Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Asked for an update on the recruitment front, Holden explained: “We know where we need to strengthen and those decisions have already been made. Obviously there will probably be players to leave the club before the window closes as you see at every club and in every transfer window naturally.

“We want to keep quite a trim squad,” he added. “We don’t want too many who aren’t going to be getting a lot of game time - I think it’s important from a psychological side as a player that you always feel close to the team.”

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/holden-were-ready-go

No rumour but does look like we're looking at shifting a few more out still.
  • Nope but there wont be any space left for one when it arrives.
    Probably even less with you posting about not seeing enough rumours eh?
  • Nope but there wont be any space left for one when it arrives.
    Probably even less with you posting about not seeing enough rumours eh?
    Gorn quote me then... 
  • thenewbie said:
    Asked for an update on the recruitment front, Holden explained: “We know where we need to strengthen and those decisions have already been made. Obviously there will probably be players to leave the club before the window closes as you see at every club and in every transfer window naturally.

“We want to keep quite a trim squad,” he added. “We don’t want too many who aren’t going to be getting a lot of game time - I think it’s important from a psychological side as a player that you always feel close to the team.”

Jaiyesimi
    McGrandles
    Kirk (later in the window as he might need to play the first few games)
    Egbo (if a new right wing back comes in)
    Plus Mitchell and Kanu on non-league loans once we have signed new striker and hopefully centre back 
  • NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    Asked for an update on the recruitment front, Holden explained: “We know where we need to strengthen and those decisions have already been made. Obviously there will probably be players to leave the club before the window closes as you see at every club and in every transfer window naturally.

Jaiyesimi
    McGrandles
    Plus Mitchell and Kanu on non-league loans once we have signed new striker and hopefully centre back 
    I wouldn't loan out Mitchell and Kanu.  At their age they would benefit more from the coaching we can provide and the pizza cup games supplementing their own u21 games. As well as any other education they are undertaking.

Maybe look at a month long loan once we are out of the cups.  But no rush.

Henry needs a loan because he needs to play, I would say the same for Deji if we bring in another defender. But would say we should try for league 2, or even league 1.

The ones that should have non league loans are the ones that are in the second years of their pro contracts and unlikely to make it with us, like Barker last season, so they can find their level and help keep them in the professional game.

Generally speaking I don't see the point in non-league loans for players that have, at least, championship potential.  They will normally play for our first team when they are ready.  Someone will correct me straight away, but I can't remember any of our better youngsters really having non-league loans, nor those of the "other" local clubs.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:

Jaiyesimi
    McGrandles
    I wouldn't loan out Mitchell and Kanu.  At their age they would benefit more from the coaching we can provide and the pizza cup games supplementing their own u21 games. As well as any other education they are undertaking.

Henry needs a loan because he needs to play, I would say the same for Deji if we bring in another defender. But would say we should try for league 2, or even league 1.

The ones that should have non league loans are the ones that are in the second years of their pro contracts and unlikely to make it with us, like Barker last season, so they can find their level and help keep them in the professional game.

Generally speaking I don't see the point in non-league loans for players that have, at least, championship potential.  They will normally play for our first team when they are ready.  Someone will correct me straight away, but I can't remember any of our better youngsters really having non-league loans, nor those of the "other" local clubs.

I think your point is valid but there have certainly been exceptions. Pope, Jenkinson and Doughty spring to mind. 

Definitely agree on Mitchell and Kanu, don't see the rush in getting them out on loan. I do think a month in mens football would do them the world of good, but no need for half a season+ loans. Deji should be kept around as 6th choice CB IMO whilst playing for the U21s. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Henry I feel like is the only must in terms of loans , needs to go and play regular in a League 2 side at least until January.

The likes of Mitchell, Kanu, Elewere, Santos etc if a one month loan to a National League side comes up in November then I think it would be beneficial. 
  • Shouldn't be McGrandles. he's needed for cover. If Anderson really breaks through in a big way when given opportunities in the next few months I could see McGrandles going in January, but letting him go now would be foolish. Dobson/Taylor, Camara/McGrandles, Fraser/Payne, that's the senior balance at the moment
    I would rather Karoy Anderson be Camara’s backup and be ahead of McGrandles in the midfield pecking order. For me the Taylor signing means we don’t need McGrandles anymore. 

Anderson is in the last year of his contract I’d rather he was close to the first team to encourage him to sign on. Anderson wages will be a lot less too so McGrandles wages can be used elsewhere where we need new players 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:

Jaiyesimi
    McGrandles

I think non-league loans where they can still train part-time with us would make sense. I think both aren’t physically ready yet and non-league will help them get used to the physicality of men’s football. Maybe not straight away but I would think both will get loans this season at some point, even if it’s just short term loan for a bit of experience 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Henry I feel like is the only must in terms of loans , needs to go and play regular in a League 2 side at least until January.

The likes of Mitchell, Kanu, Elewere, Santos etc if a one month loan to a National League side comes up in November then I think it would be beneficial. 
    Would probably be national league because we can recall him after 28 days, unlike football league loans. This rule is making national league significantly stronger 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Henry I feel like is the only must in terms of loans , needs to go and play regular in a League 2 side at least until January.

Would probably be national league because we can recall him after 28 days, unlike football league loans. This rule is making national league significantly stronger 
    It's a bit silly really that a L2 side can't have short term loans anymore because they are covered by the UEFA? transfer window rule, but a professional NL side can have them.

Henry is the one who really needs a L2 loan, but I worry that we might not be able to get him one. We had that problem with Morgan a few years ago I recall.
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:

Jaiyesimi
    McGrandles

I think non-league loans where they can still train part-time with us would make sense. I think both aren’t physically ready yet and non-league will help them get used to the physicality of men’s football. Maybe not straight away but I would think both will get loans this season at some point, even if it’s just short term loan for a bit of experience 
    If they aren't physically ready playing non league will probably do them more harm than good.   They need time to finish their physical development, not get kicked round the pitch by a Byron Webster or Micheal Cheek every week.
  • NabySarr said:
    Shouldn't be McGrandles. he's needed for cover. If Anderson really breaks through in a big way when given opportunities in the next few months I could see McGrandles going in January, but letting him go now would be foolish. Dobson/Taylor, Camara/McGrandles, Fraser/Payne, that's the senior balance at the moment
    I would rather Karoy Anderson be Camara’s backup and be ahead of McGrandles in the midfield pecking order. For me the Taylor signing means we don’t need McGrandles anymore. 

Anderson is in the last year of his contract I’d rather he was close to the first team to encourage him to sign on. Anderson wages will be a lot less too so McGrandles wages can be used elsewhere where we need new players 
    McGrandles isn't a holding midfielder so the signing of Taylor doesn't really affect him, Taylor is competition for Dobson. Having Anderson as backup to Camara is a mistake. Camara has just come back from a long term injury and while we hope there's no recurrence, if there is we're asking an 18 year old who has played 5 National League games to fill in at L1 level playing two games a week. That's Roland stuff. Karoy might be an absolute world beater but he doesn't need that pressure on him and he should be given time to develop. McGrandles is a senior player coming off the back of a very good half season at Cambridge and he can be good competition for Camara. We won't really make a saving on moving McGrandles on because we'll need to get senior cover in to replace him. Anderson might have a breakthrough season but that should be a pleasant surprise not a requirement on his part, we've made this mistake so many times in the past and it rarely benefits us or the player.
    Completely agree, I'd definitely keep McGrandles. I think we have our CM's now, although I wouldn't mind swapping Payne for some serious competition for Fraser. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Shouldn't be McGrandles. he's needed for cover. If Anderson really breaks through in a big way when given opportunities in the next few months I could see McGrandles going in January, but letting him go now would be foolish. Dobson/Taylor, Camara/McGrandles, Fraser/Payne, that's the senior balance at the moment

McGrandles isn't a holding midfielder so the signing of Taylor doesn't really affect him, Taylor is competition for Dobson. Having Anderson as backup to Camara is a mistake. Camara has just come back from a long term injury and while we hope there's no recurrence, if there is we're asking an 18 year old who has played 5 National League games to fill in at L1 level playing two games a week. That's Roland stuff. Karoy might be an absolute world beater but he doesn't need that pressure on him and he should be given time to develop. McGrandles is a senior player coming off the back of a very good half season at Cambridge and he can be good competition for Camara. We won't really make a saving on moving McGrandles on because we'll need to get senior cover in to replace him. Anderson might have a breakthrough season but that should be a pleasant surprise not a requirement on his part, we've made this mistake so many times in the past and it rarely benefits us or the player.
    Agreed. The position on McGrandles can always be reviewed in January.
  • NabySarr said:

McGrandles was playing as a holding midfielder in pre-season, he can do both roles. Taylor can do both as well which is why he is pretty much replaced McGrandles. Taylor will play there when Camara isn’t available if Karoy isn’t deemed ready. 

Realistically how many league 1 teams have got 6 senior central midfielders (all on good wages I’d imagine). McGrandles is expendable now we have Taylor so I’d much rather add that to our funds on a ST, CB or wing back than waste it on someone who is at best 3rd choice for 2 of our midfield roles. It’s a massive waste of money that could be better spent on a 1st choice player 
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

McGrandles was playing as a holding midfielder in pre-season, he can do both roles. Taylor can do both as well which is why he is pretty much replaced McGrandles. Taylor will play there when Camara isn’t available if Karoy isn’t deemed ready. 

Realistically how many league 1 teams have got 6 senior central midfielders (all on good wages I’d imagine). McGrandles is expendable now we have Taylor so I’d much rather add that to our funds on a ST, CB or wing back than waste it on someone who is at best 3rd choice for 2 of our midfield roles. It’s a massive waste of money that could be better spent on a 1st choice player 
    Have we not budgeted for him though? To be honest I haven't seen anything indicating that we're worried about the amount of space left in our budget so I'm not sure that's something we need to worry about too much; I doubt we're going to miss out on a key signing because McGrandles is there. I don't know if other teams have 2 for every position but I bet the best ones do or aspire to, they especially would if they had the injury record we do. Camara and Taylor are both returning from bad injuries and McGrandles had one for us last season. The one guarantee of our season is we will cripple previously healthy young athletes, I'd prefer we were preapred for it. McGrandles isn't at his best in the deeper role and I'd rather we used players in their best roles. We might still move him on but I hope we don't, this is the first time in a long time I've looked at our midfield, which has been atrocious for years now, and thought we actually have some decent depth there for once, no interest in us reducing that for no reason. If we get to January and Karoy looks great and we havne't picked up any injuries up to that point then we can review the McGrandles situation but I doubt there's many teams who will take him on the wages he's currently on so he'd probably cost us more to move on than he would just keeping him round and trying to integrate him more. We signed him because he's a good L1 player, may as well use this opportunity to try and find that player on the pitch for us.
  • Missed this yesterday but just seen that Barnsley have sold James Norwood to.......Oldham.

Very surprised by that, he's a solid league one striker so i've no idea why he's dropped down 2 divisions. Reading online a lot of Barnsley fans aren't happy about it.
  • I’m interested that so many think Taylor is back up for Dobson. Certainly Dobson has done nothing to suggest he won’t start but I think Taylor has been brought in not to sit as an understudy. I think the lad was sold a strategy by Holden and I doubt it was come and sit on our bench. I think Taylor’s CV suggests he is able to step up to Championship and I think it was a bit of a coup to get him to sign. I still haven’t completely dismissed the idea of Dobson departing if a suitable bid comes in. It will be interesting to see how this one pans out.
  • I don't think either is backup.

They're competition, if one plays well, they'll keep playing. 
  • I’m interested that so many think Taylor is back up for Dobson. Certainly Dobson has done nothing to suggest he won’t start but I think Taylor has been brought in not to sit as an understudy. I think the lad was sold a strategy by Holden and I doubt it was come and sit on our bench. I think Taylor’s CV suggests he is able to step up to Championship and I think it was a bit of a coup to get him to sign. I still haven’t completely dismissed the idea of Dobson departing if a suitable bid comes in. It will be interesting to see how this one pans out.
    I wonder if Holden sees Dobson as part of a back 3. He is similar in size to ness and is better with his feet

I think that’s quite a luxury for a league one team. 

I think that’s quite a luxury for a league one team. 
    It's not though.

People need to get out of the mindset of 11 good players and a few 'do a job' back up types.

It's a long season, we'll get injuries, we need more than say 3 decent midfielders, or you end up with the average backup playing 35 games a season and finishing midtable.
    I agree but the reality is we can’t afford to have someone with the league one quality of either Dobson or Taylor sitting it out. You might be able to have that in The Championship but in league one I doubt it. 
  • Dobson hasn’t really had a rest for 2 seasons and regardless of how well he’s played that’s going to effect your performance. If they push each other and share some of the game time then I think that will only boost performances for both. I think we’ll probably see Taylor in games against ‘weaker’ opposition when Dobson’s tackling will be needed less