Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited August 2023
    Ferryman said:
    mendonca said:
    The big problem we have is Chuks A&E.

In 2023 he has been out injured since February. 

Even before this latest injury in February, he only appeared as a sub in a few matches, where in my opinion watching as a spectator he definitely lacked mobility.

Let’s us be realistic, he is never going to be fit, and
    his playing days are over.

Therefore he should be medically retired.

We need a forward capable of playing 30 or 35 matches a season, not a forward capable of playing 30 or 35 minutes once or twice a month, if we are lucky.
    Medically retired on a message board, love how you reach conclusions :-)

Agree with the frustration, though.
    Ex Norwich winger Keith O'Neil retired at 27, and said he had never managed to play more than 6 games in a row during his career - when was the last time Chucks played that much?
    Not only was that 20 years ago, Keith O'Neill had two degenerative bone conditions in his spine. Not exactly comparable to Chuks pulling his hammy is it?
  • edited August 2023
    I still think Conor Wickham will do a job, he was good for his spell at Forest green the only real threat they had V us. 
    He would be my realistic choice to be our 4th choice. 
  • Can't even see many championship strikers that could come in on loan and our record hasn't been great from that level , thinking Marcus Tudgay and Jamie Ward type strikers that we brought in the past as opposed to youngsters 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Can't even see many championship strikers that could come in on loan and our record hasn't been great from that level , thinking Marcus Tudgay and Jamie Ward type strikers that we brought in the past as opposed to youngsters 
    Jamie Ward is a great example of the profile, not type, of striker we need.  He did OK, didn't rip up any trees.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    For any avoidance of doubt I do think we will sign a "star striker" before the window closes.  I also firmly belive we need a 4th and they don't need to be at a level of who ever else comes in, May and Leaburn.

They just need to be better than any of the non strikers we may end up using and the kids that aren't ready.  I don't think that's asking too much.

In all honesty it's probably a legacy issue as the other 5 strikers we have had recently have left, or are Chuks. And were never suitably replaced.
    For clarity I think we've signed our "star" striker & doubt very much we will buy any of Nombe, JCH or Ladapo. I reckon we'll sign a Premiership /Championship youngster on loan or a journeyman footballer who doesnt mind dropping down a division (ala Pratley or Watson). 

What is concerning me, and which has been highlighted by many on here, is that we are only a hamstring/tight muscle/niggle away from starting with Kanu & Kirk. 

3 weeks ago I was happy as Larry. We'd signed Alfie May & Camara. Things were looking up. But now we hear that Leaburn is a month or so away from starting and we have no credible back up. Yes we have until Sept 1st but we could play 5 league matches by then. Getting out of this League is difficult enough but tying your hands unnecessarily at the start is not a great recipe for promotion. 
    We already know we tried for Smith and Nombe AFTER we signed May.
    Do we ?

Quote from a credible source like the club please.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Can't even see many championship strikers that could come in on loan and our record hasn't been great from that level , thinking Marcus Tudgay and Jamie Ward type strikers that we brought in the past as opposed to youngsters 
    Jamie Ward is a great example of the profile, not type, of striker we need.  He did OK, didn't rip up any trees.
    One for the 'players you forgot played for Charlton' thread.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

We currently have the worst of both worlds.
    Agreed. All it takes is May doing his ankle in training on Friday or waking up with a fever, and we'll have NO senior striker on Saturday.

And from a negotiation point of view, if other clubs know we are desperate to sign another striker because of the glaring gap in our squad, they'll be able to play a really hard bargain, whereas if we have a journeyman striker who's already scored twice by mid August, we can more realistically threaten to walk away if we don't like the price.
    If it was that easy to find a journeyman who could score a couple by mid August wouldn’t we have done it?

Equally we could end up with a Hemed who’s past his best and not capable of scoring, or even bring back Bonne to fill the gap temporarily.

It Powell took that approach we wouldn’t have signed Yann, the player who signed mid September and turned us from a top 6 side to a title winning one. He was an injury away from Benson or Euell starting up front, or regularly playing someone like Wagstaff out of position.
    Powell signed Paul Hayes before Yann came in. If we had never signed Yann, we still had a decent option to play alongside BWP.
    I know, my point was in both situations we needed a top striker but he waited for Yann rather than signed someone to temporarily give us cover.

Hayes or BWP could have got injured at any point, just as Leaburn did. The plan for the season shouldn’t change just because Leaburn is injured for a few more weeks.

If someone picks up a longer term injury then targets should change, but we’re not at the point where we should bring in a Parker or a Bonne just to have another striker in the squad.
    He signed Hayes in June, then brought in Michael Smith and Jason Euell in August. Euell was very much cover in the squad, ditto Smith who was the same age as Leaburn when we signed him.
    And we didn't let Benson go until we had Clarke.  Euall stayed around until we signed Haynes as well.

It's nonsense to compare the situations because Powell had 4 or 5 strikers before we signed Yann. So he could afford to wait.  We have got two.

Would anyone be so against us brining in a body if we only had 2 center backs?

I am genuinely surprised that people think 1 "star" striker is enough and we don't need someone half decent as well.

Literally not one person thinks that.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    One for the 'players you forgot played for Charlton' thread.

Think he scored on his debut but then had a couple of injuries and didn't really feature that much. 
  • I see. "Name me a striker......"

"No, not that one."

You can all continue to argue amongst yourselves. I'll post on the Orient pre & post match thread but I'm done on here. There's no actual rumours om here anymore anyway. Only people who seem to be ITK are @RonnieMoore & @DubaiCAFC and they only post what they are told from Methven. 

Enjoy the game Saturday. 

• Sponsored links:

• I remember he scored a lob  from outside the box one game? 
  • edited August 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

Agreed. All it takes is May doing his ankle in training on Friday or waking up with a fever, and we'll have NO senior striker on Saturday.

And from a negotiation point of view, if other clubs know we are desperate to sign another striker because of the glaring gap in our squad, they'll be able to play a really hard bargain, whereas if we have a journeyman striker who's already scored twice by mid August, we can more realistically threaten to walk away if we don't like the price.
    If it was that easy to find a journeyman who could score a couple by mid August wouldn’t we have done it?

Equally we could end up with a Hemed who’s past his best and not capable of scoring, or even bring back Bonne to fill the gap temporarily.

It Powell took that approach we wouldn’t have signed Yann, the player who signed mid September and turned us from a top 6 side to a title winning one. He was an injury away from Benson or Euell starting up front, or regularly playing someone like Wagstaff out of position.
    Powell signed Paul Hayes before Yann came in. If we had never signed Yann, we still had a decent option to play alongside BWP.
    I know, my point was in both situations we needed a top striker but he waited for Yann rather than signed someone to temporarily give us cover.

Hayes or BWP could have got injured at any point, just as Leaburn did. The plan for the season shouldn’t change just because Leaburn is injured for a few more weeks.

If someone picks up a longer term injury then targets should change, but we’re not at the point where we should bring in a Parker or a Bonne just to have another striker in the squad.
    He signed Hayes in June, then brought in Michael Smith and Jason Euell in August. Euell was very much cover in the squad, ditto Smith who was the same age as Leaburn when we signed him.
    And we didn't let Benson go until we had Clarke.  Euall stayed around until we signed Haynes as well.

It's nonsense to compare the situations because Powell had 4 or 5 strikers before we signed Yann. So he could afford to wait.  We have got two.

I am genuinely surprised that people think 1 "star" striker is enough and we don't need someone half decent as well.

There are dozens of posts saying we only need one more striker, or people saying we are only after one more and being happy with that.  Or that we should wait to get the one and sod the second. 

So literally more than one person thinks that. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

There are dozens of posts saying we only need one more striker, or people saying we are only after one more and being happy with that.  Or that we should wait to get the one and sod the second. 

The way you worded your previous message implied you thought people were saying just May was enough. Which I believe is what previous poster was saying no one thought.
  • edited August 2023
    RC_CAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

The way you worded your previous message implied you thought people were saying just May was enough. Which I believe is what previous poster was saying no one thought.
    This is getting very deep now...😵😵
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    For any avoidance of doubt I do think we will sign a "star striker" before the window closes.  I also firmly belive we need a 4th and they don't need to be at a level of who ever else comes in, May and Leaburn.

They just need to be better than any of the non strikers we may end up using and the kids that aren't ready.  I don't think that's asking too much.

In all honesty it's probably a legacy issue as the other 5 strikers we have had recently have left, or are Chuks. And were never suitably replaced.
    For clarity I think we've signed our "star" striker & doubt very much we will buy any of Nombe, JCH or Ladapo. I reckon we'll sign a Premiership /Championship youngster on loan or a journeyman footballer who doesnt mind dropping down a division (ala Pratley or Watson). 

What is concerning me, and which has been highlighted by many on here, is that we are only a hamstring/tight muscle/niggle away from starting with Kanu & Kirk. 

3 weeks ago I was happy as Larry. We'd signed Alfie May & Camara. Things were looking up. But now we hear that Leaburn is a month or so away from starting and we have no credible back up. Yes we have until Sept 1st but we could play 5 league matches by then. Getting out of this League is difficult enough but tying your hands unnecessarily at the start is not a great recipe for promotion. 
    Happy as Larry, but managed to hold off buying a season ticket despite all the positive signings until you found a reason not to buy one.

Someone more suspicious than I may be thinking you’re just too tight to buy one. Such a suggestion would of course be outrageous. 🫢
    Main reason for not buying one is that my son, who has been with me at games for the past 15 years, is now working at the Valley on matchdays & so no longer sits with me. Don't like going & sitting on my own and also last season was enough to try the patience of a saint. 

Not that I need to explain myself to you. I've been going for almost 50 years. Selhurst/Upton Pk, all Wembley finals. St Andrews 1987. 
    I was only pulling your leg so apologies if you were offended.

You kids that have just started going are so sensitive. 
  • DH in the meeting tonight said they still have their targets for various areas on the pitch, but refused, quite rightly in my opinion, to go into details. He also said we have some PL loan targets and their clubs are aware of our interest. So let's just see what transpires!
    That’s the end of this thread then!
  • Not a rumour, but really strange that Barnsley have let Norwood go to league 2 Oldham. He was their main striker?!
  • edited August 2023
    RC_CAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

No sorry I meant one more.  So sorry if I took that post wrong as well.

We need a 3rd "star striker" and someone that can do a job.  There are certainly plenty of people saying we don't need a "jobber".
  • edited August 2023
    RC_CAFC said:
    Not a rumour, but really strange that Barnsley have let Norwood go to league 2 Oldham. He was their main striker?!
    Are they close to signing a replacement perhaps. Hope they’re not treading on our toes. Barnsley fans saying some kind of bust up must have happened. They can’t believe it either. Apparently Wrexham put in a bid which was knocked back. They can’t believe Oldham met Barnsley’s valuation of Norwood and Wrexham couldn’t.
  • nagAddick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Not a rumour, but really strange that Barnsley have let Norwood go to league 2 Oldham. He was their main striker?!
    Oldham are in the National league which makes it even more strange 
    That's a great signing for Oldham, who I thought were in a terrible mess off the pitch. Baffled how he ended up there, rather than another L1 club or at least an L2 club like his former clubs Tranmere and FGR.
  • Isn't it about time you all went to bed?
  • nagAddick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Oldham are in the National league which makes it even more strange 
    Of course! Still seems wrong not having Oldham in the Football League. How on Earth did he end up there? Such a strange move.
  • Was being linked with Wrexham so certainly strange he’s dropped 2 divisions.