Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    TeeC said:
    When Ipswich bought everyone that summer - did they go early or also wait til the end for a lot of them? Genuine question, not being clever 
    More importantly, when Ipswich chucked out all that money and signed 15 players within a week of the market opening, did that end up with promotion or even the playoffs ? 
    No, they missed out on promotion the first time round... Barely finished ahead of us

But equally they kept a lot of that squad for last season (Only four of those players have left), so you could argue that they didnt need to make as many signings this time last year, instead just needed to fine tune.
    Exactly, mod table, which would semd this place into meltdown. Realistically that's probably our route too (building for the following year), although the league this year is weaker than it has been, so it'd be great to take advantage amd at least get into.the playoffs.
    I think they just threw shit and the wall and hoped it would stick that first year, and Paul Cook despite his good record at this level was a massive failure - I remember us playing Ipswich at the end of that season when they beat us 4-0, under McKenna just had a feeling they'd get it right, and reckon it would have worked had he started the season there.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

We currently have the worst of both worlds.
    Are we sure we’re looking to bring in two strikers?

If we are I’d still rather wait a few games to potentially get two better players than rush to get a lesser player in thinking he’ll do as cover.
    We bloody well should be if we aren't.  Sorry to go full Golfie but you can't go into the season with 3 strikers if your playing two every week. 

Of we had 3 now we would still have Kanu, or Kirk, or Campbell as sub striker.  1-0 down with 15 minutes to go who you going to call?

I know that even in Powell's title winning season we started one early game with Waggy up front, fine as a one off.
    I agree we should, I’m just not assuming the new ownership will see it that way. They may see Kanu as someone to develop or Campbell as a genuine option up front. We’re only guessing at this stage other than knowing we want at least one more.
  • shine166 said:
    TeeC said:
    When Ipswich bought everyone that summer - did they go early or also wait til the end for a lot of them? Genuine question, not being clever 
    More importantly, when Ipswich chucked out all that money and signed 15 players within a week of the market opening, did that end up with promotion or even the playoffs ? 
    No, they missed out on promotion the first time round... Barely finished ahead of us

But equally they kept a lot of that squad for last season (Only four of those players have left), so you could argue that they didnt need to make as many signings this time last year, instead just needed to fine tune.
    They barely finished above us that season...by about 20 points! (& completely outclassed us at Portman road in each of the last two seasons).
  • CafcWest said:
    I'm hoping against hope that the club are releasing no updates on Chuks as he is our secret weapon to be unleashed, fully fit, and ready for 90 minutes on Saturday....
    No doubt he’d trip over the leash.
  • edited August 2023
    shine166 said:
    TeeC said:

They barely finished above us that season...by about 20 points! (& completely outclassed us at Portman road in each of the last two seasons).
    11-pts and two places... It was more the latter that I meant with them barely finishing above us
  • ButtleJR said:
    Chunes said:
    Where is the 'JCH is a dickhead' stuff coming from? I'm sure I read the same about May before he signed.
    I have been around him a handful of times, he is very similar to Marcus Maddison. Pretty sure he wouldn't come to us anyway and worth saying that he's come back for pre season very overweight and looks miles off it. 
    Would be very Charlton to sign him and he ends up being shit and scoring about 3
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

Agreed. All it takes is May doing his ankle in training on Friday or waking up with a fever, and we'll have NO senior striker on Saturday.

And from a negotiation point of view, if other clubs know we are desperate to sign another striker because of the glaring gap in our squad, they'll be able to play a really hard bargain, whereas if we have a journeyman striker who's already scored twice by mid August, we can more realistically threaten to walk away if we don't like the price.
    If it was that easy to find a journeyman who could score a couple by mid August wouldn’t we have done it?

Equally we could end up with a Hemed who’s past his best and not capable of scoring, or even bring back Bonne to fill the gap temporarily.

It Powell took that approach we wouldn’t have signed Yann, the player who signed mid September and turned us from a top 6 side to a title winning one. He was an injury away from Benson or Euell starting up front, or regularly playing someone like Wagstaff out of position.
  • Sponsored links:

• redbuttle said:
    Chunes said:
    Where is the 'JCH is a dickhead' stuff coming from? I'm sure I read the same about May before he signed.

We live in Peterborough and know lots of people that have met him and it is common knowledge in Peterborough that he has an attitude and is a Billy big spuds.
    So he has a bit of an ego, big deal. If he scored 25 league goals and we went up then i don't care if he struts around thinking he's Ronaldo.

In that case let's get Taylor back
  • Valley11 said:
    Dickhead or not, JCH would be my pick.
    Would be the perfect battering ram for May to play off and around. Plus he weighs in with a regular haul of goals.
    Perhaps we’re waiting til the 11th hour to test Darragh’s resolve. £1m now or nothing in 12 months. 
    Aren’t Peterborough in a spot of financial difficulties?
    God I hope so! Darragh MacAnthony is a wanker of the highest order. Mates with Southall is all you need to know about the bloke.
    I imagine he was fooled as many of us were. He does what he thinks is best for his own club and what is wrong with that. 
  • Ipswich would need to sign at least 2 strikers for us to have a chance at Ladapo. Don’t think that one is happening 
  • CafcWest said:
    I'm hoping against hope that the club are releasing no updates on Chuks as he is our secret weapon to be unleashed, fully fit, and ready for 90 minutes on Saturday....
    So secret I'd forgotten all about him.
  • I asked a mate who has been a lifelong Posh supporter about JCH, He replied “ I believe Posh were touting JCH initially at c. £4m! Whilst that shouldn’t be too outrageous a starting price to be negotiated down for a player who has scored 60 goals in his last two League One seasons, I have never been totally convinced by him - slow and not good at holding the ball up.” 
  • As much as i like the idea of JCH and May, which i think would be probably one of the best strike forces in the division, I would concern me that it would to a degree block Mile's opportunities. Would be interesting to see if we have the ability financially now to pull off such a deal
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Agreed. All it takes is May doing his ankle in training on Friday or waking up with a fever, and we'll have NO senior striker on Saturday.

And from a negotiation point of view, if other clubs know we are desperate to sign another striker because of the glaring gap in our squad, they'll be able to play a really hard bargain, whereas if we have a journeyman striker who's already scored twice by mid August, we can more realistically threaten to walk away if we don't like the price.
    If it was that easy to find a journeyman who could score a couple by mid August wouldn’t we have done it?

Equally we could end up with a Hemed who’s past his best and not capable of scoring, or even bring back Bonne to fill the gap temporarily.

It Powell took that approach we wouldn’t have signed Yann, the player who signed mid September and turned us from a top 6 side to a title winning one. He was an injury away from Benson or Euell starting up front, or regularly playing someone like Wagstaff out of position.
    Yes but he already had Benson and had signed Euall.  Without Yann we still had 4.  Cherry on the cake stuff.

No one, as far as I can see, is suggesting we don't wait and get the right "main" striker.  Even if Leaburn was fit we would be starting the season without a senior striker on the bench.  We need another one. 
  • Rumours rumours rumours
  • I asked a mate who has been a lifelong Posh supporter about JCH, He replied “ I believe Posh were touting JCH initially at c. £4m! Whilst that shouldn’t be too outrageous a starting price to be negotiated down for a player who has scored 60 goals in his last two League One seasons, I have never been totally convinced by him - slow and not good at holding the ball up.” 
    4 mill for someone who failed in the championship and only has 1 year left on his contract 

• CAFCDAZ said:
    As much as i like the idea of JCH and May, which i think would be probably one of the best strike forces in the division, I would concern me that it would to a degree block Mile's opportunities. Would be interesting to see if we have the ability financially now to pull off such a deal
    I really can’t see anyone paying a million let alone the silly money Peterborough want. I think if there is truth in the rumour Peterborough need the cash he could go for £500k. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Are we sure we’re looking to bring in two strikers?

If we are I’d still rather wait a few games to potentially get two better players than rush to get a lesser player in thinking he’ll do as cover.
    We bloody well should be if we aren't.  Sorry to go full Golfie but you can't go into the season with 3 strikers if your playing two every week. 

Of we had 3 now we would still have Kanu, or Kirk, or Campbell as sub striker.  1-0 down with 15 minutes to go who you going to call?

I know that even in Powell's title winning season we started one early game with Waggy up front, fine as a one off.
    I think it will be one and one is fine if it’s a good one. 

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

with backup options being Campbell, Kanu, (Kirk if still here) (Aneke if a miracle happens) 

I think it’s probably too much to expect to have 5 proper striking options (Aneke swallows up a lot of budget so you have to count him in the equation even if he’s not playing) 
    Campbell & Kirk are not strikers. Kanu is very raw & looks out of his dept.  Is that where you think we should be aiming for?

All this make do & mend has been tried before and failed. Looks like we are aiming for mid table mediocrity again. 

Glad I havent bought a ST. 
    Who should we sign? 
  • Sucks that the only 2 strikers we can sign are Nombe or JCH :( 
    Truth is there aren’t many more obvious choices in our pool. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yes but he already had Benson and had signed Euall.  Without Yann we still had 4.  Cherry on the cake stuff.

No one, as far as I can see, is suggesting we don't wait and get the right "main" striker.  Even if Leaburn was fit we would be starting the season without a senior striker on the bench.  We need another one. 
    I’ve said I agree we need two more. Neither Benson or Euell were good enough, hence they both moved on later that season.

Signing a Euell equivalent isn’t what we need. It wasn’t an issue as we were fortunate with injuries, brought in Yann later on and had the option of short term loans outside the summer and January windows.

Without the option of short term loans it’s important we don’t waste budget just to fill a gap for a few weeks.
  • I get we need another striker logically thinking however the optimist in me says this does give a chance for a youngster to come in like Leaburn did, who knows ? Maybe we see Campbell excell as a striker or Kanu fulfill his potential
    I think we’ve been relying on maybes for too long now. Yes, it would be great if they broke through, but would rather have a couple of excellent signings for them to compete with for a place in the side. 👍