Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• bromdog said:
    I think it’s important to add a bit of experience next. I’d say Hector is our only real experienced leader. Maybe Fraser? 

Our promotion winning sides have always had that, wether that’s influence in the dressing room, calm head during tight games or just general sh*thousery to get us through the last 5 minutes. Leon court, Darren pratley, Andy hughes, Chris powell etc

Is Chris Martin still available?
  • edited July 2023
    This thread has definitely taken a turn for the worse…

Earlier in the week we were talking about Ladapo, Collins, Nombe or JCH.

Now we’re talking about Bonne, Chris Martin, or even Kirk! (because he played one through ball against an amateur Wealdstone side!)

Jeez. Really hope Andy Scott is going to deliver someone from the A list.
  • This thread has definitely taken a turn for the worse…

Now we’re talking about Bonne, Chris Martin, or even Kirk! (because he played one through ball against an amateur Wealdstone side!)

Can’t believe we won’t 
  • If it comes to it that our only fit striker v Orient is May, who of our squad would be most suitable to be an "emergency" striker?
    Kirk being playing there all pre season .. creating and scoring can’t ask more then that 
    You can. You can ask him to do it in league games after two years of disappointment 
  • edited July 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Jack Whatmough has just terminated his Wigan contract. He’s not left footed, but if we did want to add another quality centre back with promotion experience at this level then he’d be a great option 
    Jamie McGrath as well… excellent player, even if we don’t need another (Scottish) midfielder…
  • NabySarr said:
    Jack Whatmough has just terminated his Wigan contract. He’s not left footed, but if we did want to add another quality centre back with promotion experience at this level then he’d be a great option 
    Jamie McGrath as well… excellent player, even if we don’t need another (Scottish) midfielder…
    Didn't realise Will Keane had done the same and joined Preston.

Wigan are going to struggle to replace them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised the Wigan players are abandoning ship now that they've been steadied again
  • If it comes to it that our only fit striker v Orient is May, who of our squad would be most suitable to be an "emergency" striker?
    Kirk being playing there all pre season .. creating and scoring can’t ask more then that 
    You can. You can ask him to do it in league games after two years of disappointment 
    Repeating what I said when we signed him. A lad that works for me was in Crewe’s youth team all the way through with Kirk. A few weeks before he was getting a pro contract he did his knee away at Chelsea that ended his career anyway that beside the point. When we signed Kirk he said we had one hell of a player all the time he was happy and things are going well but you wouldn’t want him in the trenches with you. I think that sums up his 2 years with us as things on and off the pitch haven’t been good. Maybe if things take an upturn his confidence and swagger will return and we see what he can do
  • If we are to regularly play 352 then we need 4 decent strikers. Not 3 strikers and a midfielder or winger like Campbell. Or someone like Kanu, who well off being ready. Whether Aneke counts as one of the 4 is the big question. If we can't rely on him playing a decent number of games, then we'll need 4 strikers PLUS Aneke. One of those strikers can be a senior pro back up (e.g. a big No 9 for when we want to go direct) or a PL loanee, rather than a marquee signing.

The likes of Campbell will get their chance if we switch to 433.
  • bromdog said:
    I think it’s important to add a bit of experience next. I’d say Hector is our only real experienced leader. Maybe Fraser? 

Our promotion winning sides have always had that, wether that’s influence in the dressing room, calm head during tight games or just general sh*thousery to get us through the last 5 minutes. Leon court, Darren pratley, Andy hughes, Chris powell etc

Cue the Coldplay jokes...again!!...🙄
  • edited July 2023
    bromdog said:

Cue the Coldplay jokes...again!!...🙄

You're looking a little Yellow there mate
  • NabySarr said:
    I wonder if he'll return to Pompey?
  • This thread has definitely taken a turn for the worse…

People were joking about Bonne. If anything the transfer business done so far should give us confidence that another good quality striker will be signed.
  • Quite like the cut of Nombe's jib, can't really get excited about an Exeter player but he's got something about him, I reckon if he did sign and got off to a good start he could possibly smash it....
  • Think we'll see little activity now on the in side. 

Out of interest, do you all think our transfer plans changed with Leaburn's injury or not really?
  • Sponsored links:

• bromdog said:

He’s still going on a European tour
  • https://youtu.be/q3SMzK4LoTM

I did want us to get nombe but after watching this and finding out who he supports i feel very sick and think i may of changed my mind👀🤢🤮
  • From Croydon so not surprised. 
  • Fumbluff said:
    Quite like the cut of Nombe's jib, can't really get excited about an Exeter player but he's got something about him, I reckon if he did sign and got off to a good start he could possibly smash it....
    Olly Watkins played for Exeter
  • Plaaayer said:
    All the time that JRS hasn’t gone anywhere I hold out a tiny glimmer of hope he might come back. 
    This would be excellent if somehow we could get JRS back for another season but could Ipswich be holding on with what happens with Ladapo because weren’t they heavily linked with JRS? 
    With Zaha leaving Palace I can see JRS being in their plans for this season.  
    Actually that’s spot on.! 
  • mendonca said:
    Think we'll see little activity now on the in side. 

Out of interest, do you all think our transfer plans changed with Leaburn's injury or not really?
    I don't think we'd have wanted to go into the season with 2 strikers for 2 positions (I'm not including Aneke or Kanu).
  • https://youtu.be/q3SMzK4LoTM

I did want us to get nombe but after watching this and finding out who he supports i feel very sick and think i may of changed my mind👀🤢🤮
    This could actually work to our advantage tbf, him being a Croydon boy may sway his decision in wanting to come here if we weren't to be his only option.
  • NabySarr said:
    I’ll start by admitting I don’t know too much about Nombe. When I looked at his 17 goal compilation video I have to say I wasn’t that impressed. Certainly nothing like the corresponding Alfie May collection. Thought he looked very much a league one striker. Now I know that’s where we are but unless his all round play is good which is something these videos never show I’m still to be convinced. Naturally I’ll trust Holden and Scott to know far more than me.
    I thought the same when I watched his 17 goals montage on YouTube, thought Alfie May looked a lot more technical and creative with some of his goals. 

I've watched it again now and on a second watch he does look fairly good, seems to have pace to pace to burn, comfortable on both feet and strong for his size, 5'11 is not exactly short either way for a centre forward.

I think based on how we played yesterday, how tenacious and competitive May is in his chasing down, if we had someone else quick I think we would cause all kinds of trouble for any defense in this league. You can see him and Jevani Brown worked off eachother well and with how attacking we are on the wings I can see him popping up. 

I'd be very happy with this, I still think JCH elevates us completely but if he's unrealistic then Nombe is comfortably my second choice from this league.

Let's hope we are as persistent as we were with Tayo 
    I’d prefer Nombe to JCH. Nombe is only 24 and fits the hungry point to prove younger type player that we should be going for. JCH has nothing to prove at this level. If you’re going to spend 7 figures on a player I’d much rather spend it on a 24 year old that has room to develop, rather than a 29 year old that will only go down in value 
    With me personally I actually prefer the older player in their best years as we don't have to worry about them every transfer window and can enjoy them. 

I understand your view point though and would be a nice problem to have if he was a success and we were able to sell him on in that hypothetical scenario 
  • could be another 4/5 incoming 
    Come on Ronnie, where's the 'I'm'?!

• This is how I see things shaping up in a 3-5-2 with Edun and Taylor through the door.

We know there’s a need for a striker as Aneke can’t last and Leaburn also prone to the odd injury. We also were in for a right back so I would be surprised if we aren’t still looking in that area.

I personally would also like one more centre back which would allow one of Mitchell or Elerewe get minutes on loan somewhere.

As others have mentioned as well, having four quality centre mids also allows us to switch to a diamond when the 3-5-2 isn’t working. Would still need a proper target man through the door though.

You cant go into the season with Kirk/CBT, DJ/Campbell as makeshift strikers. 

We've done so well up to thus point assembling a decent squad to get top 6, can't ruin it by not signing another proper striker.

I think we only need 1 more as Leaburn will feature heavily after Sept & Aneke might be "ok" later in the season too. 

But please, no more make do & mend. 
    I have a feeling that's what we're doing with our keepers, maybe unfair as I've not seen much of either but certainly on last nights showing Isted is an accident waiting to happen & AMB seems a bit hit & miss. Surely we're not going to put what looks a decent squad together & not bring in a quality keeper. Also think we need an Experienced CB, Elewere has a dodgy knee & Mitchell isn't ready imo