Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• I get we need another striker logically thinking however the optimist in me says this does give a chance for a youngster to come in like Leaburn did, who knows ? Maybe we see Campbell excell as a striker or Kanu fulfill his potential
  • By the end of august our squad will
    be ready for top 2 ….stay calm  
  • edited August 2023
    Leaburn back before the end of August is very good news, was worried we would lose him for at least a couple of months.
    Let’s hope the lack of a pre season isn’t an issue for him. I think players that don’t do a thorough pre season often struggle.
    I agree but we do have cup games which will help. It could be a mistake to rush him back though. Having said that, the club will know where he is fitness wise better than we do.

As for the makeshift strike partnership, it doesn't mean we won't score goals. I think we will at this level. I think it isn't a long term option as you need cover and indeed teams may counter our threats over time.
  • Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Right - here comes all the negative comments about the ownership.

Don't think any new players through the door before Saturday - I think we will see a bit more action towards the end of the window now. As players will start to know if they are in plans of their clubs. Few interesting targets, who might want to move towards the end, if they are not featuring apparently. 

It is about signing the right players instead of signing a player because we need to. That has been our problem in the past!
    This window is the new ownerships first big test, especially in how they are viewed by a good number of fans. The window so far has gone well, with good players signed on good contracts but it’s clear that there are still gaps in this team. I think most will have patience with management waiting for the right players but a poor start to the season and if the window closes with obvious gaps in the team still evident, will not be a good luck on the new ownership. 
    Fwiw I think we’ll start the season ok and we’ll strengthen further in the coming few weeks. 

The next few weeks…
  • Redhenry said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Right - here comes all the negative comments about the ownership.

Don't think any new players through the door before Saturday - I think we will see a bit more action towards the end of the window now. As players will start to know if they are in plans of their clubs. Few interesting targets, who might want to move towards the end, if they are not featuring apparently. 

It is about signing the right players instead of signing a player because we need to. That has been our problem in the past!

Are you on their payroll? :) 
    The lack of a striker with the season starting Saturday, is a massive negative for me...
    Wait until we play the game and see how we get on . Then decide. Just a suggestion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Manuel Lanzini has signed for River Plate. 

Another 1 we missed out on 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

We currently have the worst of both worlds.
    Are we sure we’re looking to bring in two strikers?

If we are I’d still rather wait a few games to potentially get two better players than rush to get a lesser player in thinking he’ll do as cover.
  • Just look back at the past 2 pages of this thread and you will see how desperate we are for a striker. No wonder other teams are holding their cards close and not willing to let their strikers go without a large fee. Just have patience, there is no chance we will have a striker before Saturday and people moaning on here isn't going to change that outcome. On a brighter note we have about 5 spare wingers so hopefully one of them can put in a shift in the striker role.
  • We definitely need two strikers as Aneke is a write off and Leaburn and Kanu very raw.

Unfortunately we will only get one in. In spite of the goals scored last year, this is the area of the team that makes me feel we will fall short of the top six.
  • edited August 2023
    Wait until we play the game and see how we get on . Then decide. Just a suggestion. 

We have done that too many times in recent years!
  • Sponsored links:

• When Ipswich bought everyone that summer - did they go early or also wait til the end for a lot of them? Genuine question, not being clever 
  • edited August 2023
    Still look well short if you ask me. The bench for the pre season games has looked threadbare.

Will take a lot for me to say this new dawn is any better than the last 5!
    I'm still not convinced.
  • Happy to wait for the right players and think we will get them. Feeling confident we will make playoff’s and wouldn’t be surprised by being in top two.
  • We definitely need two strikers as Aneke is a write off and Leaburn and Kanu very raw.

Unfortunately we will only get one in. In spite of the goals scored last year, this is the area of the team that makes me feel we will fall short of the top six.
    Depends on form and fitness in the end really. We've had such bad luck with injuries recently but in 11/12 we won the league by miles with three proper strikers in place for a lot of it, and two of them played so much that one of them had to be loaned out to get some game time. We started that season with BWP, Hayes, Benson and Euell and just the first two were enough until we got Yann. We sold Benson and we did bring in Haynes and Clarke (and N'Guessan but mostly played him wide) but Powell didn't want Clarke and Haynes barely got a sniff. We managed to get through one of them having a 3 month goal drought and still walked the league. In 18/19 we only really had Taylor and Grant with Igor limping through and Ajose floating about somewhere for the first half of the season. Then we lost Ajose and Grant and brought in Parker who scored 0 goals. In the end in both seasons we had limited options and a period where one of those options either wasn't scoring or had left and still did what we needed to. We absolutely need to bring one more in and then we need to keep our players fit for once and build a team that works.
    It's actually ridiculous looking through other teams' successful seasons and seeing that all their key players played 40+ league games. We had four do that, and two of them don't play for us anymore. Our 5th highest appearance-maker in L1 was Jack Payne (12+27). Part of that is because the players weren't good enough but we would have been in a better place if Egbo, Sess, Leaburn, CBT, O'Connell, Chuks, McGrandles and even Stockley hadn't been crippled for so much of it. If we sign Nombe and he and May do well then it'll be Leaburn pushing to try and get in and no real need to change it. We're the only team around that seriously, actively needs two players in every position plus youth players in the wings every season because we snap footballers like twiglets.
  • We have had plenty of time to address that. I have a feeling we will bring in a kid on loan. Big gamble/risk that.
    We should bring in a proven striker.
  • The big problem we have is Chuks A&E.

In 2023 he has been out injured since February. 

Even before this latest injury in February, he only appeared as a sub in a few matches, where in my opinion watching as a spectator he definitely lacked mobility.

Let’s us be realistic, he is never going to be fit, and
    his playing days are over.

Therefore he should be medically retired.

We need a forward capable of playing 30 or 35 matches a season, not a forward capable of playing 30 or 35 minutes once or twice a month, if we are lucky.
    Medically retired on a message board, love how you reach conclusions :-)

Agree with the frustration, though.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

We currently have the worst of both worlds.
    I still have my shilling on a young striker on loan. In fact I would go as far as to say that I am surprised that it has not been done by now.
  • Wouldn't be surprised to see someone from a championship club that's maybe dropped down the pecking order and a PL U21 loan. Just think Exeter are going to hold out too long on Nombe and I'm not really a huge fan of JCH.

Now most of the PL clubs are back from preseason tours here there and everywhere maybe we'll start to see some movement.