Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Milton Keynes Dons vs Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 18th April 2023 | KO 7:45 PM

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2023
    From the MK Dons forum

It was disappointing but Charlton looked a very good side. They will be right in the mix for promotion next session if they keep the core of that squad together. I thought Payne looked fantastic.

Mmmm, maybe we are missing something ;)... mind you when you compare with their lot who were terrible we did look ok, and Payne did have a good game...so everything's relevant...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    I just came on hear to read all the superlatives about Payne. Yes, he took his goal well and had a decent game (more so in the 2nd half), but overall I still don't think he has the required standard to be anymore than a squad player in a mid-table team and certainly nowhere near a squad that has ambitions of promotion. 

The ref was a complete joke and reminded me of when I used to play Sunday league and no ref was appointed, so the home manager would step in and give every 50-50 decision for his team. 

In a nutshell, a poor game where we were the better team on the night. It won't live long in the memory.
  • Options
    From the MK Dons forum

It was disappointing but Charlton looked a very good side. They will be right in the mix for promotion next session if they keep the core of that squad together. I thought Payne looked fantastic.
    If we played like that every game we would be in the mix next season ie play off contention.
    The problem is we don't play like that every week.
    I don't rate Payne, I'm afraid he's too small and light weight and gets brushed aside most games.
    Last night was his best game for Charlton, so MKD fans are correct, in that if he played like that every week he'd be decent, but he's never done that before.

MKD were our idealish opponents last night. A big wide pitch giving us loads of room to play football and didn't close us down. If they had stuck 11 men behind the ball and roughed us up, they may have nicked it.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    From the MK Dons forum

If we played like that every game we would be in the mix next season ie play off contention.
    I don't rate Payne, I'm afraid he's too small and light weight and gets brushed aside most games.
    Last night was his best game for Charlton, so MKD fans are correct, in that if he played like that every week he'd be decent, but he's never done that before.

MKD were our idealish opponents last night. A big wide pitch giving us loads of room to play football and didn't close us down. If they had stuck 11 men behind the ball and roughed us up, they may have nicked it.
    What??? 😂 cannot believe some of the spin being put on this performance. Did they alter the footage back to the stream or something?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Croydon said:
    se9addick said:
    I genuinely believe that we could have a decent defence next season 

GK - AMB, JW
    RB - Egbo, Clare, Sess
    RCB - Hector, Ness, Mitchell
    LCB - Thomas, Mitchell
    LB - Sess, Thomas : 
    We conceded 6 goals 3 days ago and have spent the last few weeks looking like we could concede from any attack. One clean sheet against a relegation threatened side later and suddenly we've got a good defence again. This fanbase is insane.
    Funny stuff isn't it. 

Don't concede against a team that's scored 40 goals in 43 games and suddenly we're world beaters. 
    Who said we were world beaters? Deary me!
    Let's keep exactly the same squad and see what happens next season.

Oh midtable again? What a surprise. 

Thought we would have learned from our 'good form' at the end of last season. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    From the MK Dons forum

What??? 😂 cannot believe some of the spin being put on this performance. Did they alter the footage back to the stream or something?
    Both teams were poor first half but we we dominant for a 30 minute spell in the second half and completely took the game over.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    se9addick said:

GK - AMB, JW
    RB - Egbo, Clare, Sess
    LCB - Thomas, Mitchell
    LB - Sess, Thomas : 
    We conceded 6 goals 3 days ago and have spent the last few weeks looking like we could concede from any attack. One clean sheet against a relegation threatened side later and suddenly we've got a good defence again. This fanbase is insane.
    Funny stuff isn't it. 

Don't concede against a team that's scored 40 goals in 43 games and suddenly we're world beaters. 

Who has said let’s keep exactly the same squad next season?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Croydon said:
    From the MK Dons forum

I think it was a decent performance against a poor MKD side.
    We probably should have won by 2 or 3.
    If we had played like that earlier in the season and beaten FGR, Oxford, MKD, Port Vale, Cheltenham and Bristol R, we would have another 16 points and be in the top 6.
    So yes we weren't great, but we would have been in the mix if we had played like that all season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Croydon said:
    se9addick said:

GK - AMB, JW
    RB - Egbo, Clare, Sess
    LCB - Thomas, Mitchell
    LB - Sess, Thomas : 
    Funny stuff isn't it. 

Name one person from the starting 11 this game that you would happily release at the end of the season, not named Bonne. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Croydon said:
    se9addick said:

GK - AMB, JW
    RB - Egbo, Clare, Sess
    LCB - Thomas, Mitchell
    LB - Sess, Thomas : 
    Funny stuff isn't it. 

Name one person from the starting 11 this game that you would happily release at the end of the season, not named Bonne. 
    Righto, I’ll answer the question for you then, not one person here has said we were world beaters or that we should keep exactly the same squad next season. 

And Bonne was not even in the match day squad, never mind the starting 11. 
  • Options
    I just came on hear to read all the superlatives about Payne. Yes, he took his goal well and had a decent game (more so in the 2nd half), but overall I still don't think he has the required standard to be anymore than a squad player in a mid-table team and certainly nowhere near a squad that has ambitions of promotion. 

The ref was a complete joke and reminded me of when I used to play Sunday league and no ref was appointed, so the home manager would step in and give every 50-50 decision for his team. 

In a nutshell, a poor game where we were the better team on the night. It won't live long in the memory.
    Like so many this season.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I keep seeing people on twitter being shocked at how low the crowd was and how empty stadium MK looked. They clearly weren't there in 2016 for the FA cup replay when a little over half that crowd showed up (including me)!
  • Options
    You'd think we just got promoted!

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yeah fuck em for enjoying a win.
    I don't believe anyone begrudges them.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    You apparently did.
  • Options
    Major said:
    limeygent said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    You apparently did.
    Nope.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

No, you'd think Payne had just scored.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    From the MK Dons forum

Both teams were poor first half but we we dominant for a 30 minute spell in the second half and completely took the game over.
    Scored one goal and desperately held on, again, at the end. All against a side that's been in the bottom 5 all season. 

Poor touches, over hit passes, not a single decent set piece. The 3 points has really clouded some people's judgement

And yet, if only they could have done that a few more times this season…
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    limeygent said:

No, you'd think Payne had just scored.
    He's used to carrying heavy sacks for Santa!

Fair play to them though, if you pull your finger out you deserve to jump all over each other...
  • Options
    I was mildly amused by a picture from what was, for us, a pretty meaningless game, and thought to share it, that's all. Pity that some have to read more into it than that.
  • Options
    MKD didn't play well BUT that's also down to us not letting them play well. Leko was quite lively, but Eisa was very quiet.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    They came out in the second half trying to have a right go at us and they pushed us on the back foot for 10 minutes or so. We started passing it about, not with much intent at first other than to keep the ball and then took over the half and increased the intent and we scored from that and could have got one or two more.

A few things linger in the memory. Firstly, Morgan had a very good game and one pass that didn't come off from him where he got it forward before controlling it really impressed me I have to admit as it could have really opened them up. I'd rather they tried than control and pass backwards. Also, on the subject of Morgan, he really put in a shift. He does it all the time but from being a needs to go advocate, I am shifting to he should stay as a squad player at least.

Thomas was very comfortable on the ball and the centre half pairing looked better for it. He has done well as a left back but I was worried he might struggle in the middle despite it being his position but I was wrong and maybe we are seeing the player he is and should continue to look at him with interest.

Payne had a terrific game, again despite what some have said. I think he deserves a run for the last three games and is another we probably need to be looking at as a squad player for next season. Bearing in mind, these squad players are allowed to compete and play themselves into the team.

Fraser shows he has quality but for me lacks a bit of energy. Surely it is better to have the former as the latter you can work on but if he upped his effort/got fitter by a few percent he would be a much better player IMO.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    limeygent said:
    I was mildly amused by a picture from what was, for us, a pretty meaningless game, and thought to share it, that's all. Pity that some have to read more into it than that.
    But you didn't simply share the photo, you added that "you'd think we just got promoted" ,because the players were celebrating a goal.
    Ok it's trivial, but why do we have to criticise so much?
    If they didn't celebrate some would criticise that. 
    It's tiresome.
    Anyway, let's forget it, it's trivial.
  • Options
    "None of these players give a toss"
    or
    "You'd think we'd just got promoted"

Can I ask where the players should be between these two points? Personally I'd prefer they all gave everything for the shirt, got angry or sad when we lose and show just how much it means when we win. 

This should be whether they're good, bad or ugly. 
  • Options
    Besides "giving all for the shirt", you'd think they'd give all for the five grand plus they're paid every week. Certainly their football careers can be short, but most of us would like to make five grand a week for a few years, before returning to a more "normal" income.
  • Options
    That's the same thing!?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    That's the same thing!?
    Depends on the individual I suppose.