Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• This Nombe rumour is certainly gaining legs!

Sign him up!

He could be the missing piece of the jigsaw.

• Yann897 said:

Why it would be for a cut price, are they desperate to sell?

They just got over a million sell on fee for Ampadu.

Last year of a contract, my guess here is that he's told the club he will be moving on at the end of the season. 

So a sell now and get decent money and if they hang on until late August his value might go down and they'll get even less in January. Possibly/presumably Exeter also have a replacement lined up to bring in who might have gone elsewhere if they wait too long. . 
  • edited July 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    Oggy Red said:

Exeter tweet: 

"Tough one re the Nombe situation. A fantastic player for us over the last few seasons.

"But… if we’re being offered the best part of £1Million or over that, it’ll be very hard to turn down for someone with 12months left on their contract"
    Surely Exeter are along the lines of Cheltenham where they really need the money. I'd be shocked if he cost any more than about £300k
    Exeter usually hold pretty firm on their negotiations. Weren’t we in for a winger of theirs a couple of seasons ago and couldn’t meet their valuation? 

Yeah they held out for seven figures for Joel Randall who ended up going to Peterborough. 
    Whatever happened to him? Can't remember hearing much about him since. Has he been injured?

Injured a lot , only played 11 games last season 
  • Is Nombe actually good does anyone know? Yes he got a reasonable amount of goals last year, but Kirk had reasonable stats the season before we signed him (remember thinking from his video at the time, he looked a bit average though). So are we blinded by the stats or is he good?
    We’ve never used Kirk effectively. In recent years we could have brought Messi in and made him look shit. Kirk’s got two goals so far in preseason and Deano mentioned after the Millwall game that we need to start shooting a bit more. That’s what Kirk can do. Bring in Nombe or another striker and play them as a lone striker and they will not be as effective as they could be playing alongside May both in terms of goals they will get and in pushing and keeping the opposition stuck in their own last third.
    Where would Kirk be shooting more from though? He's not exactly got a powerful shot like MS, so he'd have to reinvent his game to be making more runs into the box. Maybe the Millwall goal is evidence that's what he's trying to do.
    I dunno, there's nothing outstanding about Kirk - average pace, below average strength, below average shooting, reasonable crosser, no trickery, above average "football brain" maybe. 

• But it’s only coming from Exeter end at the moment .. has the player asked for a move this week ? perhaps his agent told him about our interest ?
    But if you "knew" about us talking to Exeter before I am sure the play might have.

I appreciate the if is doing a lot of heavy lifting here...
  • ButtleJR said:
    May be a bit far fetched given it's his neck of the woods but Nombe was in south west London yesterday for a haircut according to his story... 
    PWADDICK said:
    Some on their forum saying it’s done as well
    It’s confirmed

PWADDICK said:
    It’s confirmed

He's off to Barnet then... what a let down 
  • ButtleJR said:
    May be a bit far fetched given it's his neck of the woods but Nombe was in south west London yesterday for a haircut according to his story... 
    PWADDICK said:
    It’s confirmed

PWADDICK said:
    It’s confirmed

He's off to Barnet then... what a let down 
    Heard it was Huddersfield 
  • Sponsored links:

• What I'm loving about this current squad is the fact we're building with so few loans at the moment.

We might not even need to utilise the full quota loan signings at this rate.

Perfect if we're getting the permanent signings right, as means we wont have the endless worry of having to replace the next JRS or Cullen
    I have a feeling that Camara is going to be absolutely key for us and obviously the better he does the more likely he’s likely to be recalled in January. That’s my big concern with him. 
    He’ll be playing AFCON so I’d be surprised to see him recalled in January as they wouldn’t actually be able to use him for a while 
  • edited July 2023
    mendonca said:
    He scored 15 in 43 last season. 

Many were unhappy that Stockley had a similar (or better) ratio.
    Different type of player, Stockley was a traditional target man without the pace to press and needed crosses.

Nombe appears to have pace, strength and is a decent height - suits the style Holden wants and means he can score more types of goals.
  • mendonca said:

Did they? Or did they start to criticise at the start of last season? I think a few were frustrated by the style of play with Stockley in the side, even when he was scoring goals, but that wouldn't apply to someone like Nombe, even if he got 1/2 less. 
  • mendonca said:

People criticised Stockley when that became 3 in 30 or whatever it was post-injury didn't they?
  • Addick_8 said:
    Surely we aren't turning our nose up to players like Nombe  😂

Seems to be the best available option, so not turning nose up, I'm glad if we get him. Just not convinced he'll be that good!
  • Sponsored links:

• We seem to be getting very excited, me included, about some pretty flimsy evidence. I’ll be happier once Richard Cawley says we’re in talks because I think that’s more likely at this point than it being a done deal.
  • mendonca said:

Although 15 goals is a very decent return.

But he's not just a goalscorer, he's quite physical, strong on the ball, pacy and able to run defences ragged.
    They'll be a lot of opportunity for Alfie May to feed from, if they are played in tandem.

• Is there actually any interest or just a few random accounts posting about Nombe? 
  • Jayden Stockley's issue was that he was useless in a one-man forward line, he was too easy to isolate and mark out of games. We tried playing him as a sole striker under Nigel Adkins and it didn't work and it failed again under Ben Garner. 

Sam Nombe fits the style of play that Dean Holden wants to play, that moving the ball quickly from defence to midfield to attack. He might not have a great scoring record (one in three games) but if you give him chances he'll convert enough. 
  • As they say these days...

"We are cooking 🔥"

Re. Nombe: I don't know much about him, but his stats suggest he might be a one-season wonder and that he hasn't always found scoring easy - or is that a ridiculous observation?