Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Redhenry said:
    We have had plenty of time to address that. I have a feeling we will bring in a kid on loan. Big gamble/risk that.
    We should bring in a proven striker.

I think it's likely we'll see a permanent signing AND a kid on loan honestly. But strikers are gold dust and its a sellers market, we have pretty much had confirmation (via Cawley) that our first choice (Nombe) we are currently priced out of and if interest in other options like Ladapo is true they are at clubs who also need/want to buy before they sell.

The loan market is normally much more active once the season starts and squads take more shape so I think we will see a loanee come in but I see that as well as the permanent choice not instead of.
  • edited August 2023
    Redhenry said:
    We have had plenty of time to address that. I have a feeling we will bring in a kid on loan. Big gamble/risk that.
    That was May, surely?  To expect to get two L1 proven strikers in one window is pushing it.  That route leads to Maddison.
  • Redhenry said:
    That was May, surely?  To expect to get two L1 proven strikers in one window is pushing it.  That route leads to Maddison.
    Not if you want to go up.

Don't get the Maddison comment either, as he didn't work out we shouldn't try to sign good players?
  • If we by some miracle got a sustained spell from a fit and bustling Aneke we could relax.
    JRS was probably the best loan ever looking at it from every perspective, we’re not usually that lucky with loaned strikers or forwards .
  • Valley11 said:
    Dickhead or not, JCH would be my pick.
    Would be the perfect battering ram for May to play off and around. Plus he weighs in with a regular haul of goals.
    Perhaps we’re waiting til the 11th hour to test Darragh’s resolve. £1m now or nothing in 12 months. 
    Aren’t Peterborough in a spot of financial difficulties?
  • TeeC said:
    When Ipswich bought everyone that summer - did they go early or also wait til the end for a lot of them? Genuine question, not being clever 
    More importantly, when Ipswich chucked out all that money and signed 15 players within a week of the market opening, did that end up with promotion or even the playoffs ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    Redhenry said:
    Not if you want to go up.

Don't get the Maddison comment either, as he didn't work out we shouldn't try to sign good players?
    Every club in L1 wants a proven striker.  We have brought one in. If we had unlimited funds available, then yes, by all means lets just buy the best L1 players in all positions and sail home a la 2011, but those days are gone and we aren't in that position.  The Maddison comment was because if we are looking to get a player for less that they seem to be worth we end up buying into problems.  Of course we want to go up, but we aren't able to buy our way to promotion, we may have to also rely on the nous of Dean Holden to use the resources available as best he can.
  • shine166 said:
    TeeC said:
    When Ipswich bought everyone that summer - did they go early or also wait til the end for a lot of them? Genuine question, not being clever 
    More importantly, when Ipswich chucked out all that money and signed 15 players within a week of the market opening, did that end up with promotion or even the playoffs ? 
    When was that?
  • Scoham said:
    shine166 said:
    TeeC said:
    When was that?
    That was a flippant comment as they didnt sign 15 players in a week, but they signed a lot of players and finished mid table the season before last and everyone was panicking because we didn't do the same (bit like now). But if we ended up with another squad of shite then people would also complain. 
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

We currently have the worst of both worlds.
    Are we sure we’re looking to bring in two strikers?

If we are I’d still rather wait a few games to potentially get two better players than rush to get a lesser player in thinking he’ll do as cover.
    We bloody well should be if we aren't.  Sorry to go full Golfie but you can't go into the season with 3 strikers if your playing two every week. 

Of we had 3 now we would still have Kanu, or Kirk, or Campbell as sub striker.  1-0 down with 15 minutes to go who you going to call?

I know that even in Powell's title winning season we started one early game with Waggy up front, fine as a one off.
  • edited August 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

If we are I’d still rather wait a few games to potentially get two better players than rush to get a lesser player in thinking he’ll do as cover.
    We bloody well should be if we aren't.  Sorry to go full Golfie but you can't go into the season with 3 strikers if your playing two every week. 

Of we had 3 now we would still have Kanu, or Kirk, or Campbell as sub striker.  1-0 down with 15 minutes to go who you going to call?

I know that even in Powell's title winning season we started one early game with Waggy up front, fine as a one off.
    I think it will be one and one is fine if it’s a good one. 

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

with backup options being Campbell, Kanu, (Kirk if still here) (Aneke if a miracle happens) 

I think it’s probably too much to expect to have 5 proper striking options (Aneke swallows up a lot of budget so you have to count him in the equation even if he’s not playing) 
  • Valley11 said:
    Would be the perfect battering ram for May to play off and around. Plus he weighs in with a regular haul of goals.
    Perhaps we’re waiting til the 11th hour to test Darragh’s resolve. £1m now or nothing in 12 months. 
    God I hope so! Darragh MacAnthony is a wanker of the highest order. Mates with Southall is all you need to know about the bloke.
    Prefer him to Sangaard. 
  • We don't have enough attacking variety to change our approach during a game, or via the subs bench. We also don't possess any height to threaten the opposition. 

That's where I'm at with our attacking weaknesses.
  • The big problem we have is Chuks A&E.

In 2023 he has been out injured since February. 

Even before this latest injury in February, he only appeared as a sub in a few matches, where in my opinion watching as a spectator he definitely lacked mobility.

Let’s us be realistic, he is never going to be fit, and
    his playing days are over.

Therefore he should be medically retired.

We need a forward capable of playing 30 or 35 matches a season, not a forward capable of playing 30 or 35 minutes once or twice a month, if we are lucky.
    Dr Billericaydickie in the house, diagnosing players from the stands and recently, you would assume, over their garden walls and demanding their medical retirement. Somebody contact the GMC, he's gone rogue!
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    God I hope so! Darragh MacAnthony is a wanker of the highest order. Mates with Southall is all you need to know about the bloke.
    This is such a lazy opinion, the guy might be marmite but he has successfully run a league one club for years and done it well. As for being mates with Southall that isn’t true, he met him at Southalls request to do some business and get advice… not Darraghs fault what Southalls intentions were… 
  • edited August 2023
    Where is the 'JCH is a dickhead' stuff coming from? I'm sure I read the same about May before he signed.
  • Chunes said:
    Where is the 'JCH is a dickhead' stuff coming from? I'm sure I read the same about May before he signed.

We live in Peterborough and know lots of people that have met him and it is common knowledge in Peterborough that he has an attitude and is a Billy big spuds.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Ghostbusters?
  • shine166 said:
    TeeC said:
    No, they missed out on promotion the first time round... Barely finished ahead of us

But equally they kept a lot of that squad for last season (Only four of those players have left), so you could argue that they didnt need to make as many signings this time last year, instead just needed to fine tune.
  • edited August 2023
    shine166 said:
    TeeC said:
    No, they missed out on promotion the first time round... Barely finished ahead of us

But equally they kept a lot of that squad for last season (Only four of those players have left), so you could argue that they didnt need to make as many signings this time last year, instead just needed to fine tune.
    Exactly, mod table, which would semd this place into meltdown. Realistically that's probably our route too (building for the following year), although the league this year is weaker than it has been, so it'd be great to take advantage amd at least get into.the playoffs.
  • redbuttle said:
    Chunes said:

We live in Peterborough and know lots of people that have met him and it is common knowledge in Peterborough that he has an attitude and is a Billy big spuds.
    So he has a bit of an ego, big deal. If he scored 25 league goals and we went up then i don't care if he struts around thinking he's Ronaldo.
  • We are playing Orient on Saturday. The have already signed Piggott & yesterday they signed Jordan Graham (ex Gills) and looking to being in another striker.

The reason.......2 of their strikers are currently injured - 1 long term (ring any bells). 

Will be interesting to see who comes on top on Saturday. The team that plays with 1 recognised striker plus a make do & mend or the team with a coherent strategy. 
    Jordan Graham is a winger. So like us they’ve signed one striker and want to sign another.