Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• It is only fair to judge the new group on what has happened since they became owners, so far they have made some good quality signings but we all agree more needs to be done. Have faith - we will be siging more good quality players.

I expect at least 3-4 more new signings, with a similar amount of deadwood being moved on.

A reasonable stance but that means Sandgaard gets the credit for what looks, at present, the best signing of the summer in Alfie May
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Jones played against Aberdeen so had played a pre-season game before the season started but certainly there have been some (Jones, Edun, Camara, Taylor) but not all (May, Isted) not up to speed when they signed.

Some because they had pre-existing injuries, others, like Edun, who'd been training outside the regular squad at their old clubs.

Recruitment does, from the outside at least, appeared to have reached an impasse.

I suspect that this is because there is a wage budget plus a target squad size.

So players need to be moved on. Four was the number I heard (let's not rehash the much repeated debate about which four) and two, a striker and a right wing back, coming in.

I think @Redhenry was given an unnecessarily hard time for expressing legitimate concerns about the squad depth and suitability AS IT STANDS.

The squad ISN'T ready either in fitness or in positions covered. Holden has said it himself.

But at the same time we're still three weeks away from the end of the transfer window, a period that we know is the most hectic and when more deals get done.

I share RedHenry's doubts about how effective Scott's January dealings were but accept he was coming in at short notice to clear the decks, which he did well, albeit using a lot of outward loans that are now back at Sparrows Lane. The January incoming signings however were nearly all disappointing to one degree or another.

I don't buy the "they have only been here two weeks" excuse either.  The takeover was in the pipeline for months and we know TS and GFP were consulting on transfers throughout the summer.

It maybe GFP's desire to be seen to be making the deals that has delayed some transfers.

And then you have some clubs (Exeter) who don't just roll over because big boy club Charlton offer a deal. Unsurprisingly, they want to hold onto Nombe and if not then get some big dollars for him.

Who said running a football club was easy?

Of course, Rodwell and Scott know all this. I don't make the silly assumption we so often see on social media that lack of signings or even lack of rumours means lack of activity.

We shall see how it pans out over the rest of the month and then, the real test, over the season.

I think this is a fair reflection.. I think everyone knows we are short at the moment, but few players need to leave, I know they won't want to be left carrying the baby with some of the players. I think let's wait until the end of the month before making judgement.

Also in January, there was many obstacles in the way.. TS wasn't fully in on SE7, so made it difficult in terms of transfers! 
    I think the talk around what happened in January is fairly pointless. TS owned the club and as such would clearly not allow a new group to come in and spend his money before they owned the club, conversely the new group would not be putting in money to improve the squad of a club they may never own if things went south (which they very nearly did!).
    Former senior member of the team shared with me that SG brought in MH and MB (recognised that didn’t work out), while AS did bring in the loans (so ineffective that I can barely remember their names). There was a financial arrangement between the parties and the two AS/SG primary objectives were to clear the out of favour/deadwood players and bring in enough talent to help us survive (as we were at the mid-lower end of the table at the time). 

Those were specific tasks with mixed results, arguably SG’s MH coming out pick of the bunch.

AS has proven he can shift players via no doubt an extensive network ✅ while we are yet to see how new recruits under this new leadership will work out? I remain optimistic. 

It is such a long season. As long as we can stay within a 1.5 points a game ratio until we are at our strongest fitness and recruitment wise, I think we will be in for a very competitive season. A lot of the right ingredients seem to be there for me. 
  • It is only fair to judge the new group on what has happened since they became owners, so far they have made some good quality signings but we all agree more needs to be done. Have faith - we will be siging more good quality players.

I expect at least 3-4 more new signings, with a similar amount of deadwood being moved on.

A reasonable stance but that means Sandgaard gets the credit for what looks, at present, the best signing of the summer in Alfie May
    To be fair, in January TS tried to back peddle on a deal with SE7 partners hence the other guy come in for a few months, where this summer, a deal was agreed, and they knew they was going to take over.
  • Sage said:
    Being brutally honest I’m more concerned about the defence than the attack. I think the attack will sort itself out but I’m worried that our back three / four are looking all over the place. We got away with it against Orient but we won’t against better teams. Hector and Ness in particular look shadows of last season. Early I know but the warning signs are there.
    Been saying for a while that you can’t expect to concede 20-30 less goals this season with largely the same defence that we had last season, the same one that conceded 66 goals.

Take Hector out and in terms of actual quality, we very much lack any. We have young players who have done well in the main, some completely new to men’s first team football, but that’s not enough or good enough to make the difference required.

Last two times we got out of League One, we had Morrison, Taylor, and Cort when we won the league and then Bauer, Pearce, Sarr, and Bielik in defence covering at times through play-offs.

Thats the standard you need to get out this league.

We have recruited well so far and we will bring in more players. It would be all for nothing if we do not sign another quality centre back because it’s the defence that will let us down this season if we don’t achieve what we all want and hope for.
    I agree we need a couple more defenders in but also disagree that our defence is THAT bad. This isn’t the defence that finished 10th, we had Lavelle or O’Connell partnering Inniss for the first half of the season (with Chin and Clayden at left back sometimes!). Once Ness and Hector came into it in the second half of the season we were the 8th best team in league 1. Combine that with a weaker league and I don’t think we are very far off a top 6 side already. Leaburn and May are one of the best frontlines in the league (yes we need other options), our midfield is one of the best in the league, defence is the weak point at the moment but I don’t think it’s far off. 

A left footed centre back would be great, but these are difficult to find and overpriced because of their value to any team playing 3 at the back. This should have been a priority position this summer but it might be that there isn’t anyone good enough that we can sign that fits the mould. Hopefully there is a PL loan left footed CB that we can bring in, but even then that’s quite risky bringing in a centre back who hasn’t played much senior football 
  • Sage said:
    I also wonder how much the decision of Gallen to leave during the window is going to finder our business.

Targets may have changed but there will also be players that we have wanted for a while. Gallen may have developed a rapport with some and other agents, now that has gone we could be starting from scratch in that department.

I accept him leaving, just think at the end of the window might have been better for all.
    The timing of the change of regime has been unfortunate. If they arrived in March, then they would have hit the summer transfer window completely in control, and with targets already sorted, rather than the "two bosses" scenario we had at the beginning of the window, with TS still around.

Similarly, it's not ideal that Gallen has left this month. Surely you'd want him to stay until the window closes to maintain some continuity?
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    I also wonder how much the decision of Gallen to leave during the window is going to finder our business.

Targets may have changed but there will also be players that we have wanted for a while. Gallen may have developed a rapport with some and other agents, now that has gone we could be starting from scratch in that department.

I accept him leaving, just think at the end of the window might have been better for all.
    The timing of the change of regime has been unfortunate. If they arrived in March, then they would have hit the summer transfer window completely in control, and with targets already sorted, rather than the "two bosses" scenario we had at the beginning of the window, with TS still around.

Similarly, it's not ideal that Gallen has left this month. Surely you'd want him to stay until the window closes to maintain some continuity?
    Continuity for what reason ? Scott is at least as experienced as SG and will want things done his way not by someone who is known to be leaving. I think SG was perfect as a transitional person when Scott first arrived in January. I doubt very much if he feels the need to be assisted at this point.
  • Im quite sure positive moves will happen before the window, that most of us will be happy about.  FFP dictates a lot, clubs hanging on until the last minute. We are a league one club and I think it’s the reality. we have to rely on some raw youth, with some gambles, and probably a couple of players you could do without. 
  • There's an outside chance that the 60% of turnover of wages rule is affecting us, but we really do not have to be worried about FFP. 
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

Continuity for what reason ? Scott is at least as experienced as SG and will want things done his way not by someone who is known to be leaving. I think SG was perfect as a transitional person when Scott first arrived in January. I doubt very much if he feels the need to be assisted at this point.
    I don’t think it’s about being or needing to have the assistance. I don’t think we can underestimate the degree of importance that having a relationship with others in the game or with agents and specific targets has on getting a deal done.

Scott will have his network and relationships, my concern was have we cut our nose off to spite our face and have to start from zero with Gallen leaving 3 weeks before the window closes.
    Id imagine there was a handover period to have discussions together with various clubs and agents
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

I don’t think it’s about being or needing to have the assistance. I don’t think we can underestimate the degree of importance that having a relationship with others in the game or with agents and specific targets has on getting a deal done.

Scott will have his network and relationships, my concern was have we cut our nose off to spite our face and have to start from zero with Gallen leaving 3 weeks before the window closes.
    Definitely both Gallen and Scott will have their own contacts but agents play as big a role as anyone these days. Every agent will exactly know what player positions we need and will without a doubt be banging on our door. I’m not sure why someone like Scott needs or would welcome the previous persons input. Managers come in with their own ideas and methods and stand or fall by their decisions. They had their transitional period. Scott is the man now. Gallen has gone.
  • Scott Banks signs new deal with Palace and goes abroad on loan
  • Sponsored links:

• Is gallen leaving really an issue this window?

im assuming there will be a record of his list of players to watch and a hand over meeting?
  • Looks like we have no one signing now for the weekend. Really hope we have a few lined up next week.
  • MrBurns said:
    Looks like we have no one signing now for the weekend. Really hope we have a few lined up next week.
    Maybe 1 or 2 will need to move on first..

Out of interest, if you sign a youth player on a long term contract, on a decent wage, does that work for FFP?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    MrBurns said:
    Looks like we have no one signing now for the weekend. Really hope we have a few lined up next week.

Out of interest, if you sign a youth player on a long term contract, on a decent wage, does that work for FFP?

Not sure how it works with U21s not counting towards a squad limit , I think it should be all okay. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    MrBurns said:

What if they don't want to?
  • Would be amazed if FFP was an issue for us, counted over multiple years and we haven’t spent a huge amount. Holden wanting a smaller squad is more likely to be an issue for us in terms of incomings. On outgoings we’re going to do well to get decent deals as I think everyone knows we’re desperate to get rid of certain players 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    MrBurns said:

i've heard the same, 2 to go in the next week or so. Hoping it's Kirk and DJ tbh
  • Would expect DJ and Egbo to go assuming Asiimwe is fit for Saturday. Kirk will be a last few days one