you won't influence that, they won't give you a borderline decision because you're their mate, that's corrupt. What can happen though is they can be unintentionally influenced by stress, fear and doubt. Officials have stated before that it's impossible not to be influenced by players' and crowds' reactions to decisions. If a ref misses something that the stadium thinks should be a red or makes an obvious mistake then they're more likely to give future decisions the way of the wronged team, usually the home team, because of the pressure they get from them. Robertson knew exactly what he was doing; the crowd were riled up after Xhaka didn't get a red card and Robertson decided he was going to go after the linesman, tell him he was wrong and as a result get the Liverpool fans at Anfield screaming at him as well. Maybe then they get away with something that the linesman doesn't want to flag later because it's a tight call and he's had doubt put in his mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hmmn.
    In terms of borderline decisions it may be possible to get a yellow rather than a red card if the ref thinks you’re mainly a good guy.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Alex Ferguson was a bully: To his own
    Players, match officials and journalists. 
    When a young Ref gave the first penalty against United at Old Trafford for about 3 years, Ferguson's Rottweiler Roy Keene, and a few lap dogs surrounded the Referee and he was totally intimidated.

Fergie time was apply named when there was always more time added on if United weren't already winning.

My son showed me a clip last month where a ref who was surrounded by player's, kneed one player in the nuts ! 
    This may be the way forward for officials.

• Options
    Doesnt help that there is no doubt a gulf in Salary... Had Con been sacked as an Official over it I imagine he'd be screwed.

Whats the worst that'll happen to a player if they do it...

Well Mitrovic has an eight match ban, and basically has eight weeks (outside of training) to put his feet up

Thankfully the FA have sided with the official in this case, but proves more needs to be done

They genuinely need to sit down with both Robertson and Con, and find out what happened, not for punishment reasons, but so they can improve from this - If its a case that Robertson simply had the red mist from an earlier incident, fine, it happens - But in which case harsh rules need to be implemented saying that an official cant be approached on the field once the whistle has been blown, even if it means doing away with the gentlemanly handshakes. Because often even that is used as an excuse by players / managers to go scream and rant in their faces.
  • Options
    Whilst i do think it's the right decision and he clearly didn't mean to make contact with Robertson, i wonder what would've happened had this situation been the other way around. 

No way would Robertson have got away with no further action.
    Hmm, if an official shouted abuse at a player, chased after him and grabbed him, would you expect action to be taken against him?

• Options
    Doesnt help that there is no doubt a gulf in Salary... Had Con been sacked as an Official over it I imagine he'd be screwed.

Well Mitrovic has an eight match ban, and basically has eight weeks (outside of training) to put his feet up

Thankfully the FA have sided with the official in this case, but proves more needs to be done

They genuinely need to sit down with both Robertson and Con, and find out what happened, not for punishment reasons, but so they can improve from this - If its a case that Robertson simply had the red mist from an earlier incident, fine, it happens - But in which case harsh rules need to be implemented saying that an official cant be approached on the field once the whistle has been blown, even if it means doing away with the gentlemanly handshakes. Because often even that is used as an excuse by players / managers to go scream and rant in their faces.
     .. the law should read that if a player touches a match official be it in a friendly or hostile manner, the player will be sent off .. same goes for club officials .. simple as 
  • Options

He got fined 75k which will take him about 10 days to pay. I bet he's gutted.
  • Options
    I think players need to know there is a line in terms of certain behaviours and when they cross it they will have the book thrown at them. In terms of Mitrovic, I think when the punishment is handed out, the effect of that punishment should be considered. Fulham are not fighting for Europe or against relegation so the ban is pretty much meaningless. If in this sort of situation, the ban was applied to the start of next season it would suddenly be more meaningful.
  • Options

He will miss out on appearance money and bonuses!
  • Options
    I have some info on this!  I’ve always wanted to be a charlton life ITK on something..

The ref is a good friend of a good friend of mine.  He isn’t really a charlton fan, his brother is, although charlton is his team from what I gather but isn’t that arsed.  

He wasn’t worried about this incident at all knew it was a storm in a tea cup, and what I can say is Robertson was in his ear and on his case for the entirety of the first half, and it was just a simple “oh leave me alone ffs” type nudge, nothing more.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

He will miss out on appearance money and bonuses!
    Now where did I leave my tiny violin ;)