Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• SexyDave said:
    Nombe not for sale apparently...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66392640
    Famous last words. The manager doesn't  even have a say if his Board decide to sell the player over his head for the £££££££.

We've all seen that happen before. :)

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

We currently have the worst of both worlds.
    Agreed. All it takes is May doing his ankle in training on Friday or waking up with a fever, and we'll have NO senior striker on Saturday.

And from a negotiation point of view, if other clubs know we are desperate to sign another striker because of the glaring gap in our squad, they'll be able to play a really hard bargain, whereas if we have a journeyman striker who's already scored twice by mid August, we can more realistically threaten to walk away if we don't like the price.
    If it was that easy to find a journeyman who could score a couple by mid August wouldn’t we have done it?

Equally we could end up with a Hemed who’s past his best and not capable of scoring, or even bring back Bonne to fill the gap temporarily.

It Powell took that approach we wouldn’t have signed Yann, the player who signed mid September and turned us from a top 6 side to a title winning one. He was an injury away from Benson or Euell starting up front, or regularly playing someone like Wagstaff out of position.
    Powell signed Paul Hayes before Yann came in. If we had never signed Yann, we still had a decent option to play alongside BWP.
    I know, my point was in both situations we needed a top striker but he waited for Yann rather than signed someone to temporarily give us cover.

Hayes or BWP could have got injured at any point, just as Leaburn did. The plan for the season shouldn’t change just because Leaburn is injured for a few more weeks.

If someone picks up a longer term injury then targets should change, but we’re not at the point where we should bring in a Parker or a Bonne just to have another striker in the squad.
    He signed Hayes in June, then brought in Michael Smith and Jason Euell in August. Euell was very much cover in the squad, ditto Smith who was the same age as Leaburn when we signed him.
    And we didn't let Benson go until we had Clarke.  Euall stayed around until we signed Haynes as well.

It's nonsense to compare the situations because Powell had 4 or 5 strikers before we signed Yann. So he could afford to wait.  We have got two.

Would anyone be so against us brining in a body if we only had 2 center backs?

I am genuinely surprised that people think 1 "star" striker is enough and we don't need someone half decent as well.
    They don't. Literally nobody thinks that. The only debate is about the risk/reward of taking longer to try and sign a "proven" striker vs going for a less impressive but more immediately available one.
  • I'm sure the club are dong all it can to resolve the lack of striker situation, they are certainly equally aware as we are that it is a priority and needs resolving prior to end of August (or 1st September to be precise), so all the doom merchants need to chill a bit before they burst a blood vessel...🙄
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Saying much the same stuff as Exeter are saying about Nombe.

Clubs are going to be doing everything they can to hold onto their main men before the season starts. It’s never going to be easy to prize them away, especially if the selling club isn’t desperate for the money.
  • SexyDave said:

Interesting expression on the face of player behind him!

"Mate, what have you put in my water.."
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Would rather wait and get the players in that Dean and co want, think we've all had enough of 'journeyman' type players being signed,just because its a player in a position we need
    We really need 2 strikers and one of them, in all likelihood is going to be a journeyman or a young loan.  

We have got 5 games before the window closes, I would rather a striker, even if its a 6 month loan or a short term contract, in the building ASAP.  Then you can afford to wait for your first choice target.

Are we sure we’re looking to bring in two strikers?

If we are I’d still rather wait a few games to potentially get two better players than rush to get a lesser player in thinking he’ll do as cover.
    We bloody well should be if we aren't.  Sorry to go full Golfie but you can't go into the season with 3 strikers if your playing two every week. 

Of we had 3 now we would still have Kanu, or Kirk, or Campbell as sub striker.  1-0 down with 15 minutes to go who you going to call?

I know that even in Powell's title winning season we started one early game with Waggy up front, fine as a one off.
    I think it will be one and one is fine if it’s a good one. 

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

with backup options being Campbell, Kanu, (Kirk if still here) (Aneke if a miracle happens) 

I think it’s probably too much to expect to have 5 proper striking options (Aneke swallows up a lot of budget so you have to count him in the equation even if he’s not playing) 
    Campbell & Kirk are not strikers. Kanu is very raw & looks out of his dept.  Is that where you think we should be aiming for?

All this make do & mend has been tried before and failed. Looks like we are aiming for mid table mediocrity again. 

Glad I havent bought a ST. 
    Again, it's NOT make do and mend because absolutely nobody thinks that using Kirk/Campbell etc is a remotely viable solution in the long term. Not the fans, not the manager/coaching team. 

We signed May, agreed a deal for Smith (but he opted elsewhere), made an approach for Nombe. The club are very clearly aware that a quality striker is needed.
    Problem is when we reach Sept 1st and Leaburn isn't fit & Aneke breaks down (again) we are then stuck until January.

This exact thing happened last season. We didn't sign a striker & when Aneke wasn't fit enough to play any meaningful part of the season we were stuck with just Leaburn & Kanu. We were really only saved by JRS...........WHO HAS SINCE LEFT.

We are going into the season with just 1 recognised striker and HOPING that Leaburn will be fir in a months time & that Aneke will also be a part of our plans. 

But, as I say, I'm obviously wrong like I was last season. Trust in the process & fingers crossed that Peterborough or Exeter (or club X/Y/Z) conceed to our demands by the end of the month. 
    Can you remind me when JRS.........WHO HAS SINCE LEFT actually signed? Was it mid august after the season had started?

this time last year was when the term operation break even was being thrown around, this year there seems to be a plan and better players are coming in. It's obvious that the club are trying to add more bodies going after smith, nombe and the Coventry player. it's unfortunate that none of these hasn't happened. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. I seriously doubt that the squad won't be improved before the window closes in a months time. In summary, this time, I do think you are wrong!
  • Proven goal scorer, on the cheap? 
    Let me introduce you to the pilfenmaster Ronnie Schwartz… oh wait 
  • SexyDave said:

Code for, bid more and he'll be gone. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Agreed. All it takes is May doing his ankle in training on Friday or waking up with a fever, and we'll have NO senior striker on Saturday.

And from a negotiation point of view, if other clubs know we are desperate to sign another striker because of the glaring gap in our squad, they'll be able to play a really hard bargain, whereas if we have a journeyman striker who's already scored twice by mid August, we can more realistically threaten to walk away if we don't like the price.
    If it was that easy to find a journeyman who could score a couple by mid August wouldn’t we have done it?

Equally we could end up with a Hemed who’s past his best and not capable of scoring, or even bring back Bonne to fill the gap temporarily.

It Powell took that approach we wouldn’t have signed Yann, the player who signed mid September and turned us from a top 6 side to a title winning one. He was an injury away from Benson or Euell starting up front, or regularly playing someone like Wagstaff out of position.
    Powell signed Paul Hayes before Yann came in. If we had never signed Yann, we still had a decent option to play alongside BWP.
    I know, my point was in both situations we needed a top striker but he waited for Yann rather than signed someone to temporarily give us cover.

Hayes or BWP could have got injured at any point, just as Leaburn did. The plan for the season shouldn’t change just because Leaburn is injured for a few more weeks.

If someone picks up a longer term injury then targets should change, but we’re not at the point where we should bring in a Parker or a Bonne just to have another striker in the squad.
    He signed Hayes in June, then brought in Michael Smith and Jason Euell in August. Euell was very much cover in the squad, ditto Smith who was the same age as Leaburn when we signed him.
    And we didn't let Benson go until we had Clarke.  Euall stayed around until we signed Haynes as well.

It's nonsense to compare the situations because Powell had 4 or 5 strikers before we signed Yann. So he could afford to wait.  We have got two.

Would anyone be so against us brining in a body if we only had 2 center backs?

I am genuinely surprised that people think 1 "star" striker is enough and we don't need someone half decent as well.
    They don't. Literally nobody thinks that. The only debate is about the risk/reward of taking longer to try and sign a "proven" striker vs going for a less impressive but more immediately available one.
    But they are. We need both, someone that is immediately avaliable and has two arms and legs and a "proven" striker, if we can get the former in we can afford to wait for our Yann.

At the moment we are a tight grown or a heavy cold away from a front two of Kirk and Campbell.

What would be ridiculous is if we signed a Parker type on a 3 year contract. 

What need the striking version of Terrell Thomas, who ever that maybe.
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

If we are I’d still rather wait a few games to potentially get two better players than rush to get a lesser player in thinking he’ll do as cover.
    We bloody well should be if we aren't.  Sorry to go full Golfie but you can't go into the season with 3 strikers if your playing two every week. 

Of we had 3 now we would still have Kanu, or Kirk, or Campbell as sub striker.  1-0 down with 15 minutes to go who you going to call?

I know that even in Powell's title winning season we started one early game with Waggy up front, fine as a one off.

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

with backup options being Campbell, Kanu, (Kirk if still here) (Aneke if a miracle happens) 

I think it’s probably too much to expect to have 5 proper striking options (Aneke swallows up a lot of budget so you have to count him in the equation even if he’s not playing) 
    Campbell & Kirk are not strikers. Kanu is very raw & looks out of his dept.  Is that where you think we should be aiming for?

All this make do & mend has been tried before and failed. Looks like we are aiming for mid table mediocrity again. 

Who should we sign? 
    No idea.
    Sucks that the only 2 strikers we can sign are Nombe or JCH :( 
    Truth is there aren’t many more obvious choices in our pool. 
    why.....is our pool any different to other clubs then ?  Transfer Embargo ?  Can only spend Euro's ??  Monopoly money  ??

If you can ask Rodwell & Scott where best to invest your money & I'll then give transfer advice.

Comprendez. 
    This football lark is a piece of piss.
    I don't know why more people don't get involved in it.
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

Who should we sign? 
    No idea.
    Sucks that the only 2 strikers we can sign are Nombe or JCH :( 
    Truth is there aren’t many more obvious choices in our pool. 
    why.....is our pool any different to other clubs then ?  Transfer Embargo ?  Can only spend Euro's ??  Monopoly money  ??

If you can ask Rodwell & Scott where best to invest your money & I'll then give transfer advice.

Comprendez. 
    This football lark is a piece of piss.
    I don't know why more people don't get involved in it.
    Getting more and more FM by the day. 
  • shine166 said:
    SexyDave said:

Exeter might want to hang on until January but it’s risky for them. If he doesn’t sell in January then he walks for nothing and I can’t see a club the stature of Exeter allowing £500k +/- slip away. They either replace him now or January with the money he brings in or replace him in the summer without it. 
  • SexyDave said:

I put this story on here about a week ago where the manager was saying the same thing. What he means is, increase your bid and maybe. I also put up here about Exeter saying they have made £2.5m on outgoings so far, so not desperate to sell 
  • ross1 said:
    SexyDave said:

I put this story on here about a week ago where the manager was saying the same thing. What he means is, increase your bid and maybe. I also put up here about Exeter saying they have made £2.5m on outgoings so far, so not desperate to sell 
    But desperate not have Nombe walk for nothing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• For any avoidance of doubt I do think we will sign a "star striker" before the window closes.  I also firmly belive we need a 4th and they don't need to be at a level of who ever else comes in, May and Leaburn.

They just need to be better than any of the non strikers we may end up using and the kids that aren't ready.  I don't think that's asking too much.

In all honesty it's probably a legacy issue as the other 5 strikers we have had recently have left, or are Chuks. And were never suitably replaced.
  • ross1 said:
    SexyDave said:

If they've got so much money in reserve why are they not willing to fulfil their "star players" contract demands? IMO the whole thing is both managers are trying to make it seem like they don't need this transfer to go through i.e. the Leaburn injury update.
  • edited August 2023
    shine166 said:
    SexyDave said:

Exeter might want to hang on until January but it’s risky for them. If he doesn’t sell in January then he walks for nothing and I can’t see a club the stature of Exeter allowing £500k +/- slip away. They either replace him now or January with the money he brings in or replace him in the summer without it. 
    Exeter staying in league 1 rather than dropping down to league 2 is probably worth £1m+ to them so that’s why their price is so high. If they sell him they will most likely be relegated. They rather lose him for free and stay up than lose him for less than £1m but get relegated 
  • NabySarr said:
    shine166 said:
    SexyDave said:

Exeter staying in league 1 rather than dropping down to league 2 is probably worth £1m+ to them so that’s why their price is so high. If they sell him they will most likely be relegated. They rather lose him for free and stay up than lose him for less than £1m but get relegated 
    Sell him now and they have 4 weeks and £3.5m to pay off debts and sign some players
  • thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

Again, it's NOT make do and mend because absolutely nobody thinks that using Kirk/Campbell etc is a remotely viable solution in the long term. Not the fans, not the manager/coaching team. 

We signed May, agreed a deal for Smith (but he opted elsewhere), made an approach for Nombe. The club are very clearly aware that a quality striker is needed.
    Problem is when we reach Sept 1st and Leaburn isn't fit & Aneke breaks down (again) we are then stuck until January.

This exact thing happened last season. We didn't sign a striker & when Aneke wasn't fit enough to play any meaningful part of the season we were stuck with just Leaburn & Kanu. We were really only saved by JRS...........WHO HAS SINCE LEFT.

We are going into the season with just 1 recognised striker and HOPING that Leaburn will be fir in a months time & that Aneke will also be a part of our plans. 

But, as I say, I'm obviously wrong like I was last season. Trust in the process & fingers crossed that Peterborough or Exeter (or club X/Y/Z) conceed to our demands by the end of the month

Isn't that the crux of basically every transfer ever?

If you want to remove the club negotiation step, we could look at free agents. But then you'd be upset that we were picking up other clubs' unwanted scraps.

Perhaps a bit patience might be in order? There's still four more weeks to go.
  • SexyDave said:

Everyone for sale …. He says if we get a big offer then he will leave but not before … 600,000 not classed as a big offer ? clearly holding out for the 1 mill , no chance . 
  • thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

But, as I say, I'm obviously wrong like I was last season. Trust in the process & fingers crossed that Peterborough or Exeter (or club X/Y/Z) conceed to our demands by the end of the month

If you want to remove the club negotiation step, we could look at free agents. But then you'd be upset that we were picking up other clubs' unwanted scraps.

Special list of free agents...

Premier League:
    - Diego Costa (age 34)
    - Billy Sharp (37)
    - Lyle Taylor (33)

Championship:
    - Britt Assombalonga (30)
    - Rey Manaj (26)
    - Connor Wickham (30)
    - Florian Kamberi (28)
    - Troy Deeney (35)
    - Chris Martin (34)
    - Martyn Waghorn (33)
    - Fraizer Campbell (35)
    - Isaac Vassell (29)

League One:
    - Macauley Bonne (27)
    - James Wilson (27)
    - Gary Madine (32)
    - Shane Long (36)
    - Christian Norton (22)
    - Sam Winnall (32)
    - Tobi Sho-Silva (28)
    - Sonny Fish (19)

Scottish Prem:
    - Alfredo Morelos (27)
    - Dominic Samuel (29)
    - Maxime Biamou (32)
    - Alex Jakubiak (26)
    - Eetu Vertainen (24)
    - Cillian Sheridan (34)
  • thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

May
    Leaburn 
    New Signing 

Special list of free agents...

Premier League:
    - Diego Costa (age 34)
    - Billy Sharp (37)
    - Lyle Taylor (33)

Championship:
    - Britt Assombalonga (30)
    - Rey Manaj (26)
    - Connor Wickham (30)
    - Florian Kamberi (28)
    - Troy Deeney (35)
    - Chris Martin (34)