Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

We currently have the worst of both worlds.
    Are we sure we’re looking to bring in two strikers?

If we are I’d still rather wait a few games to potentially get two better players than rush to get a lesser player in thinking he’ll do as cover.
    We bloody well should be if we aren't.  Sorry to go full Golfie but you can't go into the season with 3 strikers if your playing two every week. 

Of we had 3 now we would still have Kanu, or Kirk, or Campbell as sub striker.  1-0 down with 15 minutes to go who you going to call?

I know that even in Powell's title winning season we started one early game with Waggy up front, fine as a one off.
    I think it will be one and one is fine if it’s a good one. 

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

with backup options being Campbell, Kanu, (Kirk if still here) (Aneke if a miracle happens) 

I think it’s probably too much to expect to have 5 proper striking options (Aneke swallows up a lot of budget so you have to count him in the equation even if he’s not playing) 
    Campbell & Kirk are not strikers. Kanu is very raw & looks out of his dept.  Is that where you think we should be aiming for?

All this make do & mend has been tried before and failed. Looks like we are aiming for mid table mediocrity again. 

Glad I havent bought a ST. 
    They can do a job for the first couple of games and be emergency backup after that. They will very rarely be needed once we’ve signed a new striker and Leaburn is back 
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

Agreed. All it takes is May doing his ankle in training on Friday or waking up with a fever, and we'll have NO senior striker on Saturday.

And from a negotiation point of view, if other clubs know we are desperate to sign another striker because of the glaring gap in our squad, they'll be able to play a really hard bargain, whereas if we have a journeyman striker who's already scored twice by mid August, we can more realistically threaten to walk away if we don't like the price.
    If it was that easy to find a journeyman who could score a couple by mid August wouldn’t we have done it?

Equally we could end up with a Hemed who’s past his best and not capable of scoring, or even bring back Bonne to fill the gap temporarily.

It Powell took that approach we wouldn’t have signed Yann, the player who signed mid September and turned us from a top 6 side to a title winning one. He was an injury away from Benson or Euell starting up front, or regularly playing someone like Wagstaff out of position.
    Powell signed Paul Hayes before Yann came in. If we had never signed Yann, we still had a decent option to play alongside BWP.
  • 11pm, September 1st. We tried to get another striker in but their club wouldn't let them go because they missed out on their target. Another we couldn't agree a fee. But don't worry as Miles should be fit in two weeks and Chuks is expected back early November after suffering a set back when he broke his toe nail.

I get we don't want to bring any old striker in for the sake of it, that we are waiting for our preferred option but it's a dangerous game to play. And we know how this normally plays out. Before 1st Sept there are 15 points up for grabs. With only 1 real striker option at the moment we could find ourselves playing catch up. It's the same old same old.
    Agree, but if your options are to wait for your preferred option or bring in any old old striker, what are they supposed to do?
    Unless they could pay big bucks for an out of favour Championship striker?
    But I admit it has the deja vu feeling right now. 
  • Redhenry said:
    We have had plenty of time to address that. I have a feeling we will bring in a kid on loan. Big gamble/risk that.
    We should bring in a proven striker.
    100% correct - although when i said this last summer i was told on here it was impossible in League 1 because they are either too good, too young, too old or not good enough - Well, we've got May now, just need 1 or 2 more.    
  • I’m not anti a loan player but would question why a PL club would send us a striker. When Miles is back the loan player would struggle for starts and then would be further down the pecking order if Aneke managed to get fit
  • edited August 2023
    Sucks that the only 2 strikers we can sign are Nombe or JCH :( 
    Truth is there aren’t many more obvious choices in our pool. 
    What is our pool? Could we get a sr loanee from above  and a jr one from the top? Can we fish in Championship and L2 as well as L1?
  • fenaddick said:
    I’m not anti a loan player but would question why a PL club would send us a striker. When Miles is back the loan player would struggle for starts and then would be further down the pecking order if Aneke managed to get fit
    Never Gonna Happen GIFs  Tenor
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Sucks that the only 2 strikers we can sign are Nombe or JCH :( 
    What is our pool? Could we get a sr loanee from above  and a jr one from the top? Can we fish in Championship and L2 as well as L1?
    If we’re in the market for buying a striker then the options are pretty much limited to the names we’ve been discussing. If a Championship striker was the subject of a bid from us we’d be looking to pay way more in wages than I expect we would be prepared to pay and be asking a Championship striker who commands a fee to drop down a division. I think it’s unlikely. What’s then left ? championship loan of a striker surplus or a PL youngster. I think with the exception of buying a Championship striker all the others are quite possible.
  • Valley11 said:
    Dickhead or not, JCH would be my pick.
    Would be the perfect battering ram for May to play off and around. Plus he weighs in with a regular haul of goals.
    Perhaps we’re waiting til the 11th hour to test Darragh’s resolve. £1m now or nothing in 12 months. 
    100% Agree 
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    I’m not anti a loan player but would question why a PL club would send us a striker. When Miles is back the loan player would struggle for starts and then would be further down the pecking order if Aneke managed to get fit
    But then isn't it also a concern that we sometimes overplay young loan players, when they might need a rest, because we don't have any other options?

46 league games a season, plus cup game, and with 5 subs a match any loan player, if decent, will get plenty of minutes.
  • We have a no dickheads rule.

If we sign JCH after receiving MM from that lot when the reviews are just as damning on his personality, I will be very disappointed. 
  • Nombe is the obvious choice. Younger with more potential and lets be honest, if we do well, it drives his price up and we make money on him. 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    As much as i like the idea of JCH and May, which i think would be probably one of the best strike forces in the division, I would concern me that it would to a degree block Mile's opportunities. Would be interesting to see if we have the ability financially now to pull off such a deal
    I really can’t see anyone paying a million let alone the silly money Peterborough want. I think if there is truth in the rumour Peterborough need the cash he could go for £500k. 
    If Posh Don't sell JCH in this window, then perhaps he'll be touted at £500k in January? With his contract running down, they'll be desperate for whatever they can get for him by then.

• Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Agreed. All it takes is May doing his ankle in training on Friday or waking up with a fever, and we'll have NO senior striker on Saturday.

And from a negotiation point of view, if other clubs know we are desperate to sign another striker because of the glaring gap in our squad, they'll be able to play a really hard bargain, whereas if we have a journeyman striker who's already scored twice by mid August, we can more realistically threaten to walk away if we don't like the price.
    If it was that easy to find a journeyman who could score a couple by mid August wouldn’t we have done it?

Equally we could end up with a Hemed who’s past his best and not capable of scoring, or even bring back Bonne to fill the gap temporarily.

It Powell took that approach we wouldn’t have signed Yann, the player who signed mid September and turned us from a top 6 side to a title winning one. He was an injury away from Benson or Euell starting up front, or regularly playing someone like Wagstaff out of position.
    Powell signed Paul Hayes before Yann came in. If we had never signed Yann, we still had a decent option to play alongside BWP.
    I know, my point was in both situations we needed a top striker but he waited for Yann rather than signed someone to temporarily give us cover.

Hayes or BWP could have got injured at any point, just as Leaburn did. The plan for the season shouldn’t change just because Leaburn is injured for a few more weeks.

If someone picks up a longer term injury then targets should change, but we’re not at the point where we should bring in a Parker or a Bonne just to have another striker in the squad.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I know, my point was in both situations we needed a top striker but he waited for Yann rather than signed someone to temporarily give us cover.

Hayes or BWP could have got injured at any point, just as Leaburn did. The plan for the season shouldn’t change just because Leaburn is injured for a few more weeks.

If someone picks up a longer term injury then targets should change, but we’re not at the point where we should bring in a Parker or a Bonne just to have another striker in the squad.
    He signed Hayes in June, then brought in Michael Smith and Jason Euell in August. Euell was very much cover in the squad, ditto Smith who was the same age as Leaburn when we signed him.
  • fenaddick said:
    Could still get 20 odd games as a 4th choice striker - more if we get any injuries.

Could actually be decent exposure to senior football without being overplayed at a young age etc.
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

If we are I’d still rather wait a few games to potentially get two better players than rush to get a lesser player in thinking he’ll do as cover.
    We bloody well should be if we aren't.  Sorry to go full Golfie but you can't go into the season with 3 strikers if your playing two every week. 

Of we had 3 now we would still have Kanu, or Kirk, or Campbell as sub striker.  1-0 down with 15 minutes to go who you going to call?

I know that even in Powell's title winning season we started one early game with Waggy up front, fine as a one off.

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

with backup options being Campbell, Kanu, (Kirk if still here) (Aneke if a miracle happens) 

I think it’s probably too much to expect to have 5 proper striking options (Aneke swallows up a lot of budget so you have to count him in the equation even if he’s not playing) 
    Campbell & Kirk are not strikers. Kanu is very raw & looks out of his dept.  Is that where you think we should be aiming for?

All this make do & mend has been tried before and failed. Looks like we are aiming for mid table mediocrity again. 

Who should we sign? 
    No idea.

If you can ask Rodwell & Scott where best to invest your money & I'll then give transfer advice.

Comprendez. 
  • fenaddick said:
    Could still get 20 odd games as a 4th choice striker - more if we get any injuries.

Could actually be decent exposure to senior football without being overplayed at a young age etc.
    I think you meant to say ‘when’.
  • Sucks that the only 2 strikers we can sign are Nombe or JCH :( 
    why.....is our pool any different to other clubs then ?  Transfer Embargo ?  Can only spend Euro's ??  Monopoly money  ??
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He signed Hayes in June, then brought in Michael Smith and Jason Euell in August. Euell was very much cover in the squad, ditto Smith who was the same age as Leaburn when we signed him.
    I know when they all signed. Signing a player like Euell is what I’m saying we shouldn’t do but you and others seem to disagree with. He didn’t start a league game and didn’t score, he was then loaned to Wimbledon later that season because he wasn’t good enough.

Is that really how we want the budget spent just so we have an extra striker in the squad? Another Bonne or Bogle to come in when that wage could potentially go to a better player that might not be available yet?

Smith wasn’t signed for the first team, he didn’t make a league appearance for us that season.
  • Sucks that the only 2 strikers we can sign are Nombe or JCH :( 
    why.....is our pool any different to other clubs then ?  Transfer Embargo ?  Can only spend Euro's ??  Monopoly money  ??
    No more like half the strikers in this league aren't going to be good enough and a waste of money, the other half won't sign here as they are either the biggest fish in their pond right now so won't come here to be 3rd/4th choice, or would cost a relative fortune as they are the most important player in their current club, so they slap massive price tags on them. 

Players from the league above are even harder to sign, and you'd complain that they couldn't cut it at a higher level, and players from the league below you'll say we have no ambition or they've never done it in League 1.
  • Brownie12 said:
    fenaddick said:

I think you meant to say ‘when’.
    Well exactly.

Last time we played 2 up top for any length of time it was under Jackson, and that was only for half a season.  Yet Stockley and Washington played 40 odd games each, Davison and Burstow over 20, Aneke 10.

Whether we sign a 4th striker or not, someone that isn't one of the main 3 will get a few games up top.
  • thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

Again, it's NOT make do and mend because absolutely nobody thinks that using Kirk/Campbell etc is a remotely viable solution in the long term. Not the fans, not the manager/coaching team. 

We signed May, agreed a deal for Smith (but he opted elsewhere), made an approach for Nombe. The club are very clearly aware that a quality striker is needed.
    Problem is when we reach Sept 1st and Leaburn isn't fit & Aneke breaks down (again) we are then stuck until January.

This exact thing happened last season. We didn't sign a striker & when Aneke wasn't fit enough to play any meaningful part of the season we were stuck with just Leaburn & Kanu. We were really only saved by JRS...........WHO HAS SINCE LEFT.

We are going into the season with just 1 recognised striker and HOPING that Leaburn will be fir in a months time & that Aneke will also be a part of our plans. 

But, as I say, I'm obviously wrong like I was last season. Trust in the process & fingers crossed that Peterborough or Exeter (or club X/Y/Z) conceed to our demands by the end of the month. 
  • Apart from the last sentence where it says unless a huge offer come in... Question is does Holden et Al think he's the difference between playoff maybes and promotion certainties?