Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• MarcusH26 said:
    Did not realise he was that old..this would be a big gamble 
    So you think 27 is old, no age for a striker...
  • To be fair to Exeter, selling Nombe could be what sends them down. They may lose out financially in terms of what they get for him but the cost of relegation is also a factor for them.
  • I'd take Madine. Not sure on his injury record but would do a job with may. 
  • To be fair to Exeter, this is their last chance to get a big fee for Nombe, especially if he hasn’t signed a deal by December 
  • NabySarr said:
    shine166 said:
    SexyDave said:
    Nombe not for sale apparently...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66392640
    Code for, bid more and he'll be gone. 
    Exeter might want to hang on until January but it’s risky for them. If he doesn’t sell in January then he walks for nothing and I can’t see a club the stature of Exeter allowing £500k +/- slip away. They either replace him now or January with the money he brings in or replace him in the summer without it. 
    Exeter staying in league 1 rather than dropping down to league 2 is probably worth £1m+ to them so that’s why their price is so high. If they sell him they will most likely be relegated. They rather lose him for free and stay up than lose him for less than £1m but get relegated 
    If Nombe is that important they think he’s solely the difference between staying up or not then I give them a slim chance of achieving survival. That’s in my opinion a poor way to set up for the season. They could lose him through injury anyway. What then ? Certainly goals will help their cause but so will £650k. I’m convinced they don’t want him walking for nothing more than anything else. He’ll be sold now or January.
  • ButtleJR said:
    I'd take Madine. Not sure on his injury record but would do a job with may. 

Decent player but he doesn't comply with Holden's no dickheads rule.

Wickham is worth a serious look though 
  • I was about to ask what happened after wickham left FGR ?
  • NabySarr said:
    shine166 said:
    SexyDave said:

Exeter might want to hang on until January but it’s risky for them. If he doesn’t sell in January then he walks for nothing and I can’t see a club the stature of Exeter allowing £500k +/- slip away. They either replace him now or January with the money he brings in or replace him in the summer without it. 
    Exeter staying in league 1 rather than dropping down to league 2 is probably worth £1m+ to them so that’s why their price is so high. If they sell him they will most likely be relegated. They rather lose him for free and stay up than lose him for less than £1m but get relegated 
    If Nombe is that important they think he’s solely the difference between staying up or not then I give them a slim chance of achieving survival. That’s in my opinion a poor way to set up for the season. They could lose him through injury anyway. What then ? Certainly goals will help their cause but so will £650k. I’m convinced they don’t want him walking for nothing more than anything else. He’ll be sold now or January.
    They have lost a few players so yes, his goals could be the difference. We can't demand him just because we want him. They may find a replacement and see a way to use the money to strengthen in other areas so it could still happen but surely it is up to them. They are not there to help us.
  • LTKapal said:
    I was about to ask what happened after wickham left FGR ?
    Joined Cardiff on a deal until the summer, then played a bit part role and was released again. 

Scored 6 in 16 for FGR in the first half of the season and certainly fulfils the target man role.

also has his ties to South London from being at that lot for a while. 

I am surprised we are not all over that, as I’ve mentioned before - seems perfect on 1 year deal . 
  • CAFC_boi said:
    LTKapal said:
    Joined Cardiff on a deal until the summer, then played a bit part role and was released again. 

Scored 6 in 16 for FGR in the first half of the season and certainly fulfils the target man role.

I am surprised we are not all over that, as I’ve mentioned before - seems perfect on 1 year deal . 
    His injury record is nearly as bad as Chuks.
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFC_boi said:
    LTKapal said:

Nobody compares to A&Eke .. but see your point. He played 28 games last year which is 28 more than Chuks will play this year and also seems about right for a ‘3rd’ striker to me ? 
  • NabySarr said:
    shine166 said:
    SexyDave said:

They have lost a few players so yes, his goals could be the difference. We can't demand him just because we want him. They may find a replacement and see a way to use the money to strengthen in other areas so it could still happen but surely it is up to them. They are not there to help us.
    I agree but the chairman won’t want him leaving for nothing. That 100% certain.
  • CAFC_boi said:
    CAFC_boi said:
    LTKapal said:

Nobody compares to A&Eke .. but see your point. He played 28 games last year which is 28 more than Chuks will play this year and also seems about right for a ‘3rd’ striker to me ? 

• CAFC_boi said:
    CAFC_boi said:
    LTKapal said:

Sign him up, proper Charlton injury record that :
  • I still think Conor Wickham will do a job, he was good for his spell at Forest green the only real threat they had V us. 
  • Not if he’s knackered. 

It’s a real dilemma for DH and co. 

That target man signing is pivotal. Could be the difference between May being a success or not, as well as the team.

• I still think Conor Wickham will do a job, he was good for his spell at Forest green the only real threat they had V us. 
    I would be underwhelmed with that in all honesty. Maybe less so a few years ago.
  • edited August 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Problem with any of those free agents is that none of them will be fit enough to hit the ground running. We need someone who’s had a proper pre-season at a club and is match fit, so ready to play straight away 
    thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

We currently have the worst of both worlds.
    Are we sure we’re looking to bring in two strikers?

If we are I’d still rather wait a few games to potentially get two better players than rush to get a lesser player in thinking he’ll do as cover.
    We bloody well should be if we aren't.  Sorry to go full Golfie but you can't go into the season with 3 strikers if your playing two every week. 

Of we had 3 now we would still have Kanu, or Kirk, or Campbell as sub striker.  1-0 down with 15 minutes to go who you going to call?

I know that even in Powell's title winning season we started one early game with Waggy up front, fine as a one off.
    I think it will be one and one is fine if it’s a good one. 

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

with backup options being Campbell, Kanu, (Kirk if still here) (Aneke if a miracle happens) 

I think it’s probably too much to expect to have 5 proper striking options (Aneke swallows up a lot of budget so you have to count him in the equation even if he’s not playing) 
    Campbell & Kirk are not strikers. Kanu is very raw & looks out of his dept.  Is that where you think we should be aiming for?

All this make do & mend has been tried before and failed. Looks like we are aiming for mid table mediocrity again. 

Glad I havent bought a ST. 
    Again, it's NOT make do and mend because absolutely nobody thinks that using Kirk/Campbell etc is a remotely viable solution in the long term. Not the fans, not the manager/coaching team. 

We signed May, agreed a deal for Smith (but he opted elsewhere), made an approach for Nombe. The club are very clearly aware that a quality striker is needed.
    Problem is when we reach Sept 1st and Leaburn isn't fit & Aneke breaks down (again) we are then stuck until January.

But, as I say, I'm obviously wrong like I was last season. Trust in the process & fingers crossed that Peterborough or Exeter (or club X/Y/Z) conceed to our demands by the end of the month. 

Who'd be a football manager???

Can't sign free agents because they won't be fit. Can't sign players under contract because we're reliant on the parent club accepting an offer.

• Joined Cardiff on a deal until the summer, then played a bit part role and was released again. 

Agreed! 

Only thing I can think of is the ‘no dickhead’ policy which has been mentioned on here
  • Sponsored links:

I would be underwhelmed with that in all honesty. Maybe less so a few years ago.
    I wouldn’t necessarily see him as starter, more a replacement for Aneke.  Same physical stature, off the bench impact. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

If we are I’d still rather wait a few games to potentially get two better players than rush to get a lesser player in thinking he’ll do as cover.
    We bloody well should be if we aren't.  Sorry to go full Golfie but you can't go into the season with 3 strikers if your playing two every week. 

Of we had 3 now we would still have Kanu, or Kirk, or Campbell as sub striker.  1-0 down with 15 minutes to go who you going to call?

I know that even in Powell's title winning season we started one early game with Waggy up front, fine as a one off.

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

with backup options being Campbell, Kanu, (Kirk if still here) (Aneke if a miracle happens) 

I think it’s probably too much to expect to have 5 proper striking options (Aneke swallows up a lot of budget so you have to count him in the equation even if he’s not playing) 
    Campbell & Kirk are not strikers. Kanu is very raw & looks out of his dept.  Is that where you think we should be aiming for?

All this make do & mend has been tried before and failed. Looks like we are aiming for mid table mediocrity again. 

Who should we sign? 
    No idea.

If you can ask Rodwell & Scott where best to invest your money & I'll then give transfer advice.

Comprendez. 
    Thanks for your advice. I phoned Rodwell and Scott who advised me to transfer my cash ISA which was on a variable rate into a one year fixed rate with Nat West at 5.7%. I explained to them that I was only looking for a one year commitment.

May I now have your transfer advice...but something new that you haven't said every hour on the hour for the last few years?

In French or English. Either is good.
    Macaulay Langstaff.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    For any avoidance of doubt I do think we will sign a "star striker" before the window closes.  I also firmly belive we need a 4th and they don't need to be at a level of who ever else comes in, May and Leaburn.

They just need to be better than any of the non strikers we may end up using and the kids that aren't ready.  I don't think that's asking too much.

In all honesty it's probably a legacy issue as the other 5 strikers we have had recently have left, or are Chuks. And were never suitably replaced.
    For clarity I think we've signed our "star" striker & doubt very much we will buy any of Nombe, JCH or Ladapo. I reckon we'll sign a Premiership /Championship youngster on loan or a journeyman footballer who doesnt mind dropping down a division (ala Pratley or Watson). 

What is concerning me, and which has been highlighted by many on here, is that we are only a hamstring/tight muscle/niggle away from starting with Kanu & Kirk. 

3 weeks ago I was happy as Larry. We'd signed Alfie May & Camara. Things were looking up. But now we hear that Leaburn is a month or so away from starting and we have no credible back up. Yes we have until Sept 1st but we could play 5 league matches by then. Getting out of this League is difficult enough but tying your hands unnecessarily at the start is not a great recipe for promotion. 
    Happy as Larry, but managed to hold off buying a season ticket despite all the positive signings until you found a reason not to buy one.

Someone more suspicious than I may be thinking you’re just too tight to buy one. Such a suggestion would of course be outrageous. 🫢
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

Who should we sign? 
    No idea.

If you can ask Rodwell & Scott where best to invest your money & I'll then give transfer advice.

Comprendez. 
    Thanks for your advice. I phoned Rodwell and Scott who advised me to transfer my cash ISA which was on a variable rate into a one year fixed rate with Nat West at 5.7%. I explained to them that I was only looking for a one year commitment.

May I now have your transfer advice...but something new that you haven't said every hour on the hour for the last few years?

Macaulay Langstaff.
    26 years old, has never played league football in his life, has only ever played up north (Nottingham being the furthest south he's ever been) and is from Stockton-on-Tees. 

Also looked it up just to make sure and Notts County is closer to Stockton-on-Tees than it is to SE London. 

Oh and he's less than 6 feet tall so he's a non-league midget and therefore definitely not good enough.

Try harder
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

Who should we sign? 
    No idea.

Comprendez. 

Macaulay Langstaff.
    A pity you spoiled the freshness of this post with your 6.23 one.
  • sam3110 said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

Who should we sign? 
    No idea.

Comprendez. 

Macaulay Langstaff.
    26 years old, has never played league football in his life, has only ever played up north (Nottingham being the furthest south he's ever been) and is from Stockton-on-Tees. 

Also looked it up just to make sure and Notts County is closer to Stockton-on-Tees than it is to SE London. 

Oh and he's less than 6 feet tall so he's a non-league midget and therefore definitely not good enough.

Try harder
    Not to mention Notts County have already turned down offers from Championship teams. If he goes it will be easily 7 figures and he won’t be coming to league one.
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    For any avoidance of doubt I do think we will sign a "star striker" before the window closes.  I also firmly belive we need a 4th and they don't need to be at a level of who ever else comes in, May and Leaburn.

They just need to be better than any of the non strikers we may end up using and the kids that aren't ready.  I don't think that's asking too much.

In all honesty it's probably a legacy issue as the other 5 strikers we have had recently have left, or are Chuks. And were never suitably replaced.
    For clarity I think we've signed our "star" striker & doubt very much we will buy any of Nombe, JCH or Ladapo. I reckon we'll sign a Premiership /Championship youngster on loan or a journeyman footballer who doesnt mind dropping down a division (ala Pratley or Watson). 

What is concerning me, and which has been highlighted by many on here, is that we are only a hamstring/tight muscle/niggle away from starting with Kanu & Kirk. 

3 weeks ago I was happy as Larry. We'd signed Alfie May & Camara. Things were looking up. But now we hear that Leaburn is a month or so away from starting and we have no credible back up. Yes we have until Sept 1st but we could play 5 league matches by then. Getting out of this League is difficult enough but tying your hands unnecessarily at the start is not a great recipe for promotion. 
    Happy as Larry, but managed to hold off buying a season ticket despite all the positive signings until you found a reason not to buy one.

Someone more suspicious than I may be thinking you’re just too tight to buy one. Such a suggestion would of course be outrageous. 🫢
    Main reason for not buying one is that my son, who has been with me at games for the past 15 years, is now working at the Valley on matchdays & so no longer sits with me. Don't like going & sitting on my own and also last season was enough to try the patience of a saint. 

Not that I need to explain myself to you. I've been going for almost 50 years. Selhurst/Upton Pk, all Wembley finals. St Andrews 1987. 
  • sam3110 said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

Who should we sign? 
    No idea.

Comprendez. 

Macaulay Langstaff.

Try harder
    Not to mention Notts County have already turned down offers from Championship teams. If he goes it will be easily 7 figures and he won’t be coming to league one.

Can't see Langstaff going anywhere before next summer , needs to hit 20+ in League 2 and then Notts County will get £2-3m for him from the championship. 
  • mendonca said:
    The big problem we have is Chuks A&E.

In 2023 he has been out injured since February. 

Even before this latest injury in February, he only appeared as a sub in a few matches, where in my opinion watching as a spectator he definitely lacked mobility.

Let’s us be realistic, he is never going to be fit, and
    his playing days are over.

Therefore he should be medically retired.

We need a forward capable of playing 30 or 35 matches a season, not a forward capable of playing 30 or 35 minutes once or twice a month, if we are lucky.
    Medically retired on a message board, love how you reach conclusions :-)

Agree with the frustration, though.
    Ex Norwich winger Keith O'Neil retired at 27, and said he had never managed to play more than 6 games in a row during his career - when was the last time Chucks played that much?