Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited July 2023
    Exeter must pay a percentage of the fee to MKDons, apparently.

Edit: Exeter forum saying 30% to MKD

• Oggy Red said:
    Just a quick glance at the Exeter forum, one of their posters said:

"........However, I agree with the opening post that very few have had the all-round skills of Sam. He can score from distance as we saw against Rovers and he can also score classic poachers goals like Northampton away at the end of the last season. However, he has also pace and power and can link up play brilliantly."

I guess, that's some of what appeals to Dean Holden.

Sounds ideal from that post, and should fit in well...
  • FSLN1 said:
    Jayden Stockley's issue was that he was useless in a one-man forward line, he was too easy to isolate and mark out of games. We tried playing him as a sole striker under Nigel Adkins and it didn't work and it failed again under Ben Garner. 

Sam Nombe fits the style of play that Dean Holden wants to play, that moving the ball quickly from defence to midfield to attack. He might not have a great scoring record (one in three games) but if you give him chances he'll convert enough
    And so will team mates around him.

• Would be surprised if it was over £1m up front for a guy who only has 1 year left on his contract, at a club with supposedly financial issues. Few others are quoting £500-600K which would seem more realistic. Potentially with a few add ons based on appearances/goals/promotion etc.
  • FSLN1 said:
    Jayden Stockley's issue was that he was useless in a one-man forward line, he was too easy to isolate and mark out of games. We tried playing him as a sole striker under Nigel Adkins and it didn't work and it failed again under Ben Garner. 
    100%. Madness really. And he was our highest paid player and captain. My God we seem to be in a better place now.
  • This for me would be the final piece of the jigsaw pre season. There are 2-3 more I would like but they can be slower time, maybe loans from the Prem or seeing who’s made available late in the window.
  • people will still say we had a shit window if we don’t sign anyone on the last day 
  • Will be interesting to see the preferred strikeforce when Leaburn is back fit
  • Sponsored links:

• Caveats to my above post:

- I'm not an Exeter fan and am basing what I've said off not that much.

- I really AM unfamiliar with his all-round play which appears to be a huge asset.

- We look like we might be signing a poorer team's best player, which will allow him to further shine when surrounded by May/Leaburn/Fraser/Taylor/whoever else, a la the Powell promotion year.

So I'll be very happy if I end up with egg on my face!
  • edited July 2023
    What else do we genuinely need once Nombe is through the door?

A fourth Striker on loan from the Premier League (target man) so that Aneke is a luxury if he's ever available
    Right-Back to challenge Asiimwe if Egbo is one of those who may disappear before the end of the Window
    Backup Left-Back to Edun
  • Is there actually any interest or just a few random accounts posting about Nombe? 
    Word out there that it's already done. :wink:

• What else do we genuinely need once Nombe is through the door?

A fourth Striker on loan from the Premier League (target man) so that Aneke is a luxury if he's ever available
    Right-Back to challenge Asiimwe if Egbo is one of those who may disappear before the end of the Window
    Backup Left-Back to Edun
    If we get Nombe, and those 3. Maybe another CB so one of the younger lads can go out on loan.

Only other area, and it's less important because we could potentially always get an emergency loan would be a 3rd choice keeper.
  • What else do we genuinely need once Nombe is through the door?

Backup Left-Back to Edun
    Would love to get Mubama in from West Ham
  • I very much doubt Nombe will command £1.2m with one year left on his contract. Just an opinion.
  • follett said:
    What else do we genuinely need once Nombe is through the door?

Backup Left-Back to Edun
    Would love to get Mubama in from West Ham
    Moyes has said he wont be going out on loan this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• I heard Stuart Pearce on the wireless saying (about the premier league specifically) that in general one goal equates to one point over a season.
    If your team scores 70 goals you’ll end up with around 70 points.
    So with the prospect of Nombe and May, and a cautionary assumption that their scoring return might dip by 10%, that would be 35 goals between them less 10% which could mean they get us 32 points next season.
    By my very crude and simplistic calculation even with Nombe and May playing we need another 60 goals from elsewhere in the team (according to the Stuart Pearce notion anyway) for automatic promotion.
  • mendonca said:
    He scored 15 in 43 last season. 

Many were unhappy that Stockley had a similar (or better) ratio.
    Yep, it's not hugely inspiring. Stockley screwed up our overall play by being immobile though.
    Stockley’s all around play was poor, scored a bunch of goals in the papa johns and against Gateshead, he was also our main striker. Nombe will be coming in as third choice, behind May and Leaburn? 15 goals and 7 assists. Yes please 
  • Cawley saying wide of the mark nothing close🤦🏻‍♂️
  • I don't mind if Nombe stands around a bit @PaddyP17 from what I've seen May is gonna be the dogsbody chasing everything down (like Luke Varney but can actually finish) and with the high pressing we'll look to implement, there will be plenty of opportunities for players to force mistakes and "gifts" to our strikers, our problem in the past is we've either had players like Church and Washington who couldn't capitalise on those mistakes, or players like Stockley who weren't mobile enough to pounce upon a mistake. 

Cawley is now cooling it down, but hasn't completely extinguished the flame, he claims an agreed fee hasn't been made, but we definitely have interest 
  • What I'm loving about this current squad is the fact we're building with so few loans at the moment.

We might not even need to utilise the full quota loan signings at this rate.

Perfect if we're getting the permanent signings right, as means we wont have the endless worry of having to replace the next JRS or Cullen
    Ruins the song though

Holden had a dream
    To build a football team
    He had some money so didn't have to sign them on loan.
    Holden had a dream, to build a football team,
    He had no money but then we were taken over,
    We build from the back,
    Taylor's three year contract,
    We're Charlton Athletic, we're on our way back!
  • Cawley saying wide of the mark nothing close🤦🏻‍♂️
    Hoping he is wrong for a change as people usually in the know on our side and theirs are saying different.