Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited August 2023
    Redhenry said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Redhenry
    what exactly is your concern with the ownership? I know you used to have some ITK links is the dislike driven from there or is this just a hunch on the lack of signings?
    The lack of signings. Also the signings made in Jan, they were under Andy Scotts watch, some seem to have forgotten those.
    Most new owners at other clubs will have raised the money to buy the club and enough to invest in the squad to at least have a crack at promotion. I'm hoping they will invest in the playing squad, but I am a little disappointed so far...
    It can't all be like when sandgaard took over and you reported that 7 players were going to sign on day 1!
    In defence of Sandgaard we missed out on a lot of key targets and still signed a number of players that should have been able to do a job. It seems they had the wrong manager to achieve that. 

Now every window after that was a let down, Dobson and JRS aside. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Don't know why people are attributing Alfie May to the new owners. According to Reams, May wasn't one they were keen on particularly because of his age and sell on, and his transfer was more led by the previous recruitment team.
    Then why was it still pushed through, if we didn't want him (Charlton and Holden) we would not have signed him. 
    Apparently Holden wanted him so the new owners relented, which is fair enough.

As for the new owners in general, I'm hopeful and not in Red Henry's camp just yet. Have never been happy with Methven and the way the PR machine was working while they were trying to wrestle control - especially trying to rebrand it as the 'Friedman consortium' (where is he again?) and how the PR kept talking about his billions, and yet after the takeover its become 'never said they were spending millions'. It was a real bait and switch job.

However, it's good to see professional people in positions and the transfer activity thus far seems good on the face of it.
  • I have a bad feeling that we will end up with 4 young loan signings, which would be a huge gamble.
  • Redhenry said:
    I have a bad feeling that we will end up with 4 young loan signings, which would be a huge gamble.
    Depends on whether it's only 4 young loan signings (which yes absolutely would be bad) or 4 young loan signings in addition to others (which may or may not be bad depending on those theoretical others.)

However I am withholding judgment until we know which of those situations we actually end up in.
  • Redhenry said:
    I have a bad feeling that we will end up with 4 young loan signings, which would be a huge gamble.
    I think we will but that’s in addition to two permanent signings.
  • Tja, After last nights kerfuffle, seems like we need to find some boys who don't play in their house shoes. Alas, Life is no pony farm! 
  • Redhenry said:
    we all hope you're right.
  • Fully expect us to fill out the loan slots anyway , it's just standard League 1 things. If we are playing the waiting game for the pick of the PL loans it does feel like a slightly dangerous game to play. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Tja, After last nights kerfuffle, seems like we need to find some boys who don't play in their house shoes. Alas, Life is no pony farm! 
    Had to google TJA :)
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    we all hope you're right.
    I think it’s very simple. We either do and give ourselves a shout or we miss out on top six. 
  • I think we'll get:
    2 ST, one loan and one permanent 
    1 AM/Winger on loan
    1 RWB (Sess most likely)
    1 CB on loan
  • sam3110 said:
    I think we'll get:
    1 AM/Winger on loan
    1 RWB (Sess most likely)
    1 CB on loan
    This would be ideal.

The key signing however is the perm striker. That’s where we need to push the boat out & bring in quality. Goals get you promoted and we don’t have many in the current side.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Yeah that would be shite. Especially when we need at least the following:

CB, LWB, RWB, CM, FW, FW

If not more!
    I can’t see us signing two more full backs and we’ll only sign another CM if two go. 
  • sam3110 said:
    I think we'll get:
    1 AM/Winger on loan
    1 RWB (Sess most likely)
    1 CB on loan
    This would be ideal.

The key signing however is the perm striker. That’s where we need to push the boat out & bring in quality. Goals get you promoted and we don’t have many in the current side.
    I still think we need a high quality CB as I’m not totally convinced by our current crop of indeed our defence. I’d add a left sided defender/wing back to the above list too. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Yeah that would be shite. Especially when we need at least the following:

CB, LWB, RWB, CM, FW, FW

If not more!
    I can’t see us signing two more full backs and we’ll only sign another CM if two go. 
    I think most are taking for granted that one way or another we’ll offload 4 or 5. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    140 new posts…of bickering.

Some people really need to take a deep breath - and maybe limit their social media use to an hour a day. 
    Don’t tell us what to do…😉
  • sam3110 said:
    I think we'll get:
    1 AM/Winger on loan
    1 RWB (Sess most likely)
    1 CB on loan

Ideal window if we can get all that done really. Could see loan CB being a bit of a hard sell to a parent club but it would only need a knock to make them a regular 
  • edited August 2023
    Redhenry said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Redhenry
    what exactly is your concern with the ownership? I know you used to have some ITK links is the dislike driven from there or is this just a hunch on the lack of signings?
    The lack of signings. Also the signings made in Jan, they were under Andy Scotts watch, some seem to have forgotten those.
    Most new owners at other clubs will have raised the money to buy the club and enough to invest in the squad to at least have a crack at promotion. I'm hoping they will invest in the playing squad, but I am a little disappointed so far...
    I agree to a point, but I really believe that Scott’s main remit in January was to get rid of the players that Holden did not want. Given his wages, and form, I was pleasantly surprised that he managed to get Stockley out the door permanently and offload a number of the others on loan. 

I do think we have better players available this season in May & Camara. I’m hopeful others such as Taylor & Edun will also be an improvement on what we’ve had before.  There’s a lot to be done and we have a few weeks to get there whilst trying to get as many points as possible. 

It’s possible to be optimistic about what the new owners will do to get us there, without gushing about them and remaining wary of them. Fingers crossed that they have the ambition and funds to get what’s needed as soon as possible. 

• Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Explain why that's a lol pls?
    Because they've been in place for two weeks

They've had input since the January transfer window
    House buying time

a purchaser can go and measure for new curtains during the purchase but it's very risky to purchase the curtains until the contract has been signed. Unfortunately, someone may have already bought the curtains during that time
    Absolutely right with the new curtains analogy. But what if the carpets are moth ridden and you regret replacing the curtains first of all?
  • Didn’t we always suspect that the first six games was all about hanging in there until we complete our business ? I’m sure we’ll look very strong once the window has shut. 
    But why wait 5 matches before being "very strong" ? We could be 5-6 points behind the leaders by that point. 

And (as usually happens) any players we sign don't generally start the next game. The window closes on Friday1st Sept & my best guess is that anyone signed late that week wont be playing on the Saturday.  That's 6 games gone. 
    Point taken Golfie but some clubs will want to do there business later in the window to get there own replacements etc. 

I dont know this for any kind of fact but it wouldn't surprise me if Exeter have that stance with Nombe for example. 

Ideally, you want your team done and dusted before season kick off but what you want and what you get are 2 very different things. 

I think some signings will be in soon but we all have to patient.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    sam3110 said:
    I think we'll get:
    1 AM/Winger on loan
    1 RWB (Sess most likely)
    1 CB on loan

Ideal window if we can get all that done really. Could see loan CB being a bit of a hard sell to a parent club but it would only need a knock to make them a regular 
    Not IMO, none of them are dead certs to start, Thomas is the only one comfortable on the left so if they're left footed they can potentially take over from him, and all of Lloyd, Hector and Ness have been making mistakes in pre season and now so far. 
  • I still don’t think we are far off at all. Put one new striker into this team and it would make a huge difference and I think be enough for us to get in the top 6 with Leaburn returning soon also. If we could add a couple of new defenders in as well (1 wing back, 1 centre back) then I think we’ve got a good chance of getting in the top 2. 

To only be 3 or 4 players short at this stage is a good position to be in compared to previous years, it’s only the injuries that have made things a bit tough for the next couple of games. I doubt any team will win 5 out of 5 so we won’t be far off the top at the end of the window 
  • edited August 2023
    If Orient had kept Smyth or had Dan Agyei playing they would have scored.

We were lucky to play a team with a forward line as depleted as ours (bearing in mind Piggott is also not yet fit).

Let’s see what happens on Sat against Peterborough’s forwards. Definitely agree we need another CB. The current crop won’t get us many clean sheets.