Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• "best part of £1Million or over that" ......sounds like a lot of money for us?

But of course, only speculation by Exeter fans.
  • Oggy Red said:

Exeter tweet: 

"Tough one re the Nombe situation. A fantastic player for us over the last few seasons.

"But… if we’re being offered the best part of £1Million or over that, it’ll be very hard to turn down for someone with 12months left on their contract"
    The fee will end up being nowhere near that, they must be delusional.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Smithy said:
    If we do get Nombe I might go as far as to say this is the best transfer window we've had since 2011. 2018 with Lyle Taylor, Cullen and Bielik will be tough to beat as individuals but we didn't strenghten anywhere near as well across the whole team imo.
    Don't forget that the 2018-19 promotion squad contained the nucleus of our team that made the playoffs the previous season.
    A major rebuild wasn't so necessary, mostly just adding better quality in a few key positions.

We did also lose Konsa, Amos, JFC, Kashi, Magennis and as good as Fosu from the season before so there was more rebuilding than just adding cherries to the cake.
  • Oggy Red said:

Exeter tweet: 

"Tough one re the Nombe situation. A fantastic player for us over the last few seasons.

"But… if we’re being offered the best part of £1Million or over that, it’ll be very hard to turn down for someone with 12months left on their contract"
    Surely Exeter are along the lines of Cheltenham where they really need the money. I'd be shocked if he cost any more than about £300k
    Exeter usually hold pretty firm on their negotiations. Weren’t we in for a winger of theirs a couple of seasons ago and couldn’t meet their valuation? 
  • edited July 2023
    Oggy Red said:

Exeter tweet: 

Surely Exeter are along the lines of Cheltenham where they really need the money. I'd be shocked if he cost any more than about £300k
    They got seven figures out of Ampadu signing for Leeds this summer, plus compensation fees for Collins and Key already. 

Don’t think they are mega desperate for the cash but equally would be shocked if they did get a million for him. 500-750k would be my estimate.
  • That lad on the message board is going to be disappointed when the fee comes out 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Smithy said:
    If we do get Nombe I might go as far as to say this is the best transfer window we've had since 2011. 2018 with Lyle Taylor, Cullen and Bielik will be tough to beat as individuals but we didn't strenghten anywhere near as well across the whole team imo.
    Don't forget that the 2018-19 promotion squad contained the nucleus of our team that made the playoffs the previous season.
    A major rebuild wasn't so necessary, mostly just adding better quality in a few key positions.

We did also lose Konsa, Amos, JFC, Kashi, Magennis and as good as Fosu from the season before so there was more rebuilding than just adding cherries to the cake.
    True. Konsa was sold for decent money, Amos chose to sign elsewhere, Kashi was released, JFC did his ACL 2 days before the season started, Magennis was not rated by Bowyer and sold on, Fosu fell out with Bowyer for not training properly, barely played and couldn't get away fast enough..

• Great news regarding Nombe if true...we are quickly becoming the club in the news now and apparently the club everyone seems to want to join...very surreal and hard to believe, watch out league one, we are really a different proposition now...
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    That lad on the message board is going to be disappointed when the fee comes out 
    Like we always are, you mean? :)

• Oggy Red said:

Exeter tweet: 

Exeter usually hold pretty firm on their negotiations. Weren’t we in for a winger of theirs a couple of seasons ago and couldn’t meet their valuation? 

Yeah they held out for seven figures for Joel Randall who ended up going to Peterborough. 
  • Like I said before I think we'll make a bit of a statement where a club asks for a slightly inflated fee and we pay a fair chunk of it upfront and add the rest in installments based on promotion
  • Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Smithy said:

True. Konsa was sold for decent money, Amos chose to sign elsewhere, Kashi was released, JFC did his ACL 2 days before the season started, Magennis was not rated by Bowyer and sold on, Fosu fell out with Bowyer for not training properly, barely played and couldn't get away fast enough..

I know why they all left but BFG was the only player that started the home semi against Shrewsbury and the play off final the following year.  I forgot about Stephy Mavididi, Dasilva, Zyro and Ajose who all played on that game as well. 
  • Is Nombe actually good does anyone know? Yes he got a reasonable amount of goals last year, but Kirk had reasonable stats the season before we signed him (remember thinking from his video at the time, he looked a bit average though). So are we blinded by the stats or is he good?
    We’ve never used Kirk effectively. In recent years we could have brought Messi in and made him look shit. Kirk’s got two goals so far in preseason and Deano mentioned after the Millwall game that we need to start shooting a bit more. That’s what Kirk can do. Bring in Nombe or another striker and play them as a lone striker and they will not be as effective as they could be playing alongside May both in terms of goals they will get and in pushing and keeping the opposition stuck in their own last third.
  • Yann897 said:

Why it would be for a cut price, are they desperate to sell?

They just got over a million sell on fee for Ampadu.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Oggy Red said:

Exeter tweet: 

Yeah they held out for seven figures for Joel Randall who ended up going to Peterborough. 
    Whatever happened to him? Can't remember hearing much about him since. Has he been injured?
  • Yann897 said:

Don't think they're desperate to sell for cash reasons, but rumour is Nombe does fancy a new challenge and he's out of contract next summer. This is their last chance to get a half decent fee for him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• What I'm loving about this current squad is the fact we're building with so few loans at the moment.

We might not even need to utilise the full quota loan signings at this rate.

Perfect if we're getting the permanent signings right, as means we wont have the endless worry of having to replace the next JRS or Cullen
    Also with the loans mate their clubs quite probably will insist that they get regular game time which with the more permanent signings we make can’t be guaranteed 🤷‍♂️.
  • Yann897 said:

Mate of mine is an Exeter fan and reckons they've got money problems that the Ampadu money is already accounted for.
  • Yann897 said:

Only a year left on his contract I guess.
  • Is Nombe actually good does anyone know? Yes he got a reasonable amount of goals last year, but Kirk had reasonable stats the season before we signed him (remember thinking from his video at the time, he looked a bit average though). So are we blinded by the stats or is he good?
    Depends, of course some players are great at one club at one time but a move never quite works out.

However stats aside his style of play is quite physical and high effort from what I've seen so it should complement what Holden is trying to implement and on paper there's not going to be many defences having an easy afternoon trying to deal with him and May at once.

If you then have Leaburn to switch in/bring on for those situations needing more physical height and power then it's very promising IMO.
  • Oggy Red said:
    "best part of £1Million or over that" ......sounds like a lot of money for us?

But of course, only speculation by Exeter fans.
    A deal worth a million .. lot diff 

• But it’s only coming from Exeter end at the moment .. has the player asked for a move this week ? perhaps his agent told him about our interest ?